Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb - Ok for a first time Hobb reader?

Ok, well not really a first time Hobb reader, but I've only read Assassin's Apprentice.

But If I read Dragon Keeper, would I be completely lost? Or does the series work on its own? Im asking because the concept of the story sounds really amazing.

Also, any thougts on the book?

Dragon Keeper can be read stand-alone, but it would be more rewarding if you had read the Liveship Traders series first. Plus, it's nowhere near as good as that series.

By all accounts it builds on the events of The Liveship Traders trilogy and features some of the same characters, so it will spoil the ending of TLT if you later go back and read that series.

I just got the most recent catalog from the Science Fiction Book Club, which features the second book in this pair. The summary of the plot in the magazine sounded like the story could be boiled down to, "a group of people sail up a river, and the group gets separated into smaller groups that still make their way up the river".

Please tell me that there's a lot more to the story than this. I think I would get aggravated if the entire two books were just this. I mean, I know there are mysteries about the Rain Wilds and Elderlings from her other books, but I really hope that the entirety of these two books is not just about a single trip upriver with some resolution to these mysteries. Jules Verne took people Around the World in 80 Days in less than 200 pages, I hope Hobb didn't need over 1000 to go up a dang river!

Ken

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Did you only read Assassin's Apprentice, or did you read the entire Farseer Trilogy?

Considering that Dragon Keeper is the 10th book set in that world, I can't see it being the best place to start.

No, i found it pretty slow and overly drawn out, check out her earliest books before diving into this one.

Does Dragon Keeper ever say anything about Wintrow and his wife (Nina I think her name was?)

Not that i can recall, it has Brashen, Paragon and....... lol **** i forget her name.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrambles View Post
    Not that i can recall, it has Brashen, Paragon and....... lol **** i forget her name.
    Althea Vestrit?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrambles View Post
    No, i found it pretty slow and overly drawn out, check out her earliest books before diving into this one.
    That's always been the knock on Hobb's writing. She starts out slow and then delivers later in the series. It's just her style.

I personally love it. Few authors really give us the opportunity to really enjoy a world and characters before the journey begins or the dark lord is attacked, but Hobb does. Same with her endings. So many finish the book a few pages after the conflict is resolved. Hobb gives the reader a chance to enjoy that conclusion WITH the character as life goes on.

She's a gem in my book. I hope she lives to 110 and never stops writing.

Inter spem metumque iacto Julian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyloot View Post
    I hope she lives to 110 and never stops writing.
    Those two things might be mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Those two things might be mutually exclusive.
    Really? That's your contribution to this thread? Nice! Thanks for responding. I really appreciate you taking the time to take part in this conversation by pointing out that one cannot die AND write forever.

A Fantasy Freak
    I don't think its a good place to start. If you really didn't care for Assassins, then you might try The Liveship Traders first, as this book relates back to the events in that series. Although I don't think you have to have read Liveship, but I think you would get more understanding of the background and enjoyment from Dragon Keeper if you know what happened in Liveship.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Just using this thread to post some interesting updates:

Robin Hobb just gave some confirmations for her next two novels.

City of Dragons:

US release: February 2012
    UK release: April 2012

Blood of Dragons:

US & Uk release: April/May 2013

Disappointing news for English language readers, I will definitly pick up the Dutch editions now. Blood of Dragons comes out at the end of this month, 1.5 years ahead of the first language release. Never seen anything like it.

That's seriously weird Mith. I'm sure there's some logical explanation wrapped up in there somewhere, but as a devoted reader, that's just weird. Sigh, what a bloody long time to wait!