Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 LastLast
Results 826 to 840 of 869
  1. #826
    Humble Grifter Luya Sevrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by beniowa View Post
    Great episode and I loved the end with the dragons. The whole scene worked just right for me. I have to admit I'm surprised at picking complaining about Dany's hair. Really? It's a minor detail. Who cares?
    Clearly, me.

    It wasn't such a major thing, true. I just noticed it was all.

    I don't think there's anything wrong with the fact that I didn't think the last scene was as awe-inspiring as most do, just a difference of opinion. It wasn't how I imagined it, though seeing Dany standing up, all ashen, in such a desolate place had a certain power to it. I did like it.

    Quote Originally Posted by beniowa View Post
    Yes, and that was my thought too. Who plays the part might shed light on the whole theory which is why they might be keeping it under their hats for now. Or it could totally be a red herring. Personally, I'm in the Syrio /= Jaqen camp myself.
    Well, I was of this impression too until I realized they may simply get different actors if the guy is a Faceless Man. Which will just continue the debate - which could be fun.

  2. #827
    Registered User beniowa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by Luya Sevrein View Post
    Clearly, me.

    It wasn't such a major thing, true. I just noticed it was all.

    I don't think there's anything wrong with the fact that I didn't think the last scene was as awe-inspiring as most do, just a difference of opinion. It wasn't how I imagined it, though seeing Dany standing up, all ashen, in such a desolate place had a certain power to it. I did like it.
    Sorry, I didn't mean you personally. A lot of people elsewhere have been noting the hair thing as well and I've been saying the same thing elsewhere too.

  3. #828
    Fulgurous Moderator KatG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In a Cloud
    Posts
    12,289
    It's extremely unlikely that Syrio is Jaqen. The Faceless Men are a religious guild of ritual assassins who train for years and undergo all sorts of tests and can change their faces with magic. They worship the god of Death. Syrio was the First Sword of Braavos and spent years studying the sword, not to assassinate people with. His art is to avoid death. When and why would he have time to study poisons and hide out with the Faceless Men? If he was a Faceless Man, why give fencing lessons? Why would Kings Landing let the Watch take an incredibly important prisoner like Syrio, if Syrio was a prisoner, and not notice that his looks had changed and his name was now Jaqen? So it doesn't really make any sense. Either Syrio is dead, though since Cersei still thinks he's a dance master, it seems likely Trant lied about that to her, or he escaped. If he found himself in a convoy with Arya, he'd have no reason to hide his identity from her, nor to completely change his entire personality.

    The man you could see most clearly in the prisoner cart in Episode 10 was apparently supposed to be Jaqen. Don't know if they'll have white streaks in his hair or decided to skip it, as you couldn't see him that clearly. Biter was the other prisoner you could see sitting next to Jaqen, so Rorge was presumably the guy who was hooded.

  4. #829
    Uh, Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    3,606
    OK, I've been holding off posting, mainly because I was a late starter to watching the show, but also because I have issues with adaptations and wanted to give it a chance as a series to impress me, rather than writing it off based on one or two episodes.
    As an adaptation telling the key story, I think it is OK. It gets the meat of the story on the screen, and captures a lot of the feel for the books. Where it really fell down for me was with the characters. I didn't feel anywhere near the affection for the on-screen characters as I did the book characters. Beloved figures from the book like Bran and Arya didn't make me like them at all - I think it's an effect of moving from a lot of time spent in POV based chapters to a few scattered moments here and there amongst a vast cast. They didn't have the time or the focus I felt needed to make me feel the way I did in the book.
    This had an interesting side effect. The characters I liked best in the show tended to be non-POV characters from the books (I hesitate to say minor characters). I'm thinking of Jorah and Bronn in particular - they really stood out to me, and I enjoyed seeing them on screen more than the "main" characters.
    While I'm moaning about characters, I need to make mention of Tyrion. I know people are raving about Dinklage, but for me I think he missed the mark. The lines are all there, but there was no impishness in their delivery - I was hoping for something a bit more mischievous and thought he played it a bit too droll and sarcastic.
    Overall, my enjoyment of the show mostly came from it reminding me of the books rather than being entertaining in its own right.

    Finally: a win for reading. I convinced my brother to watch the show and he's now started the books.

