Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by End Of Disc One View Post
    Spoiler:
    It's been confirmed on Westeros that they were talking about a conversation between Robert and Cersei. Ran from Westeros said he wasn't a big fan of this scene though because he couldn't see it happening in the book, but that this Cersei is different.
    Scratch what I said then.

This post will reveal that spoiler. /\

I'm quite interested in their relasionship, the way it is played out here. Cersei's actress states that she was sure she loved Robert when they married but that love died over time, when reading AFFC it was clear she had always wanted Rhaegar and knew (and felt) nothing of Robert. She stated she was only really happy at their Wedding Feast and the first time he bedded her. To be fair though, up until AFFC, I thought that she may have had some love for Robert at first, so that's why she felt pushed out by his love for Lyanna. None of it makes any sense! Bah. I suppose she can be jealous and not love him, too.

We already know though that Robert was abusive more than a few times, and I do remember a clip of the scene now, of them talking. It's odd, though, it seemed... civil. Far more civil that what I would imagine.

Correct, this Cersei is different, however the nature of her character plays such an inportant role in AFFC, I hope they can still pull that through. Because I can't see this Cersei making those choices, yet... Depends how messed up she gets over Joffrey.

I don't think we got to see all of Cersei in episode 1, just like in the books where by the time you get to Crows and realize how barking mad she can be. Its like meeting someone for the first time, you have to see them in different settings and situations to truly get to know them.

Isn't this great!

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    23, 15 and 13

Though she was 22 when she filmed those scenes, so fair enough. And I don't think they're going to say 15 on-screen so that's not important. Her being 13 in the books (she turns 14 whilst they're crossing the Dothraki Sea) is a bigger point though.
    Dude, do you take notes, or do you seriously have this good of recall? This is going to come across as flattery, but I'm floored with your ability to produce timelines and facts from complex series like ASOIAF and Malazan.

Since I don't even have HBO anymore, I was thrilled beyond belief to find and watch a pirate version last night.

Positives:

Plenty. From the first scenes, everything is so close to my mind's eye image of Martin's prose. The Wall was awesome, so vast, and it's huge presence only emphasizes the vast evil it is designed to keep out.

Like all the best HBO shows: Sopranos, 6 Feet Under, Deadwood, Band Of Brothers, The Pacific, the production values are outstanding. Very gritty and realistic, the costumes and sets are stunning in detail.

As nearly everyone as mentioned, Arya and Tyrion are note perfect. I guess their characters are among all ASOIF fan favorites, and so far at least, these two parts have been casted very well. We have not really seen all that much from Arya yet though.

The Targayens are again cast perfectly. Bean is excellent as Ned, I think he will eventually own this role and may even overcome his Boromir typecast image.

Bran is well cast also, and I thought the kid did a good job in the first episode.

I'm OK with the Lannister's, Jamie is pretty close to what I expected. Cersei is a bit different then I expected, but I'm OK with it. I know the whole show has GRRM's approval, and I heard he was very pleased with the first episode, so I am not going to complain too much about some things I was not that happy with.

The actress playing Cersei is very attractive and all that, but somehow, I thought she would be a little more spectacular on the hot scale. Perhaps that will change with makeup and once they get back to King's Landing and her complete wardrobe. Going to be very interesting once we get to meet the Lannister patriarch.

Cat is well cast also, really looking forward to the rest of her story.

The opening credits were fantastic IMV. I loved the spinning gears, pretty easy to understand the symbolism there, that is visually The Game of Thrones, the Machiavellian internal intrigue and politics we all understand so well as Martin readers. Brilliant portrayal of the wheels within wheels that are about to be unleashed upon our beloved characters.

I also liked the fact that they seem to treat the series with some even hands. Instead of pandering to those folks who have not read the book, those who have read the book are rewarded. We don't have to sit through a lot of character naming, we already know who these characters are. If you have not read the books, you have 2 choices: - Let the series introduce you to the characters naturally.- Do the research on your own, with the net being the obvious way to get up to speed.

Good job HBO there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhauric View Post
    But overall I have to say it was well done. Maybe it's just me but one of my favorite scenes was when Robert arrived and seeing all the Starks lined up next to each other. I don't know why but that scene stayed in my mind and was my favorite...odd as that is.
    You are not alone there, I really liked that scene also. Really the first time we get to see almost all the main players, the King, the Lannisters, the Hound and all the Starks all together on stage. I could not help but think about all the turmoil that awaits all these characters.

Negatives:

Very few really. I have learned not too expect that much from beloved books turned into movies.

Yes, some problems with the wedding scene and Danerys character, but I also think some of this is hard to portray in just the one episode. I expect to see her character blossom in the show pretty much as she does in the book, perhaps in a little different way then Martin originally did in the book.

I have to assume that Martin agreed to the changes we saw, and will surely make sure our exiled Queen will be the Mother of Dragons we all know and love.

Still, some of the flaws that have been pointed out are a little bothersome, and I just have to think it has to be blamed on HBO.

As far as all the exposed breasts and sex, hell, I'm all for it, but even I have my limits. My limit is how comfortable would I be watching some of these scenes with my Mom or Grandmother.

I'm OK with Jon Snow, but so far at least, the older Stark boys have been cardboard cutouts. By this point in the book, I think I identified with the older Stark boys too, and not just Bran, Jon Snow and Arya.
    Last edited by NeonKnight; April 28th, 2011 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    HBO is saying 15? WTF? That actress looks way older than that and is way older. Crazy.
    I think the writers realised this and have eliminated references to her age from the show, at least in the first two episodes. In addition, since they've changed the timeline since the war, I'm not sure it's possible for her to be 15, maybe 16 at the youngest.

Hey Wert who did they cast to play Stannis for next season? And how are they doing the seasons btw? Will next season be based off of A Clash of Kings?
    No casting decisions have been taken about Season 2 at all at the moment. Stannis is one of the bigger roles of the season and it'll be interesting to see who they get for it. Lots of the fans want Christoper Ecclestone, but he's notorious for taking off from ongoing TV series earlier than expected (which he did for Doctor Who and Heroes). Mark Strong is a popular choice, but he's too big a movie star now for that to be realistic. Maybe if it was a three-episode thing he'd do it for the prestige of working with HBO, but Stannis is around for the duration (or at least up until Book 5).

Season 2 will be A Clash of Kings. However, only getting 10 episodes appears to be a problem, since they wanted more and perhaps start bringing stuff from the much longer Book 3 into Season 2. Only getting 10 episodes for ACoK means that they'll need to split Books 3, 4 and 5 (which all run into one another's timeline) over at least four seasons.

OK, now I'm just fascinated. Does anyone know - or care to speculate about - what that might refer to?
    End of Disc One answered this, which is interesting as I thought it was a different scene:

Spoiler:
    One where Robert is talking to Barristan and Jaime and starts tearing Jaime to shreds about his Kingslaying, and Jaime looks more and more enraged since he is pretty righteous that killing Aerys was something that was right and 'justice'. He also gets into an argument with Eddard about it.

However, then I realised that that scene would have to be before Episode 5.

Spoiler:
    Since that's after Tyrion is captured and Jaime and Eddard have their confrontation outside the brothel, after which Jaime flees the city.

I'd be happy with Eccleston being in the show, though I wouldn't have him as Stannis, not in any regard. Also, dropping out of Doctor Who isn't a bad thing as the show can always move on. I mean, yes, the Doctor only has thirteen regenerations but it seems Steven Moffat has scrapped this along with every other Doctor Who trope that made me--- -rantrantrant-

Anyways - David Tennant in the series. <3 My wish. Trying to think... Crow's Eye, maybe, if we get that far.

Tennant for Crow's Eye? Funny, that - the instant I read Tennant's name in your post, I found myself thinking "Damphair!". I think he could really pull off the fanatic bit.

Did anyone else take quite a long time to figure out that Damphair is Damp Hair, and not Damfair? I has teh stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by kged View Post
    Tennant for Crow's Eye? Funny, that - the instant I read Tennant's name in your post, I found myself thinking "Damphair!". I think he could really pull off the fanatic bit.

