Results 1 to 15 of 48
May 10th, 2011, 08:27 PM #1
Quibbles (PROBABLE SPOILERS!! Non-readers, play safe and stay out)
Maybe it's because I can't sleep, maybe it's because I'm just naturally curmudgeonly, but I feel a need for a griping thread. We are all (me included) gushing wildly over the show, and I instinctively want to balance that with a little corner of the board for complaints, queries, and general whiny piffle about the little (or big) things in the show which are not as we would like them.
Actually I may be letting myself down here by kicking off with what borders on a serious question - in the conversation in ep3 where Ser Jorah and Rakharo are swapping professional opinions, Ser Jorah says that a broadsword's main job is to pierce plate armour. Does that sound right to any resident sword buffs? I'm sure I've read recently that the general current school of thought is that swords were for cowing the populace (i.e. unarmoured civilians), and perhaps equally for simply showing that one was of the knightly classes and above, but that for combat against an armoured knight they wouldn't do much more than inflict bruises; the tool for the job of killing a man in armour being a warhammer, or poleaxe. Any thoughts?
Quibble 2: they say "Dothrakki", not "Dothrarki". Being from England may be in factor in this one...
Quibble 3: I don't like the pronounciation of "Hoe-dur" either. Too much like odour! In my head it was always "Hoddor", and even though that's clearly wrong it still feels right to me.
Come along, one and all, join in the snarkery! We need some antidote to the lovefest!
May 11th, 2011, 07:31 AM #2
May 11th, 2011, 08:20 AM #3
Ooooh, a thread for whining, just my kind of thing. Always pronounced it doth-RAH-kee, by the way.
1) King's Landing: Doesn't look like the city as described in the books at all. Far too mediterranean for my tastes.
2) Kit Harrington's performance in Episodes 1-2
3) Decrease of titties per episode
4) Winterfell establishing shots. Looks like a Star Wars town with those weird tower roofs.
5) Direwolves almost absent much of the time. Especially Ghost. So weird when he suddenly appears as if out of a portal through time and space in Ep 4.
6) I feel the directing isn't that interesting in the first two episodes for many reasons.
7) The whole prologue bit is off.
8) Pacing is occasionally off.
9) Feels like characters are teleporting between locations, no feel of the relative distances between places
12) Dragon eggs look dodgy
13) Khal Drogo's eyeliner
14) Some awkward acting in a few scenes (not many fortunately); thinking primarily of Arya when she talks to her dead sitting on the chest in Ep 3, and Daenerys talking to Jorah about how crap her brother is in Ep 4 (the maester's path scene), Yoren
15) Bit unfair to complain about stuff that is not in there (like the direwolves) but ... I miss certain things. Simple as that.
16) The soundtrack...bland
17) Completely understandable from a technical point of view, but I miss the grandieur and scope of the novel; everything is so small, like the tourney of the hand
18) Petyr Baelish is far too wooden
19) Sandor Clegane is meh
I'll stop here lest you think I don't enjoy the TV series, 'cause I do. So for balance, here are 19 things I really dig as well:
1) Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon, really good performance
2) The swapping war stories scene in Ep 3 is perfect
3) Love the scene where Tyrion comes to break fast with his siblings at Winterfell (Episode 2)
4) Peter Dinklage owns even though the character isn't exactly novel-like
5) Sean Bean is great
6) The Syrio Forel/Arya scene in Ep3 is lovely
7) The series is highly entertaining
8) Lots of lovely nods to readers of the series that fly by non-readers
9) Strong performances almost all across the board
10) Daenerys naked
11) The Castle Black scenes in Ep 3 and especially Ep 4 really come close to the feel of the novel
12) Love that scene with Old Nan and Bran ("I know a tale about a boy...")
13) Episodes have exciting endings so far
14) Loved the Mycah/Joffrey/Arya/Sansa-scene.
15) The "new" scenes are for mostly improvements
16) Mixing up Bran waking up with Lady going down was clever
17) The banter between Jory Cassel and Ser Jaime in Ep 4
18) Scene decoration is often top-notch and detailed; Grand Maester Pycelle's office is a good example
19) Lots of dialogue straight from the book
May 11th, 2011, 08:24 AM #4
- Join Date
- Sep 2009
Sansa can't pronounce her sister's name.
May 11th, 2011, 08:28 AM #5
Nobody can They all say "ajja" or something.
May 12th, 2011, 03:35 PM #6
I am now aware that Bronn is played by Jerome Flynn.
Yes, that one.
Overseas folk may be baffled here; let me explain that Jerome Flynn is half of one of the most execrable "double acts" of all time, Robson & Jerome. They were actors in a very low quality military soap opera together, and then started releasing records...yes, it really is as atrocious as that makes it sound. I mean, come on - BRONN doing this?
So now I already hate Bronn, after one line in ep4. Damn, he is going to have to be GOOD to win me round.