  5. #830
    Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, CANADA
    Posts
    6,156
    Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    The man you could see most clearly in the prisoner cart in Episode 10 was apparently supposed to be Jaqen. Don't know if they'll have white streaks in his hair or decided to skip it, as you couldn't see him that clearly. Biter was the other prisoner you could see sitting next to Jaqen, so Rorge was presumably the guy who was hooded.
    No, the men we saw were Rorge and Biter. Jaqen was the hooded one (most likely because they haven't cast the role yet).

    But I agree that the S=J theory holds no water.

  6. #831
    Illustrious Gambler saintjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    in a pimped out airship baby
    Posts
    4,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    Nope, that was her real body. The only rendered part was the dragons, and maybe some of the background. IMO, it was perfect.
    That is generally considered the correct way to portray dragons. Four legs is wrong. Look it up.
    C'mon EA, everyone knows dragons are supposed to have a big beefy arm coming out of the back of their necks.

  7. #832
    Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    It's extremely unlikely that Syrio is Jaqen. The Faceless Men are a religious guild of ritual assassins who train for years and undergo all sorts of tests and can change their faces with magic. They worship the god of Death. Syrio was the First Sword of Braavos and spent years studying the sword, not to assassinate people with. His art is to avoid death. When and why would he have time to study poisons and hide out with the Faceless Men? If he was a Faceless Man, why give fencing lessons? Why would Kings Landing let the Watch take an incredibly important prisoner like Syrio, if Syrio was a prisoner, and not notice that his looks had changed and his name was now Jaqen? So it doesn't really make any sense. Either Syrio is dead, though since Cersei still thinks he's a dance master, it seems likely Trant lied about that to her, or he escaped. If he found himself in a convoy with Arya, he'd have no reason to hide his identity from her, nor to completely change his entire personality.

    The man you could see most clearly in the prisoner cart in Episode 10 was apparently supposed to be Jaqen. Don't know if they'll have white streaks in his hair or decided to skip it, as you couldn't see him that clearly. Biter was the other prisoner you could see sitting next to Jaqen, so Rorge was presumably the guy who was hooded.
    How do we know Syrio was the first sword of Braavos? Maybe that was just his backstory to cover his real identity, I assume it's pretty hard to do a good background check in Westeros. And why give fencing lessons? Again, it's cover. Why would he be in Kings Landing in the first place? Who knows the answer to that. One might question how a faceless man got captured and ended up in the dungeon in the first place. Why would they let an important prisoner go to the wall in the first place? Just a couple weeks ago a prison in California accidently let a bunch of criminals go, you don't think it just might be a little less organized in a dungeon in kings landing without some basic amenities like computers or literacy?

    Personally I don't think it's Syrio, just that your arguments are pretty weak.

  8. #833
    Humble Grifter Luya Sevrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    1,355
    I agree it seems too... convinient for Syrio to be Jaqen, but then George does do quite odd convinient plots sometimes amoung his realism.

    The 'No self-respecting Faceless would be caught!' thing makes me laugh. Martin's work is REALITY in fantasy, so the good guys die first, and yes, even supposed badass assassins can be caught.

    However, I do not agree with Kat's reasoning as to why the theory if farfetched.

    Why would Trent tell Cersei that he was a dancing Master if he escaped him? That would surely make him look rediculous. He would deffinetly own up and tell her he was some kind of hired bodyguard by Eddard or something. Unless, he wanted to make up some excuse as to why he wasn't inportant enough to be slain if he had escaped him.

    Also, as for being captured - Syrio isn't an inportant prisoner. They think he is a dancing Master, and he was only hired by Eddard, he is not his bannerman nor is he even Westerosi. He's a nobody. They might not even know of his skill. It is also hinted, alot, that 'people go missing in these cells' - I think was the quote from Varys or something.

    Also, if Syrio is a Faceless he could have killed the man known as Jaqen and taken his identity at any point. This is why I don't go in for the usual counter-theory that 'Jaqen was already in the cells.'

    All though if we go with Syrio being a Faceless Man in any way, he could have simply killed Trent and taken his identity. I personally doubt everything though and go for the 'He outran the idiot wearing 200 pounds of steel' theory.

    I don't think that Syrio has to be a Faceless Man exactly - I think that only came about due to his skill and the Jaqen theories. He is a very skilled water dancer, just because he uses a quick and agile style doesn't make him an assassin. From everything we saw of Jaqen he's into underhand tactics more than water dancing, but then, every persona is different. Syrio is also clever in his words, so when Arya tells Jaqen 'Kill Jaqen H'ghar,' I'd see him just changing his face and replying 'He is dead,' like a smartass.

    Also, to note, that there are many Eastern representetives at Court including the man Arya saw talking (was that meant to be Illyrio? I never got that...) It was never really noted in any way how the court had the Fabled 'First Sword of Braavos' tutoring some noble girl. Rumours like that were always kind've... mentioned.

    However, after watching episode 8 I really think that Syrio is alive (in some form or another.) George has shown himself to be one who doesn't really like Fanfiction or rumours, he even says he doesn't know why he's constantly asked these Syrio questions. I'd deffinetly see him putting an end to the speculation that gets to him so much and killing Syrio off on screen if that's what he wanted. Also, we heard a sword either being dragged up from the floor or knocked from Trent's hand on the show. I do think too much planning goes into these episodes for that not to mean something.

    Then again, my first thought when reading it has always been that it's George dismissing the 'You think he's dead?' trope that is so often used in Fantasy, just like he dismisses various prophercy tropes. -Shrug-

    Either way, I'd be sad if Syrio was a Faceless - I find their teachings paradoxical and I find them annoying to be honest, religious cults, uh. Plus, Syrio is very cool as himself, so I hope he is 'real' so to speak. But I'd be sadder if he died.

  9. #834
    Fulgurous Moderator KatG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In a Cloud
    Posts
    12,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    How do we know Syrio was the first sword of Braavos? Maybe that was just his backstory to cover his real identity, I assume it's pretty hard to do a good background check in Westeros. And why give fencing lessons? Again, it's cover. Why would he be in Kings Landing in the first place? Who knows the answer to that. One might question how a faceless man got captured and ended up in the dungeon in the first place. Why would they let an important prisoner go to the wall in the first place? Just a couple weeks ago a prison in California accidently let a bunch of criminals go, you don't think it just might be a little less organized in a dungeon in kings landing without some basic amenities like computers or literacy?

    Personally I don't think it's Syrio, just that your arguments are pretty weak.
    LOL, I think the arguments for Syrio being Jaqen are pretty weak.

    There seems to be a lot of confusion around about the three guys in the cart, so I guess we'll see who's who next year.
    Last edited by KatG; June 22nd, 2011 at 12:52 PM.

  10. #835
    Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    LOL, I think the arguments for Syrio being Jaqen are pretty weak.

    There seems to be a lot of confusion around about the three guys in the cart, so I guess we'll see who's who next year.
    You mean next month? Isn't this argument about if Syrio is Jaqen is a Faceless man? Not, "Is the TV show going to make them the same person". AKA, we may find out in ADWD.

  11. #836
    Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, CANADA
    Posts
    6,156
    I don't see how there can be any confusion about the guys in the cart.

    Biter has sharp teeth, if you pause and look closely.

    Rorge is missing a chunk out of his nose (not his entire nose like the book, but close enough).

    Jaqen is hooded (i.e. faceless), probably because they haven't cast him yet.

  12. #837
    cynical master of time Cymric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    246
    I think they got Gendry spot on

  13. #838
    Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, CANADA
    Posts
    6,156
    This is too awesome not to share...



    But seriously, I have to say I loved Glover's performance as Pycelle. Made me appreciate the character much more than in the books. Maester Luwin was also outstanding.

  14. #839
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    This is too awesome not to share...



    But seriously, I have to say I loved Glover's performance as Pycelle. Made me appreciate the character much more than in the books. Maester Luwin was also outstanding.

    yeah. they just seemed to exude reverence and wisdom.

  15. #840
    Illustrious Gambler saintjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    in a pimped out airship baby
    Posts
    4,506
    Well much like in the books Luwin came off as a very legit maester and Pycelle is like the corrupted leader version. The show has really revived in me my dislike of Pycelle. I can't tell you guys how much I am looking forward to Tyrion screwing him over in season 2.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •