Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
Results 706 to 720 of 869
  1. #706
    Damn fool idealist DailyRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,676
    Thing is, I'm at about the same point in the story in the book as the show is, and the dire wolves haven't really done much more in the book except be mentioned more often. As far as actual plot consequences, everything they've done in the book has been on-screen.

  2. #707
    Registered User Roland 85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    815
    Untrue. There is a number of scenes where the wolves decide the outcome. Like, for example, the wildlings' attack on Bran in the forest, where Summer wasn't even present in the show. Not to mention Shaggydog is not in the show AT ALL. Now, I know that Ricon isn't important to the story for now, but there is a number of scenes with his wolf getting more and more wild. Of course, you can't really do that with glorified huskies...

  3. #708
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland 85 View Post
    Untrue. There is a number of scenes where the wolves decide the outcome. Like, for example, the wildlings' attack on Bran in the forest, where Summer wasn't even present in the show. Not to mention Shaggydog is not in the show AT ALL. Now, I know that Ricon isn't important to the story for now, but there is a number of scenes with his wolf getting more and more wild. Of course, you can't really do that with glorified huskies...
    Shaggydog and Bran getting wild is mostly shown once they are on the run from Theon. Really that wolf is in the book the least, minus the ones that died. I am VERY disappointed myself. I loved those wolves! But to be fair, the are merely for decoration(we assume). They have no major plot points thus far in the book, and are likely not to. It's like, Jaime running around in shiny gold armor. If you take away his shiny gold armor, it doesn't change anything with the story, just makes it a tad less appealing. So I think for HBO's sake, they only put the wolves in there because they were in the book, not because they have anything to do w/how the story unfolds.

    People who haven't read the book and are just watching the show, are not upset about these things.

  4. #709
    Registered User Roland 85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    815
    I am not really "upset" either. I don't do direct comparisons because it's stupid to do so. I just think - either do this kind of detail right, or not at all.

  5. #710
    Humble Grifter Luya Sevrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    1,358
    We know how large direwolves grow in the TV Show, given the size of their dead mother. I see no reason to panic. HBO likely just want to draw it out. If all goes well their second season budget will be bigger.

    As for Miri, no matter the original reasoning, I do believe George and the show might be taking it down the 'It's her fault from the start' route, because, well... 'Stop helping me. QAQ IT STINGS!' Doesn't seem like a very Dothraki thing to say. Even if he did get supersticious, he wouldn't admit that. Plus, the guy is whipped bad by Dany now. xD

    Also, again, YEY SYRIO!

    He totally escaped and -waves hand in front of face- Magic!

    I also wished Selmy would have taken down all five of those Kingsguard men. Huff. What an absolute idiot Joffrey is...Or his mother. I mean, if you honestly have concerns for Selmy's ability at least keep him on for admin and PR reasons. You don't want that guy as your enemy. I also thought Petyr making a joke at him was something dumb that he wouldn't do. It's like insulting national treasures, it never comes off well for you - A good PR mogal should know this.

    Syrio v Bronn v Selmy please. -whine-
    Last edited by Luya Sevrein; June 8th, 2011 at 02:49 PM.

  6. #711
    Ataraxic Moderator KatG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In the Sea of Tranquility
    Posts
    12,014
    Well, first off, Grey Wind can't tear through the Lannister army because they haven't fought the Lannister army yet. Second, yes, Ghost makes sounds because the t.v. audience isn't going to get why Ghost doesn't make sounds unless you spend dialogue time explaining it, which they can't afford to do. And yes, there was no guard outside of Jon's door who got killed, Ghost didn't attack the wight and then have to be called back to avoid being set on fire, and they didn't have the raven saying distinct words, or the zombie hand creeping up Jon's body into his mouth, because that all costs money and is too complicated and involves exposing the dog to fire. The key thing was zombie attacks commander, Jon sets it on fire, so we know what kills them and Jon gets out of the trouble he's in. They did that. Summer wasn't in the Bran wildings scene for the same reason -- he wasn't absolutely necessary. This is not the story of people who run with a pack of killer wolves. But when a wolf is necessary -- warning Jon of danger, taking two fingers off an uppity lord, attacking Joffrey -- then they will be there. And that's the best they're going to do for now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luya Sevrein View Post
    I also wished Selmy would have taken down all five of those Kingsguard men. Huff. What an absolute idiot Joffrey is...Or his mother. I mean, if you honestly have concerns for Selmy's ability at least keep him on for admin and PR reasons. You don't want that guy as your enemy. I also thought Petyr making a joke at him was something dumb that he wouldn't do. It's like insulting national treasures, it never comes off well for you - A good PR mogal should know this.
    They don't have any qualms about Selmy's ability. They don't trust him, he's already an enemy and he was there when they assassinated Robert. They don't kill him because at this point it would be very suspicious, although if he'd refused to go, they would have. Petyr makes his joke to embarrass Selmy and cause him to stomp off -- which will save Selmy's life.

  7. #712
    Humble Grifter Luya Sevrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    1,358
    That makes more sense, Kat. All though Selmy never seemed like the storming off type. xD

    Also, think of Nymeria and her pack. The wolves are stirring in Book 2, BUT by Book 4 they are described as dragging men from their horses, and the bitch that leads them is scarily large. (Some comparrison to a horse is made.)

    So, yeah.

    It's like puppies. It's been about... 3/4 months in the books? A puppy would not be fully grown yet. They have gone from how tiny Summer was to the size of normal wolves (large dogs). Calm. xD

  8. #713
    Boba Fett Lives Daddy Darth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Annapolis Valley Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,624
    Not sure where to post this but its about the show, so. . . Anyway I was at some training for work today and a couple of us were chatting up the show and met another person who is totally loving it - but has never read the books. She was telling me how much she liked Ned and Drogo - I did not spoil it. Anyway We talked up the books and the next thing you know on lunch break we make for the book store where she bought the first four. It was a buy three get the fourth free. Score!!

    Anyway it was pretty cool.

    Cheers.

  9. #714
    Humble Grifter Luya Sevrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Darth View Post
    Not sure where to post this but its about the show, so. . . Anyway I was at some training for work today and a couple of us were chatting up the show and met another person who is totally loving it - but has never read the books. She was telling me how much she liked Ned and Drogo - I did not spoil it. Anyway We talked up the books and the next thing you know on lunch break we make for the book store where she bought the first four. It was a buy three get the fourth free. Score!!

    Anyway it was pretty cool.

    Cheers.
    That's awesome. : D Makes me happy.

    Oh yeah, I forgot to say. My partner and I were watching it and it was so funny when Rikkon walked in all sniffly. He was like 'Who's that?' xDD

  10. #715
    Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Well, first off, Grey Wind can't tear through the Lannister army because they haven't fought the Lannister army yet. Second, yes, Ghost makes sounds because the t.v. audience isn't going to get why Ghost doesn't make sounds unless you spend dialogue time explaining it, which they can't afford to do. And yes, there was no guard outside of Jon's door who got killed, Ghost didn't attack the wight and then have to be called back to avoid being set on fire, and they didn't have the raven saying distinct words, or the zombie hand creeping up Jon's body into his mouth, because that all costs money and is too complicated and involves exposing the dog to fire. The key thing was zombie attacks commander, Jon sets it on fire, so we know what kills them and Jon gets out of the trouble he's in. They did that. Summer wasn't in the Bran wildings scene for the same reason -- he wasn't absolutely necessary. This is not the story of people who run with a pack of killer wolves. But when a wolf is necessary -- warning Jon of danger, taking two fingers off an uppity lord, attacking Joffrey -- then they will be there. And that's the best they're going to do for now.
    Sorry dude but I disagree. The direwolves are vital to the story. Bring on the CGI. Martin set that up from the beginning. Heck in some cases the wolves are more interesting then their Stark owner. Lady, Grey Wind, Shaggydog...all cool. Sansa, Rob, Rickon...couldn't care less.