Did anyone else take quite a long time to figure out that Damphair is Damp Hair, and not Damfair? I has teh stupid.
    Heh, I did. >D

I was thinking Crow's Eye mostly for some kind of mix between Casanova and his 'Dark Doctor'. Though, yes, he does fanatical well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyloot View Post
    Dude, do you take notes, or do you seriously have this good of recall? This is going to come across as flattery, but I'm floored with your ability to produce timelines and facts from complex series like ASOIAF and Malazan.
    Dude Wert likes ASOIAF almost as much as I like The Kingkiller Chronicle.

On the real you gotta respect a dude who has that kind of loyalty. Says a lot about a person.

@Wert - Don't let your head get too big now I am still trying to figure out how you managed to give The Dragon's Path a better rating than WMF

Who would have ever thunk I would be watching this show. Damn HBO and their solid writing, directing, and casting.

Cheers.

I don't think David Tennant is going to do a brief role in the show. Maybe a memorable and fairly substantial cameo where he has a lot to do but doesn't stick around for too long (maybe someone like Oberyn, but I think that's James Purefoy's role to lose). Damphair is a role that recurs across at least three books/seasons, though each appearance is brief, which could be tricky from a scheduling point of view.

Otherwise the likelihood is that someone of Tennant's profile would only want to do an important and relatively major role (so a POV character, since they're also the main characters in the TV show) or a memorable cameo. Certainly working with HBO is something on most actors' radar, so he'd probably be up for it. For the former, the only new role coming up like that is Davos, since almost all of the other new POVs are either very minor (Aeron, Arys, Areo etc), female (Brienne) or previously-cast characters stepping up (Jaime, Sam, Cersei etc).

Tennant isn't as old as Davos is, but he could probably do a good take on the character. My preference for that role would be Philip Glenister (Gene Hunt from Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes) though.

Steve Buscemi as Damphair. BRILLIANT!

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    Cheers.

I don't think David Tennant is going to do a brief role in the show. Maybe a memorable and fairly substantial cameo where he has a lot to do but doesn't stick around for too long (maybe someone like Oberyn, but I think that's James Purefoy's role to lose). Damphair is a role that recurs across at least three books/seasons, though each appearance is brief, which could be tricky from a scheduling point of view.

Otherwise the likelihood is that someone of Tennant's profile would only want to do an important and relatively major role (so a POV character, since they're also the main characters in the TV show) or a memorable cameo. Certainly working with HBO is something on most actors' radar, so he'd probably be up for it. For the former, the only new role coming up like that is Davos, since almost all of the other new POVs are either very minor (Aeron, Arys, Areo etc), female (Brienne) or previously-cast characters stepping up (Jaime, Sam, Cersei etc).

Tennant isn't as old as Davos is, but he could probably do a good take on the character. My preference for that role would be Philip Glenister (Gene Hunt from Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes) though.
    I would love Tennant as a psycho, quite honestly. He plays evil so well, he can give a really scary intense stare, or the kind of casual evil he had on 'Secret Smile'.

Excellent choice for Davos. I love Gene Hunt.

There are many a good cameo coming up, though. Mance, for one, I think would be memorable and clearly inportant, as well as uh, countless southern Lords.

For women there's some good roles. Melissandre, Margery, Asha...

...Brienne. I'm really damned interested to see who they get for Brienne. People in tv land seem to have the funniest ideas about what constitutes "ugly" these days.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Let's keep the casting discussions in the correct thread. This thread is for discussing the actual episodes.

Tomorrow is Episode 2 - The Kingsroad!
    Last edited by Evil Agent; April 23rd, 2011 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    ...Brienne. I'm really damned interested to see who they get for Brienne. People in tv land seem to have the funniest ideas about what constitutes "ugly" these days.
    How could I forget? Yes... I'm thinking she'll just have wonky teeth and be a bit broad.

Technically, this threads for everything to do with the show, the title doesn't state episodes. Don't worry, I'm sure the disccussions will peter out towards Saturday and BURST UP again on Sunday/Monday the whole time. Let people chat!

It'll be fun to see ratings tomorrow.