Help me remember a book (please)

I am trying to find a book that I read about 10 years ago. A Friend recommended it to me and I checked it out of the public library. Unfortunately, I don't know the name or author.

It was about a planet with lots of different tribes. The main character was from a tribe that could regenerate and they got Iron from a spaceship by harvesting organs and putting it in some kind of 'dumbwaiter' to the spaceship.

There were like 20 tribes and each had it's own 'special ability'

The first one he went to visit was a people that lived in trees. Then, he started going around and learning all of the powers from all of the
    different races. He learned to slow and speed up time and had an encounter with some desert people and became their leader be burying himself in the sand (or something). And basically became the baddest guy on the planet.

Then he settles down and becomes a farmer or something and some evil guy is chasing him and he moves to a very remote part of the world and the
    evil guy catches up to him. They have a final battle and (of course) the main character wins.

Thanks for your help in advance.

A Planet Called Treason By Orson Scott Card
    Also published as Treason
    The first is the original published version in 1979 and the second has 10% new material that the Card added in 1988. I'm about 99% sure this is the book.

chocky is right, the book is A Planet Called Treason by Card. I remember it clearly since I re-read it a short time ago.