  11. #716
    Gloriam Imperator kged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    355
    Was it just me, or was that episode about 19 minutes long? I'm not sure I can handle the intensity. And we've barely got started...

  12. #717
    Humble Grifter Luya Sevrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    Sorry dude but I disagree. The direwolves are vital to the story. Bring on the CGI. Martin set that up from the beginning. Heck in some cases the wolves are more interesting then their Stark owner. Lady, Grey Wind, Shaggydog...all cool. Sansa, Rob, Rickon...couldn't care less.
    I have to agree, they were.

    Ghost and Grey Wind were part of many combats, and probably saved their Master's lives and enhanced their reputations. Ghost, especailly, found many items that were integral to the movement of the plot and now who knows where he is? Poor Grey Wind, though. :C

    Summer is even more inportant. If he had not saved Bran and Cat then the whole set-up of the series would be different, and he is basically a PPV character half the time---opening up Bran's warging skills.

    Lady, while dieing early on, is a metaphore and a warning and could be niportant. Nymeria is becoming inportant and I tingle at the mention of the raging Riverland wolf pack.

    Shaggydog, well, at least he's WITH Rikkon.

    The whole idea - five wolves and a runt. How convinient. Stupidly so, actually, for Martin. They are inportant in my view.

    But I still don't really worry about their size or anything, and they are being used a lot more often now.

  13. #718
    Quote Originally Posted by Luya Sevrein View Post
    I have to agree, they were.

    Ghost and Grey Wind were part of many combats, and probably saved their Master's lives and enhanced their reputations. Ghost, especailly, found many items that were integral to the movement of the plot and now who knows where he is? Poor Grey Wind, though. :C

    Summer is even more inportant. If he had not saved Bran and Cat then the whole set-up of the series would be different, and he is basically a PPV character half the time---opening up Bran's warging skills.

    Lady, while dieing early on, is a metaphore and a warning and could be niportant. Nymeria is becoming inportant and I tingle at the mention of the raging Riverland wolf pack.

    Shaggydog, well, at least he's WITH Rikkon.

    The whole idea - five wolves and a runt. How convinient. Stupidly so, actually, for Martin. They are inportant in my view.

    But I still don't really worry about their size or anything, and they are being used a lot more often now.
    Luya, do you speak another language fluently?

    I think everyone can agree that we have no idea how important these wolves are. The books will soon tell us. And remember if this is season 1 of a 6 season series(hopefully at least), then they have time to fix their mistakes.
    Last edited by chris777; June 8th, 2011 at 06:42 PM.

  14. #719
    Humble Grifter Luya Sevrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    Luya, do you speak another language fluently?

    I think everyone can agree that we have no idea how important these wolves are. The books will soon tell us. And remember if this is season 1 of a 6 season series(hopefully at least), then they have time to fix their mistakes.
    Are you being sarcy? 'Cause it always completely goes over my head online when there's no intenation. xD

    Not everyone agreed.

    But yes, I do.
    Last edited by Luya Sevrein; June 8th, 2011 at 06:46 PM.

  15. #720
    Registered User Werthead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,654
    The CGI team for Season 1 was made up of six people.

    The CGI team for Season 2 is going to be made up of thirty people.

    So yeah, I think it's safe to say we'll be seeing CG direwolves and probably more involved and more ambitious CGI in general (exploding warships on the Blackwater, anyone? Though probably only a couple of shots) in the second season. It's going to be interesting to see how they handle Pyke, Dragonstone and Harrenhal, which are all fairly interesting designs in the books, and Qarth, a huge bustling city of the kind they've avoided doing so far (though that may change in this week's episode, which has more stuff in the city of King's Landing itself rather than just the Red Keep).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •