View Poll Results: Best Abercrombie book?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Blade Itself

    10 23.26%
  • Before they are Hanged

    3 6.98%
  • Last Argument of Kings

    7 16.28%
  • Best Served Cold

    10 23.26%
  • The Heroes

    13 30.23%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1

    Favourite Abercrombie book and character(s)

    So I just finished the Heroes and like all his books, loved it. So yeah, I was curious what you guys all thought of his work.

    Personally I've loved every book of Abercrombie's, and seriously all of his characters, but Best Served Cold definitely struck the strongest chord with me. I loved the brutality of it, the grimness, and the scale, all of which seemed to just be taken to a new level past the First Law Trilogy. Something about revenge stories just seems to work so well too, and it had some truly brilliant and just plain cool scenes. I also felt his prose improved a lot from his first rhee books. Plus it had more of Nicomo Cosca, who is by far Abercrombie's funniest character.

    My favourite character is probably Shivers though. I'm not even sure why, he's just bad ass. And I really felt for him in his failed struggle to be a better man in Best Served Cold.

    Next favourite would be Glokta and Cosca, for obvious reasons. Then Bayaz, Logen and Monza. I just love them all!

    Your turn

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    354
    Blog Entries
    1
    For me Glokta was by far the most interesting character and the most fun to read. After that Cosca and only then does Logen appear on my list. Logen was awesome, but that just gives scale to how well-written I think the other two were!

  3. #3
    I like all of Abercrombie's books. Best Served Cold is my favorite and Heroes was my least favorite but I would recommend all of his books. When it comes to characters Monza, Glokta, and Logen are my favorites.

  4. #4
    Before they are hanged was my favorite. The huge battle with the feared and all the flat heads was epic. Death of threetree's was tragic

    Logan is my favorite character, followed closely by Shivers. Logan is such a great character and it's weird that Joe hasn't had him in as many stories as he has Shivers, but I'm betting that changes during the next 4 books.

    I also love Joe's Northman group's, Dogman and company and Curnden Craw and company. Joe has a way with the group dynamic, the humor, brotherhood, everything about his "crew" writing is the best! I guess those two groups would be my 3rd favorite "character."

    I love all of Abercrombie's books, and whenever a new one comes out it jumps to number one on my to-read list.

  5. #5
    Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Omnibus District
    Posts
    2,471
    Each successive one becomes my new favorite. That having been said, my current favorite would be The Heroes, but will drop down once the next one is out.

    Overall, my favorite character (and its hard to pick, they're all pretty damned good) is the Dogman. For the Dogman, its a crazy, mixed-up world with tons of garbage coming down on everyone, everywhere. You can only work your way through it as best you can, one step at a time. As bad as that may be, you still don't have to take anyone's abuse. I loved the scene in The Heroes where
    Spoiler:
    the Dogman tells Calder to stick it up his ass (euphemistically speaking), recalling that Calder and his brother had no problems executing Forley the Weakest when sent to merely bring a message to Calder's father

  6. #6
    Thus far I've only read Best Served Cold (although I've got the First Law trilogy in my to-read pile).

    My favorite character in the book was Friendly. Such a strange, yet fascinating character. I'm hoping we see more of him in future books.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    Each successive one becomes my new favorite. That having been said, my current favorite would be The Heroes, but will drop down once the next one is out.

    Overall, my favorite character (and its hard to pick, they're all pretty damned good) is the Dogman. For the Dogman, its a crazy, mixed-up world with tons of garbage coming down on everyone, everywhere. You can only work your way through it as best you can, one step at a time. As bad as that may be, you still don't have to take anyone's abuse. I loved the scene in The Heroes where
    Spoiler:
    the Dogman tells Calder to stick it up his ass (euphemistically speaking), recalling that Calder and his brother had no problems executing Forley the Weakest when sent to merely bring a message to Calder's father
    Yeah me too. I loved the loyalty to his crew that showed, even after so long. The Dogman is just a good ****ing bloke.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyye View Post
    Before they are hanged was my favorite. The huge battle with the feared and all the flat heads was epic. Death of threetree's was tragic
    Yeah that was great. But I thought the last battle in Last Argument of Kings was better.
    Spoiler:
    When Bayaz says "The First Law? Rules are for children. This is war, and in war the only crime is to lose." in my head I was just like "YES!!!!!!!!!". Seriously awesome, epic stuff.
    I love the Gurkish, and seeing them get killed



    Honestly Joe Abercrombie has overtaken GRRM as my favourite fantasy author. I think all his books are better than ASOIAF with the exception of A Storm of Swords, which I'd put on par with Best Served Cold.
    Last edited by TooNice; October 14th, 2011 at 10:28 PM.

  9. #9
    Another character that I really liked was the poisoner Morveer.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Yeah me too. I loved the loyalty to his crew that showed, even after so long. The Dogman is just a good ****ing bloke.
    Some day if Joe ever has the time, I'd like to see him do a prequel to Blade that focuses on the Threetrees/Dogman/Logan crew when they were in their prime. From their formation up until the battle with the flatheads that started book 1.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyye View Post
    Some day if Joe ever has the time, I'd like to see him do a prequel to Blade that focuses on the Threetrees/Dogman/Logan crew when they were in their prime. From their formation up until the battle with the flatheads that started book 1.
    Yes, definitely! I really enjoyed the northmen POV's.


    Oh and I'm quite surprised the Blade Itself has 3 votes.....it was a great book don't get me wrong, but not a lot happens in it compared to the second two books of the trilogy. It really did just feel like a set up.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Oh and I'm quite surprised the Blade Itself has 3 votes.....it was a great book don't get me wrong, but not a lot happens in it compared to the second two books of the trilogy. It really did just feel like a set up.
    I voted for it because it was the first, and while I was reading it I was constantly going "this is so coooooooool", "ooooooooo, lookit that!", and so on.....

  13. #13
    I agree that Abercrombies work is getting consistently better, yet, for me, Best Served Cold has a more interesting theme and works better as a standalone than the Heroes.

  14. #14
    BSC was my favourite book, and Monza is probably my favourite character. I can't really say why either is my favourite, as there isn't much difference separating each of the books and each of the more popular characters, its just they resonated with me just a titch more. Although, I've never been a big fan of Glokta, where others seem to be fond of him. But I think my choice of Monza is probably not all that popular.

  15. #15
    The Heroes is my favourite by far, just finished reading it yet again yesterday. It inspired me to read them all again, but I lent The Blade Itself to a friend so I settled for Before They Are Hanged.

    Favourite character is hard to choose, I like Shivers, and Craw, but I need to read them all again as I haven't the main trilogy in a while before I could settle on a favourite.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •