Read Vampire novels by Amelia Altwater!

this author is very young but she is amazing. she writes novels about vampires and vampire hunters.
    i would suggest reading Shattered Mirror and Midnight Predator.
    she alo has others. they are very well written novels. short but totally sweet. sweet as honey. lol.

peace.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the recommendation, my dear. Sounds intriguing.

I'm a little curious.

I've picked up on my horror reading rather considerably as of late. The last two vampire-ish novels that I've read, I couldn't finish. They were that bad. Those were "Succubus Dreams" by Laura Hamiliton (part of the Anita Blake series) and "Blood Canticle" by Ann Rice.

I've heard a lot of people argue that there's no more room for vampire fiction - everyone's doing vampires these days and it's getting old. Personally I think there's a lot of room in the sub-genre, simply because I haven't found anything that I really like - even though I know that the sub-genre has a huge potential. I don't mean to offend anyone that's a fan of the above authors - I know they have pretty dedicated fan bases. Their stuff just wasn't the kind of thing I enjoy in fiction.

So what's unique about the work of this author?

response

ello,
    yes i agree many authors are getting into the vampire thing. it is an amazing topic.

check out Amelia and also check out Anna Curtis Klause. they are yes i know i know, "young adult" writers but they are amazing.

they are considerably short novels when comparing Anne Rice's novels. but they are just as beautiful and maybe also less complex. easier to understand. give them a try and let me know how you like them.

by the way Anna writes not only vampire novels but werewolves and aliens. not so much for aliens but werewolves i'm there! lol.
    peace.

I tried to read one or two books by Laura Hamilton,partly for background information for a Vampire R/P and just plain curious of all the hipe round these books.
    Now don't take me wrong I enjoy a healthy doses of adult suggestive material in the books I read,yet I think there should be a balance.
    I had however the feeling that I was reading a sex movie with actors playing vampire related characters.

I'm definately not against "young writers." On the contrary I'm more than willing to give new talent a chance.

I was just asking what is unique about these authors? Am I going to pick up the same old "lust for blood/sex" storyline about how difficult it is to be immortal? Or am I going to read chaper after chapter about hanging out in "goth" bars? If so, I'll probably pass. But if there's something unique that I can idenify with, and the writing looks okay, I'll give them a chance.

response 2

ello, again

nope these books i have suggested have no, none, nodda, zelch, any blood/goth bars, nor sex/lust/blood.

yes there is some hardships dealing w/ being immortal but not to the point where it covers the whole novel. the vampire novel by Anna Curtis Klause tells a story about a teenage girl whos mother is very sick and her father is very depressed because of this. this girl is also sort of depressed, confused and lonely, until she meets Ian, a vampire who is good/bad. Ian is also dealing w/ difficult things. his problems have more adventure and past refrences linked to them. since both Ian and the girl are feeling about the same they immediatly click and fall in love. theres more to it than that but it was a beautiful book.

as for Amelia's books there is no blood bars or lust niether. one of her books was souly written about a witch who's family cult hunts vampires and protects humans. the only prob is she begins a friendship w/ two vampires that do not feed on human blood unless it is willing offered by voluntary mortal. that book was titled Shattered Mirror. it was purely excellant.

so no don't expect an Anne Rice thing goin on when u read these short novels. although i frankley enjoy some of her novels, not all though, like u said there has to be some unique atmosphere to it.

also if u want, under the stories/poems section on this site i have one story and one poem. they are about vampires also. on that section i go by Morgan Le Fay.
    the story is titled, In the Patches of Gray
    and the poem is titled, Stolen Humanity.
    check them out if u like.

peace.

For YA Vampires there is also a series called Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan. The conceit is that Darren Shan is also the main character and the books are his story of what happens to a regular boy (12-13 ?), who gets mixed up with the Cirque Du Freak and the vampires in it when it comes to his town. The book is up to about 9 books now.

yes the Criu de Freak, or howeva dats spelled. my younger brother read them. he got obsessed. lol. i haven't read them yet. i've been meaning to check them out but at the moment i'm reading a book called Kushiel's Choosen by Jacqueline Carey.

but i'll be sure to check that series out. thank u.
    peace.

CAUSE I FOUND ALL THAT SHIMMERS IN THIS WORLD IS SURE TO FADE. AWAY. AGAIN.

Have been reading Amelia Atwater-Rhodes and I just love her work! Started with In The Forests of the Night, Demon In My View,Shattered Mirror and Midnight Predator. Now on Hawksong.
    One nice thing is that she doesnt feel the need to make each book in series longer than the previous one, like say Christopher Paolini. Or for that matter, the Harry Potter books,but they are such classics I can overlook the lengths.
    One thing I'd like to say to older readers here. Don't overlook something because it has YA on the spine if you are in a public library. For some reasons, librarians tend to put so much fantasy/supernatural literature in that category. And even more bizarre,IMHO, in my local library the Harry Potter books are in the childrens room classified as juvenile although they much more suited for older children and teens!
    Ms Atwater-Rhodes had her first book published when she was fifteen. Might like to note that the great Robert E. Howard also had his first publication when he was still in his teens, in Weird Tales. In fact, all his work is " Young Adult" in a sense, as he tragically ended his own life when he was 30.

The best vampire series that I've ever read is Bound By Blood by Shane O'neill. Be warned, it is gruesome. I'm taling about pregnant women being attacked and Vamps eating babies. It is gruesome but really good.

I've tried vampire novels but they always seem to be a different type of novel (high school story, romance novel, swish executive novel, sexy young things and fashion novel) onto which vampires have been added. Maybe I've made unlucky choices but I'd like to read one where vampirism is the core rather than 'also, they're vampires!'

Quote Originally Posted by John_PQ View Post
    I've tried vampire novels but they always seem to be a different type of novel (high school story, romance novel, swish executive novel, sexy young things and fashion novel) onto which vampires have been added. Maybe I've made unlucky choices but I'd like to read one where vampirism is the core rather than 'also, they're vampires!'
    Just to note, most novels are more than one thing. Monsters have often been used metaphorically to stand in for something else -- there's a strain of thought that much early vampire fiction uses the vampire as a symbol for tuberculosis and other wasting diseases.

"Carmilla" by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu: novella, beautifully written; can be found in The Vampire Archives ed. Otto Penzler among other anthologies, and has sometimes been published as a book
    Dracula by Bram Stoker: sometimes I find I need to state the obvious just so I can move on.
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson: in one sense a post-apocalyse novel, but also an attempt to rationalize vampirism scientifically
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King: Nosferatu visits and takes up residence in a small community
    Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice: I found it a bit slow going, but as I recall it Rice nicely imagined the price of immortality
    13 Bullets by David Wellington: action/adventure vampire hunting, gritty enough to use as a sanding block

Just a few possibilities. There are others I plan on getting to but haven't, these might also fill the request: The Golden by Lucius Shepard; Fledgling by Octavia Butler; Carrion Comfort (among others) by Dan Simmons.

Randy M.
    Last edited by Randy M.; August 12th, 2013 at 01:11 PM.

Nice suggestion. I like Vamps by Nancy Collins the best so far. But I've read Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead, and it's not bad. At least they were able to make a movie out of it.

I'm ready for the next monster trend to be honest. I'm ready for the metrosexual chimera series that takes off