Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any good indie reads?

Are there any memorable stand-alone indie books anyone would recommend. I've read lots of the big authors, but haven't spent too much time with newer authors, or ones that aren't mainstream. Really I'm just looking for something different at this point (I need a break from the medieval epic fantasy of George R.R. Martin).

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaigon View Post
    Are there any memorable stand-alone indie books anyone would recommend. I've read lots of the big authors, but haven't spent too much time with newer authors, or ones that aren't mainstream. Really I'm just looking for something different at this point (I need a break from the medieval epic fantasy of George R.R. Martin).
    I've haven't read any indie books that weren't part of a series. The best I can remember other than Blood Song by Anthony Ryan (who EVERYONE has heard of by this point), would be The Wretched of Muirwood. It's YA and easy to read, and I really enjoyed the characters. Well, other than the male lead (whose name I forgot because he was so forgettable). It's a short book and followed by two more in the trilogy. Also, while the world-building is relatively simply, nevertheless, the story itself is good and Mr. Wheeler has a deft touch when it comes to descriptive prose.

I would also include The Traveler's Gate trilogy by Will Wight. While it's a trilogy, I would say it really reads more like a long book. And the book is fun, fast, and hard-flowing with non-stop action. The criticisms I would have for the book would be a deficit of world-building (beyond the worlds of the Gates, which were truly neat) as well as a distinct lack of character development since the focus was so much on the action. Nevertheless, I had a great deal of fun reading it.

Cthulhu's Red Bucket Lucas Thorn's Avatar
    i'll second will wight's series. i really liked that.

also, the last few good ones i read (which are mostly heroic fantasy) were:
    - m.r. mathias' legend of vanx malic
    - m.r. mathias' wardstone trilogy
    either of those was great.

- craig halloran's darkslayer series
    conan on crack.

- edward m knight's the ashes saga
    especially if you enjoyed playing the dark brotherhood in skyrim. guilty as charged.

- daniel arenson's the moth saga
    just started this. i'm only a couple of chapters in but so far so nice.

"Lots" doesn't preclude there being major authors that are a little different that you've missed. For example, people on this forum go nuts for Abercrombie. The First Law series is definitely very different from Game of Thrones style medieval epic fantasy.

So would be better to give more info on stuff you've read and liked.

Cthulhu's Red Bucket Lucas Thorn's Avatar
    i forgot to add t.o. munro's bloodline trilogy.
    it's got a medusa in it. well worth your stones.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
    "Lots" doesn't preclude there being major authors that are a little different that you've missed. For example, people on this forum go nuts for Abercrombie. The First Law series is definitely very different from Game of Thrones style medieval epic fantasy.

So would be better to give more info on stuff you've read and liked.
    Major books I've read so far:
    - Dragon Lance Chronicles, and countless other dragonlance books
    - R.A Salvatore (almost all of his Dark Elf books)
    -Lord of the Rings
    - Game of Thrones
    - Robin Hobbs (Farseer Trilogy, Tawny man Trilogy, Rainwild Chronicles)
    - Sanderson (Mistborn Trilogy)
    - Dark Tower Saga
    - Piers Anthony (I forget the specific titles, but I've read many)
    - Gotrek and Felix omnibus (I forget the author, but it's in the Warhammer world).

I've also read some other books, a few sci-fi, steam-punk and fantasy. When I was younger I used to really be into the hack & slash D&D style books, but lately I've grown tired of books containing endless action. Robin Hobbs has really resonated with me, and I would like to read other books of similar style. The Mistborn Trilogy was neat, not quite as good as Robin Hobb's books, but still really good.

I've never read anything by Ambercrombie, maybe he should check out the First Law. I was thinking indie books because I would like to see what kind of books the new, independant authors produce.

Major books I've read so far:
    - Dragon Lance Chronicles, and countless other dragonlance books
    - R.A Salvatore (almost all of his Dark Elf books)
    -Lord of the Rings
    - Game of Thrones
    - Robin Hobbs (Farseer Trilogy, Tawny man Trilogy, Rainwild Chronicles)
    - Sanderson (Mistborn Trilogy)
    - Dark Tower Saga
    - Piers Anthony (I forget the specific titles, but I've read many)
    - Gotrek and Felix omnibus (I forget the author, but it's in the Warhammer world).

I've also read some other books, a few sci-fi, steam-punk and fantasy. When I was younger I used to really be into the hack & slash D&D style books, but lately I've grown tired of books containing endless action. Robin Hobbs has really resonated with me, and I would like to read other books of similar style. The Mistborn Trilogy was neat, not quite as good as Robin Hobb's books, but still really good.

I've never read anything by Ambercrombie, maybe he should check out the First Law. I was thinking indie books because I would like to see what kind of books the new, independant authors produce.
    Oh my...

If you've moved into Robin Hobb territory, I would recommend giving Guy Gavriel Kay a try, especially Tigana, The Fionovar Tapestry and so many others, such as The Lions of Al-Rassan. I would also give Patricia McKillip's The Riddlemaster of Hed a try. That book (Riddlemaster) has one of the finest last sentences, maybe the finest, of any book I've ever read. There's still a ton of books you haven't touched on that are out there. Granted, many of the novels I'm suggesting are old, but good Lord, they're amazing.

I envy you having so much wonderful old books you get to read for the first time. Maybe they're written for a different time with different (slower at times) pacing, but they're so lush and delicious.

The First Law series is definitely very different from your list, its dark fantasy. People here love it, so you could check that out. Last time there was a top fantasy series poll, it was voted the top. That was a while ago...not sure we did that poll last year, might have been in 2012.

There are a ton of popular epic fantasies that will feel different from GoT, just like Mistborn is very different. So it really depends what you want.

Based on your list, you might try Night Angel by Brent Weeks. His second series, Lightbringer, is even better IMHO but not done.

Oh how could I forget... I've also read some of Guy (I loved Tigana, Under Heaven and River of Stars were good too, read 2 that were about mosaics in the roman era), Raymond E Fiest (Magician and some others), Harry Potter, and tried Glen Cook but couldn't get into it.

I recommend emperor's edge by Lindsay Buroker.

Circle of Reign and A Warrior's Path

I highly recommend both of these books. Circle of Reign is by Jacob Cooper. There is a SFFWORLD.COM interview with him here...

http://www.sffworld.com/2014/09/jacob-cooper-interview

A Warriors Path is by Davis Ashura. It is also excellent.

Both books have a tone of action in them and were very fun to read.

A Mirror For Princes - Tom De Haan.... not much magic really... more of a precursor to Martin.... it's out of print so you'll have to go to Amazon.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke --- more historical fiction/fantasy blend

Quote Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
    A Mirror For Princes - Tom De Haan.... not much magic really... more of a precursor to Martin.... it's out of print so you'll have to go to Amazon.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke --- more historical fiction/fantasy blend
    The mirror of princes sounds intrigueing. I read a synopsis on GoodReads and definitely is down my alley.

I'll also check out Davis Ashura.

The mirror of princes sounds intrigueing. I read a synopsis on GoodReads and definitely is down my alley.

I'll also check out Davis Ashura.
    Thanks, Jaigon. I hope you like it! So far, between Amazon and Goodreads, A Warrior's Path has received over over 140 reviews. Even better, the majority of them are not from my family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Davis Ashura View Post
    Thanks, Jaigon. I hope you like it! So far, between Amazon and Goodreads, A Warrior's Path has received over over 140 reviews. Even better, the majority of them are not from my family and friends.
    The idea sounds interesting... Many fantasy books out their are steeped in European medieval lore. Castes and such bring a more eastern feel (from what I got out of the reviews). I have a few books on the go now, but I might give it a read later on (recently bought Bone Clocks by David Mitchell and The Dispossessed by Le Guin at a discount store... both of which are a bit outside what I normally read).