Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone read...: (looking for advice)

I was recommended by a friend to read the following books because I am looking for new reading material and have no idea where to start first. Has anyone read these?

Warbreaker
    Dresden Files
    Gentleman Bastards
    Riftwar Saga
    Demon Cycle

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also other suggestions are of course welcome.

Books I have thoroughly enjoyed:
    LOTR
    Earthsea
    ASOFI
    Dark elf series Drizzt - RA Salvatore
    Broken Empire
    Night Angel Trilogy
    Bloodsong
    David Gemmell's books (waylander & druss)
    KingKiller Chronicles
    And of course my favorite by a longshot Stormlight Archives (kaladin is too awesome)

Thank you for all your help ladies and gentleman

Ok, you've given us a lot to work with in terms of what you like, so I think we can help.

The books on your list are mostly action + fun reads, some not written all that well, and in general not great comps with the modern epic fantasies on your list. If you want comps for the modern epics you have read (ASOFAI, King Killer, Blood Song) you'll have to ask separately. If you want comps to Night Angel, your list works better for that.

1. Warbreaker: All of Sanderson's novels are very good imho. You'll probably like this one, I did, but it has a good bit little less action than, say, Night Angel, and probably also less action than the Stormlight Archives (which I loved too). Have you read one of Sanderson's other series, Mistborn? Since you liked Night Angel (as well as Sanderson's Stormlight Archives) I would steer you to Mistborn as your second Sanderson -- in my mind there are good reason to think that people that like Night Angel will like Mistborn. If you already read and liked Mistborn, then consider Warbreaker. If you didn't like Mistborn for some reason, not clear to me Warbreaker will work. I bet you would also like Steelheart, another Sanderson.

2. Dresden Files: I only read the first one and wasn't overwhelmed, so I'll leave it to others to comment. In general I'm told that the series takes a little while to get momentum, and stopping after the first as I did isn't the right call. Either commit to more than one or don't start. I found Monster Hunters International by Larry Correa, and Correa's Grimnoir series both about 10x more fun than volume one of the Dresden Files. (Mentioning them because they have a somewhat similar genre and feel to Dresden Files and I bet you would like them.)

3. Gentleman Bastards: This series is fun. They are thieves, and they pull clever stunts. Whether it has enough action to be one of your all time favorites I don't know, it certainly does not have nearly as much action as something like Night Angel, but it does have action, and I bet you would like it.

4. Riftwar Saga: Old series. Its very well regarded, a classic really, but the issue is whether your friend is recommending it based on his old memory of the series from a read 20 years ago, or a more recent read. I personally wouldn't recommend it based on my old memories, since my old memories are, well, old. Sometimes these "classics" don't hold up for me on re-read. Perhaps someone on here has re-read it more recently.

5. Demon Cycle: This has a very mixed rep. Like Night Angel, it has a lot of action, but the writing isn't regarded as that great. You did like Night Angel, and I do think that is a generally good predictor for the Demon Cycle, but the action in the Demon Cycle (or at least in the first volume which is all I've read) is less compelling imho. I did like the first volume of the Demon Cycle somewhat, but the reviews of volumes two and three are *very* mixed, and I just never felt compelled to go on.

Actually, what I said about your list not including epic fantasies like those you've read? Thats true, but Weeks -- who wrote Night Angel -- has an ongoing series that feels more like a modern epic fantasy. Most consider it to be written much better than Night Angel, but it still has tons of action and is tons of fun. That is the Lightbringer series. In terms of stuff that isn't on your list, that is a good one for you to check out.
    Last edited by ArtNJ; June 12th, 2014 at 03:02 PM.

thanks for your help yeah I guess I did not specify what I am looking for but definitely epic fantasy with strong protagonists and awesome writing. I have read the Mistborn series and I enjoyed it a lot just forgot to put it down. I will definitely be reading Warbreaker and Steelheart. Sanderson writes very well so I think both will definitely be worth it.

(Monster Hunters International by Larry Correa, and Correa's Grimnoir series )
    Haven't heard of these two but I will definitely take your advice and check them out. Will hold off on Dresden files.

