Game of Thrones Casting Discussion

So the game has begun.. I personally loved the first episode. I see great things coming, I am disappointed with some of the casting choices though. Thought may be can make a list of good and bad casting choices, and see what others think also. Here goes -

Great Choices - The Stark children, Lord Eddard, King Viserys, Khal Drogo, Tyrion Lannister, Ser Jorah, Ser Rodrik, Little Finger (still to be seen in action though I liked the previews)

Reasonable Choices - Jon Snow (fits the requirements for sure, but does not look as sharp as I had pictured him), Cersei (could have done much better, looks very artificial, but good actress), Jaime (could be better feature wise but he does talk and act like the king-slayer from the book), King Robert (disappointing but still digestible)

Poor Choices - The Hound (terrible, makes me fear that the writers have shortened his role in the series), Daenerys (not nearly as regal and Targaryenish, she would spoil my mental image of her), Magister Illyrio, Catelyn Stark (disappointing, but it would easier to hate her later on , Joffrey (where are your pouty lips kid?)

These are my opinions only though, and mostly based on the first episode only.
    Last edited by paulprithu; April 18th, 2011 at 03:09 AM.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I personally love all the casting!

We already have a few threads, though, for discussing the series.

Here's the EXTREME SPOILER THREAD.

Here's the NON-SPOILER THREAD for newbies.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    I personally love all the casting!

We already have a few threads, though, for discussing the series.

Here's the EXTREME SPOILER THREAD.

Here's the NON-SPOILER THREAD for newbies.
    I see ser. Therefore lets keep this thread solely to discuss the casting choices, I daresay that was what I originally intended. This is sure to to grow as we take a look at the other characters as the series progresses.

Regarding castings, even if the rest are acceptable (and most of them are more than that I agree), I still can not handle the Hound. He is one of the most popular and complex characters. The makers should have done better.

That thing about the Hound kind of worries me too. I do not know the actor, and have not seen him bar pulling his helmet up, but in the photographs he didn't seem anything like his written-conuterpart.

He may be amazing.

I just worry that you are right and Sandor will not have as big a role. But, I only worry because I love him.

I'd have thought, if nothing else, his purpose of exposition for his brother and his storyline with Sansa would be inportant because HBO like weird-relasionship storylines, but, they seem to be pushing the Petyr's a creepy stalker thing, so. -shrug-

But yes, check out EA's threads.

the Rake
    I don't think its reasonable to evaluate casting choices based on appearance. Its far too early to make determinations regarding casting.

Not really relevant to the conversation but Daenerys is smoking hot

Quote Originally Posted by mshnd06 View Post
    I don't think its reasonable to evaluate casting choices based on appearance. Its far too early to make determinations regarding casting.

Not really relevant to the conversation but Daenerys is smoking hot
    Which is why I said he may be amazing.

I think we'll all have to give it some time to 'evaluate' anything.

Also I agree on Dany, she's beautiful and yey for full on nakedness so early! But she had an odd ass shape. xD Does that count as evaluating?

Blog Entries
    I understand the concern about Dany, though as I remember reading the book I don't expect her to seem 'regal' at this point in the story. If she can pull it off by the time her brother 'gets his gold' I will be pleased.

Casting for All the Lannisters is excellent, same with all the Starks.

Actually to make this shorter, I don't have a major problem with anyone I have seen on screen so far. I hope I can still say that 9 more episodes from now.

My one 'casting' concern so far might be with the Dire pups! Due to the difficulty of having them grow to their true size for the series I am concerned that their role (such as it was) might be glossed over too much. I know it's not a huge thing in some ways but I loved them all in the book.

BTW- I would have LOVED as two-hour series premier instead of the one hour we got! Spoiled? Yes. I am.

Don't know how anyone can comment on The Hound, he had like one line of dialogue so far.

...talikng about first impressions only of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I don't really think that's the same thing at all, actually Rob.

i have really thought the casting choices were perfect for every character.
    the other day i was wondering about the mountain and was thinking he just wasnt big enough but then when i looked him up hes actually a bit over 7 feet tall, i guess it just hasnt come across on screen yet but when it does it will be obvious as hell, hes also a fellow Australian, we are all big dudes down here fyi.
    im especially liking little finger, that guy is great as him.

For the next series, I'm curious who Brienne will be played by... although this could be a bit early lol

The Mountains height could be emphasized more, but when you see him towering over his brother, and the Hound towering over Lorras Tyrrel you can see he is huge.

Someone suggested casting Miranda as Brienne, and now I cannot think of anyone else who would be half as good a choice. She is an English comedian whose work if fairly traditional and slap-stick, very funny. The question is whether she can act seriously, physically she seems absolutely perfect to me.

Miranda Hart