Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thirstyVan View Post
    I don't have much in the way of nitpicks. They gotta do what they gotta do, after all. I think it's all a little too rushed, but again... meh.

But srsly. What the hell happened Sunday night. Did they really need to shoehorn in the relationship between Renley and Loras? Where the heck did that come from? I mean, I vaguely remember it being subtly hinted at in the series. Maybe... I can't remember all the details that well.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Oh, and did they kill Jorry (sp?)? Cos wtf?!?! He's kind of important later on!
    Jory dies in the book, in the very same scene. Maybe you're thinking of another character?

And Renly and Loras are definitely gay in the books as well, although it's only hinted at.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    Jory dies in the book, in the very same scene. Maybe you're thinking of another character?

And Renly and Loras are definitely gay in the books as well, although it's only hinted at.
    I thought Jory showed up later, with the Lightning Lord and that whole gimmick. Wasn't he the one that identified Arya when she ran into them? Or was that someone else...

Quote Originally Posted by thirstyVan View Post
    I thought Jory showed up later, with the Lightning Lord and that whole gimmick. Wasn't he the one that identified Arya when she ran into them? Or was that someone else...
    That was some guy named Harwin (son of Hullen).

----------
    Last edited by Johnny B; May 18th, 2011 at 06:53 AM.

I watched this episode again last night and it struck me that they should have cast someone with a little more muscle tone for Loras. It seems that someone with the ability to unhorse The Mountain would have a better physique. This guy has the build of a 7 year old boy and doesn't look as if he could lift a lance let alone hit someone hard enough to knock him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
    I watched this episode again last night and it struck me that they should have cast someone with a little more muscle tone for Loras. It seems that someone with the ability to unhorse The Mountain would have a better physique. This guy has the build of a 7 year old boy and doesn't look as if he could lift a lance let alone hit someone hard enough to knock him down.
    But he's so cute!

Quote Originally Posted by tragic View Post
    But he's so cute!
    ya... not really. I had both of the same gripes for Ser Loras. The actor, while decent looking, isn't exactly what you'd call handsome, and not the type to make women swoon like he was described in the books. Also the muscle tone comment is spot on. Somebody who has trained in sword and mail every day since he could carry them and who is considered one of the top knights in the 7 kingdom's wouldn't end up all skinny like that actor who plays him.

I am not happy with Renly being such a wuss either. Squeamish and and scared of blood? Really?

I also agree with the comments on Winterfell's architecture. It is ridiculous that the northernmost seat of power in the realm would have those huge flat roofs. They get loaded with snow and collapse! Looks more like Sunspear than Winterfell if you ask me.

While we are griping, the casting of a few characters is pretty questionable in my opinion. Catlyn is the most glaring misstep to me. In the books she is supposed to be approximately what? Early 30's at the oldest and good looking besides. The actress is like 45, and nothing too special at that.
    Renly and Loras are both too skinny and out of shape and not good looking enough. Lysa looked like skin and bones in the last episode, not the plump little woman that she was supposed to be in the books.

i guess thats it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by ginshun View Post
    Catlyn is the most glaring misstep to me. In the books she is supposed to be approximately what? Early 30's at the oldest and good looking besides. The actress is like 45, and nothing too special at that.
    Wow, people are still going on about this? First of all, Ned is supposed to be 35 in the books but the show has aged him up to 50. Hence, Cat is aged up as well. Also, most people seem to be loving Michelle Fairley's portrayal so far (she brings some sympathy and realism to the character).

I said the same exact thing. Ridiculous in my opinion. How is that even acceptable?
    I am not happy with Renly being such a wuss either. Squeamish and and scared of blood? Really?

I see a lot of people saying that he's squeamish and scared of blood. I did not get that reaction. He cut him to show him "See this? You're going to see a lot of this. Get used to it." Not because he is scared of seeing it. I thought anyways.

Catlyn is the most glaring misstep to me. In the books she is supposed to be approximately what? Early 30's at the oldest and good looking besides. The actress is like 45, and nothing too special at that.
    Renly and Loras are both too skinny and out of shape and not good looking enough.
    In this kind of environment and period. One would assume age 35 looks much like our current age 50. Therefore Catlyn being 45 IRL, is acceptable being mid 30s in the show. I think she is doing fine. And she was NEVER touted in the book as being a looker.

Could be.
    Her being good looking is probably me projecting what I was thinking when I read the books and not necessarily what was said in the books. I am pretty sure that the books say how beautiful Sansa is though, so I guess I pictured Cat being beautiful as well. For what it's worth my wife thought the same thing the first time we saw her.
    I agree, most (all?) of the actors are older than their characters are supposed to be, Catlyn is just the one who stood out the most to me.
    I will concede that the actress is doing a fine job. My issue was more with the casting than the portrayal.

He was riding a mare that was in heat, which screwed up the Mountain's horse. That's how he was able to win. Besides, with jousting, it's not just how hard you can hit, but where.

Regardless, when we see him with his shirt off in his scene with Renly, he looks like a 100lb weakling, not a knight who has trained everyday of his life with sword and armor.

Let's not forget, Loras is also a stud in the melee, not just joust. You don't win a melee with a hundred other armored knights without some muscle.

The Hunter Rose Grendel.. Grendel's Avatar
    I have to say that it has been 10 years since I read the 1st three books in the series, and I JUST finished reading GoT and CoK and the homosexuality thing totally passed me by this time. I might have put 2 and 2 together in SoS since there seems to be more implied in that one.

Here is a good site I found.
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/mlarchi...orasrenly.html

I only bring it up because at first, I thought this was purely made up when I first saw the episode. I have gay friends and have no problem with the lifestyle, but my first thought was that they were pandering to a gay audience. There was a lot of important groundwork laid in that scene, but I thought they (writers) were just trying to cater to another audience... but it was my mistake. They were definitely gay in the books, I just overlooked it.

Spoiler:
    As for Arya being called boy, the people that read the books know what happens later and on TV writers feel they need to establish a precedence so that when she passes as a boy later, it's not such a stretch in the mind of the viewer.

Thanks for the spoiler lesson!
    Last edited by Grendel; May 19th, 2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Put the spoiler tag

You put the word SPOILER in all caps between two square brackets [ ] at the start of the text you want to hide. And then you put /SPOILER -- backslash plus all caps for the word -- between two square brackets [ ] at the end of the text you want to hide. The black box should appear.

Quote Originally Posted by kged View Post
    It occurred to me on the way home tonight that if I hadn't read the books, I'd have no idea why Tyrion is called "The Imp". Dinklage's performance is superb - but I'm feeling more and more like he isn't performing the Tyrion we know from the page. He's got all the smart, and the witty, and the dreadnought-sized confidence, but where is the trickiness? That may be impending, given that we are now at The Eyrie and his silver tongue is going to be sorely needed soon, but he is definitely "nicer" than in the books. At least up to now.
    Witness Tyrion's goading of Theon in Ep4 about his "wardship" to the Starks. Ros gives it to him too in Ep5; maybe under Tyrion's influence? Breeding discontent perhaps?

Just might have implications later on.
    Last edited by newfiesailor; May 21st, 2011 at 03:18 AM.