Gentleman Bastards and Lightbringer series will be on my list as well.

I love strong protagonists who are flawed and have to go through various ordeals to become the heroes of their novel.
    Stormlight Archives which I finished recently was just utterly amazing.

I also love an author who can weave an amazing story through excellent writing, awesome characters & world building, and an interesting magic system.

I like excessively powerful or highly intelligent characters who people can drop their jaw at when they witness his or her power/intelligence but at the same time are not invincible (aka kalidan, drizzt, ged, Aragorn, Gandalf, ender in ender's game)

I did not so much like the many points of view in ASOFI I like the series to focus on few characters maximum being the amount of characters in LOTR. I like the good vs evil plots not so much the whose side should I be on plots

I have also heard of Malazan as the most epic series of all time but I might be misinformed. I read a couple chapters in Gardens of the Moon and knew it would be a series that I would actually have to spend a great deal of time on when I get the opportunity so I am holding off on it.

Love plot twists for sure.

Also heard of dragonlance, eric bakker's prince of nothing, black company, first law?

Nothing else off the top of my head but I definitely thank you for your advice and what I listed above seems like a pretty good reading list to begin with.

List:
    warbreaker
    Monster Hunters International
    correa's grimnoir
    gentleman bastards
    lightbringer series
    steelheart
    Last edited by whelweh89; June 12th, 2014 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whelweh89 View Post

I have also heard of Malazan as the most epic series of all time but I might be misinformed. I read a couple chapters in Gardens of the Moon and knew it would be a series that I would actually have to spend a great deal of time on when I get the opportunity so I am holding off on it.

Also heard of dragonlance, eric bakker's prince of nothing, black company, first law?
    Ok, so here is the deal with Malazan. Many on here do love, love it. HOWEVER, they usually admit its very complicated, the author wants you to figure stuff out on your own, kind of the direct opposite of Sanderson who never leaves you very confused for long. I only read the first volume of Malazan and didn't like it much. Stopping after the first is considered a big no no, since the first volume is supposed to be much weaker than the others, but its long, and the deliberate confusion bothered me. Here is what I always say about it: its like waking up and finding yourself in an igloo, naked, covered in peanut butter, being licked by baby polar bears, while evil looking clowns clap and chant. MAYBE it all makes sense, maybe its just a bad acid trip. So anyway, yeah, I'm not one of the fans

I haven't read Prince of Nothing. Its on my list.

Drangonlance is fun, you might like it, but its not something highly regarded here per se.

First Law won a poll for best fantasy series ever on this website. Its Dark Fantasy though, and really different from anything else on your list. If you want safe for you, its probably not *entirely* safe, but if you were to pick one series to branch out, there is obviously a reason it won that poll. Its really, really well written. No happy ever after, no heroes you can route for, just deeply flawed characters doing the best they can.

Black Company you would probably like. Its well regarded around here, for what it is. No one thinks its the best written series in the world, but its kind of fun, kind of iconic, larger than life, whatever. I sure wouldn't read it before some of the other stuff on your list, but you wouldn't go wrong with it imho.

Here is what I always say about it: its like waking up and finding yourself in an igloo, naked, covered in peanut butter, being licked by baby polar bears, while evil looking clowns clap and chant. MAYBE it all makes sense, maybe its just a bad acid trip. The LOLZZ. Will hold off on Malazan after I finish this list maybe.

And im adding Black Company and First Law to the list
    I guess since I enjoyed the Broken Empire I am kind of into dark fantasy? Don't know if you can get darker than Mark Lawrence though, Jorg is death reincarnate.

Prince of Nothing will be held off with Malazan as well as WoT because I can't just not read WoT.
    Last edited by whelweh89; June 12th, 2014 at 03:58 PM.

Here is what I always say about it: its like waking up and finding yourself in an igloo, naked, covered in peanut butter, being licked by baby polar bears, while evil looking clowns clap and chant. MAYBE it all makes sense, maybe its just a bad acid trip. The LOLZZ. Will hold off on Malazan after I finish this list maybe.

