Not sure whether to be amused or horrified by this:

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/0...maesters-path/

For fans?

Or to persuade new initiates?

What do you think?

Mark
    Mark

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    The campaign is pretty much over now, but it was definitely very creative and unique. I've never seen anything like it. Along with the food trucks (yes, trucks were giving out Westerosi food all around NYC and LA) HBO did a good job of making the "Game of Thrones" name as visible as possible.

(I do think the actual puzzles on the Maester's Path were generally too hard for the uninitiated. It was probably more for the hardcore fans and to get the more prominent critics intrigued).

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    What do you think?
    I think publishers should perhaps do more things like this. It's common, to some degree, in the film industry and even the games industry to a degree, but I'd love to see book publishers try and do it.

Just imagine the event if it was for, say, Modesitt's Recluce Saga or even Moon's Paksenarrion thingy? You could sample salted beef, dry cheese, eat slightly stale bread and walk around in grey/brown robes for the day! I know I sound a little sarcastic there, but it'd be great to get people into these books and raise awareness of this whole genre and so forth.

I'm sure we can put up with a few geek-chic people if it means we get to experience our favourite books, right?

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post

Or to persuade new initiates?

What do you think?
    Wow - is what I think.

First, no one can afford this kind of marketing unless your books are REALLY popular.

Second, I'd be all over it, but only if it was close. I'm lazy. If it was in my town, I'm there. If not, well...I might drive a hundred miles or so, but not much more.

When I was in NY city, there was SO much advertisement, much more than at home in the UK.

I thought that there would be much more of a fan base in the US now?

ATM i'm in Canada and they're not even showing it, which is a shame because I think it has the potential to do well here.

Quote Originally Posted by xElednorx View Post
    When I was in NY city, there was SO much advertisement, much more than at home in the UK.

I thought that there would be much more of a fan base in the US now?

ATM i'm in Canada and they're not even showing it, which is a shame because I think it has the potential to do well here.
    Canada has it. It's on HBO Canada. My one girlfriend has a GoT party every week and has friends over to watch it as it airs.

Seriously? I couldn't find it on the channel list!
    Oh that's so irritating now I'm home

Thanks though