Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Reek rhymes with geek
    Finished KoT last week.

I thought it was very good, with an interesting device (plot and physical) to help bridge 2 different timelines. Jorg is less odious than from my perception of PoT, but still cagey and brutal when needed.

Neither of the next 2 books in my to-read list have no chance of grabbing my attention as much. Well done Mark.

Reek rhymes with geek
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneBurner View Post
    Spoiler:
    Lawrence pulls off the whole "future as the fantasy world's past" routine
    I agree it works well, and it's distant enough that you can forget at times, until some book or artefact reminds you.

It's like a more serious version of Thundarr the Barbarian.

I picked up PoT in a second-hand shop a couple of weeks ago and killed it in two days flat, I thought it was brilliant! I'm deliberately not reading this thread for fear of spoilers but can I take it that the second one has come out now?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    I picked up PoT in a second-hand shop a couple of weeks ago and killed it in two days flat, I thought it was brilliant! I'm deliberately not reading this thread for fear of spoilers but can I take it that the second one has come out now?
    Yup. I saw in in Smiths and it's roughly twice as thick as the first, too.

Nice one, thanks

The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Whilst I would have liked my 8% of the sale price I can't tell you how pleased this little story made me! I spent chunks my early teens raiding endless 2nd hand bookshops, hunting down Michael Moorcock's work in the main & loving it. And eventually I bought his hardcover new releases as they came out

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    Whilst I would have liked my 8% of the sale price I can't tell you how pleased this little story made me! I spent chunks my early teens raiding endless 2nd hand bookshops, hunting down Michael Moorcock's work in the main & loving it. And eventually I bought his hardcover new releases as they came out
    I see what you did there

I'm in my 40s btw, I just still like second hand bookshops...

Seriously mate, excellent job.

Blog Entries
    I see what you did there

I'm in my 40s btw, I just still like second hand bookshops...
    I'm also in my 40s and also still a fan of 2nd hand bookshops. I bought most of the Dark Tower series that way, then got the last 2 new, and several of the graphic novels new at vast expense - so I did all right by Mr King in the end

Very glad you liked it!

My copy of King of Thorns arrived today. Not sure when I'll get to it, but I really like the cover. Too many books coming out right now that I want to read, on top of my already existing to read pile.

I really liked Prince of thorns and King of thorns was just as good. Best books I've read recently. The only problem is having to wait a whole year for the last book.

Does anybody know similar books with the same kind of ruthless main character to keep me waiting?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo2345 View Post
    I really liked Prince of thorns and King of thorns was just as good. Best books I've read recently. The only problem is having to wait a whole year for the last book.

Does anybody know similar books with the same kind of ruthless main character to keep me waiting?
    Great to hear the books were a hit with you.

I've never read him but I hear (a lot) that Joe Abercrombie's work has some similarities, particularly in having protagonists who might feature as villains in other books.

Faux friendly misanthrope Szron666's Avatar
    I only recently discovered this series and have been utterly blown away by both Prince and King of Thorns. Both books are amazingly well written and engrossing. They just keep you captivated from start to finish with relentless brutality and well fleshed out characters. I flew through both of them in no time at all so thank you Mr. Lawrence for writing such great books. Well done indeed Has there been any official release date given for the third book? Also, has the name of it been divulged? Information seems quite scarce, although I can hardly say I put an exhausting amount of effort into searching for it.
    Last edited by Szron666; September 3rd, 2012 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Szron666 View Post
    Also, has the name of it been divulged?
    It's gotta be Emperor of Thorns, doesn't it?

Faux friendly misanthrope Szron666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    It's gotta be Emperor of Thorns, doesn't it?
    That would make sense haha. Anyway, thanks for helping with that one single part of my post

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Szron666 View Post
    That would make sense haha. Anyway, thanks for helping with that one single part of my post
    Contrarius clearly has good sources!

Actually I was thinking of Empire of Thorns but the publisher told me Emperor had worked its way into the system too deep to be uprooted. So yes, Emperor of Thorns. Last one!

Book due August 2013. Very glad you enjoyed the first two. If you tell a friend/write a review/get a facial tattoo of the cover/carve it into a large cornfield etc then I'll stand further in your debt