Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

June Fantasy Discussion Nominations

Hi all,

Time for some nominations for a June discussion book. Here's the "rules":

1. Everyone can nominate one book and second a reasonably small number of other books.
    2. Books must be available new in US and UK (I just check the two Amazons for this). They should also be in a format other than hardcover, so as to keep costs down.
    3. Books must be standalone or book 1 in a series (usually not a problem in SF).
    4. They can't have been book club books before. The list of previous discussions can be found in the book club forum...it's not quite up to date yet, but it's updated through 2009.

Since I just picked it up used, I'll nominate Necroscope by Brian Lumley.

Also, since I have it (in omnibus form), I'll nominate Elizabeth Moon's Sheepfarmer's Daughter.

I'll also nominate Graham Mcneil's Heldenhammer from Warhammer Fantasy, the first of The Sigmar Trilogy. The second in the sequence, Empire won the most recent David Gemmell Legend Award.

Didn't we recently have Paksenarrion as a Book of the Month?

I'm going with a controversial nomination this time to see if I force myself to give it a shot:

The Law of Nines by the one and only Terry Goodkind

Just in time to get into the mood of The Omen Machine coming up.

I don't have strong opinions about Rob's nominations one way or the other (simply because I'm not familiar with the books), but we did do the Moon a while back.

I don't think I'll be seconding the Goodkind. Probably wouldn't even make an effort to read it if it did get selected....

How about Shadow's Son by our own resident Jon Sprunk?

[QUOTE=Bastard;637648]Didn't we recently have Paksenarrion as a Book of the Month?[/URL]
    Yes, we did. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    I'm going with a controversial nomination this time to see if I force myself to give it a shot:

The Law of Nines by the one and only Terry Goodkind

Just in time to get into the mood of The Omen Machine coming up.
    Wow, you are a funny guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerwell View Post
    How about Shadow's Son by our own resident Jon Sprunk?
    Shadow's Son seems like a good idea, but I question the benefit since I think many here have read it already. But with the sequel coming up in June it might be nice timing.

Looking at my bookshelves to see if I find something to suggest, but having a tough time of it.

The one I would bring forward is Secrets of the Sands by Leona Wisoker, but being from a small press I question if it's worth mentioning considering that the paperback are $13+. But it's a book I enjoyed last year quite a bit, author debut. Sequel came out recently.

Others I have pending that I want to give a look but haven't motivated myself to is Drowning City by Amanda Downum and The Crown of the Blood by Gav Thorpe.

What about some Urban Fantasy? I just got myself Vegas Knights by Matt Forbeck and it sounds like fun. Getting mixed reviews, and the bad reviews seem to be because of a bad tagline "Harry Potter meets Ocean's Eleven" and the book not meeting that description/expectations.

@Rob, I was actually half joking. But I really want to check it out. I'm one of the few that enjoyed SoT, but I know no one here is interested in it.
    Last edited by Bastard; April 28th, 2011 at 07:36 PM.

Actually, I'd be up for the Wisoker. It's been on my radar for while, and this would give me a reason to go for it.

I'm nominating this one because I just bought it:

The One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - J. K. Nesmin

Uh, Moderator
    I'm sorted of interested in Vegas Knights, but have a bad feeling it'd read like a poor man's Last Call.

Quote Originally Posted by NickeeCoco View Post
    I'm nominating this one because I just bought it:

The One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - J. K. Nesmin
    I second this nomination even though I already read it. It was throughly enjoyable and a fresh take on Epic fantasy. I will also tactfully clarify that her name is N.K. Jemisin.

And I nominate THE POISON THRONE by Celine Kienran, which I am always right about to buy when a new Bakker, or Abercrombie, or Malazan pops up.

Where are we here folks? So far we have three books that have shown a little interest with nothing really exciting more than one or two people. Anyone holding out on us, or should I post a vote between a few of these?

I suppose it's Point 3 that's causing issues, Erfael. In the coming months, it's (Almost) nothing but sequels, or at least seems that way.

I've got a bunch of books I'd be willing to discuss, but as I'm quite behind with reading everything, my suggestions generally won't work. I'll list what I'd be willing to read, though.

1. The Sentinel Mage - Emily Gee
    2. Legacies - L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
    3. Graceling - Kristin Cashore
    4. The Summoner - Gail Z. Martin
    5. Elantris - Brandon Sanderson
    6. Shadow's Son - Jon Sprunk

I can't think of anything else, and no doubt most of them have been discussed already.

I'll second SHADOW'S SON, it looks good,

I'll also second Elantris because I only read it a little while ago so it's still fresh.

I wouldn't mind The Sentinel Mage by Emily Gee as I have it already.