And im adding Black Company and First Law to the list
    I guess since I enjoyed the Broken Empire I am kind of into dark fantasy? Don't know if you can get darker than Mark Lawrence though, Jorg is death reincarnate.

Prince of Nothing will be held off with Malazan as well as WoT because I can't just not read WoT.
    Oh, yeah, I missed that you read that, if you mentioned it. So definitely add First Law.

I'm sure others will chime in soon, defending Malazan among other things

Okay yes I definitely want to expand this list. It is summer and I have an unbelievable amount of free time this year. I finished Stormlight Archives under a week so by all means the more the merrier. I don't know if any novel or series will live up to it though. I read Raven's Shadow Bloodsong & the Night Angel trilogy the following couple weeks and as much as I liked them, Vaelin & Kylar/Azoth just couldn't match the awesomeness of Kalidan and co. Don't tell Durzo Blint I said that though. The way Sanderson writes, it feels like the first time I read LOTR, Harry Potter, or Ender's game. Giving me the wow factor that few books evoke.
    Last edited by whelweh89; June 12th, 2014 at 04:15 PM.

It seems you have a decent grasp as to what's out there. So just mostly you should just read what you are excited to read next. Don't let us push you around...but since you asked. =)

Some of the ones you mentioned:

Warbreaker and Dresden
    I have not read. I don't think either are going to be that amazing, but probably readable.

Riftwar Saga - Raymond E Feist
    Very good, one of the first books I read though. I loved it. But, like Art said, I don't know if it would hold up on a re-read. If you are going to read it, read it now. Before you have read all these others book. I might put DragonLance in this category. Maybe even lower quality.

Gentlement Bastards - Scott Lynch
    Plan to read. I think it's going to be really good. I am holding off because i don't want to start reading until it's complete.

Demon Cycle - Peter V Brett
    I read this. Did not like it much. Wouldn't recommend.

First Law - Joe Abercrombie.
    My favorite of all time. Read it asap. =)

Black Company - Glen Cook
    Great book. Recommend.

Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson
    I think you have read enough to enjoy this. Yes, it is confusing. But that is NOT a bad thing. Do you like ANIME or maybe Superhero stuff? This has the baddest of the bad tough guys you will find. It's great. Genius level scope.

Prince of Nothing - R Scott Bakker
    Another great book. Recommend. I'm not sure if you meant you are holding off on this. I wouldn't. It's not confusing like Malazan. It's philosophical and deep like Malazan. It's also very dark...and you said you liked that.

Wheel of Time - BS and RJ
    Not sure if you meant you are or are not reading this. It's a long series, but worth reading. A classic that DOES hold up to time IMO. It's one of my faves.

King Killer Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss
    Didn't notice you didn't include this one. One of the best new books written. Not finished yet, but a MUST read.

Some you didn't mention:

Acts of Caine - Mathew Stover
    First book in this series was my favorite book I've ever read. Rest are pretty good, and defeinitely worth reading.

Riyria Revelations - Michael J Sullivan
    If you liked Mark Lawrence and Mistborn/Night Angel type stories. Try this one. It's a fun read and has a good plot/twisty ending.

Dark Tower - Stephen King
    Most of my standard recommendation list are already here, so I'm stretching a bit more. But this is a very good read, and worth trying.

This is my Top 10 that I've read atm(in order):
    First Law Trilogy Joe Abercrombie
    Wheel of Time Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson
    Song of Ice and Fire George RR Martin
    Rift War Saga Raymond E Feist
    Malazan Book of the Fallen Steven Erikson
    King Killer Chronicles Patrick Rothfuss
    Prince of Nothing R. Scott Bakker
    Acts of Caine Mathew Stover
    Chronicles of the Black Company Glen Cook
    Mistborn Brandon Sanderson
    Last edited by chris777; June 12th, 2014 at 04:42 PM.

Okay yes I definitely want to expand this list. It is summer and I have an unbelievable amount of free time this year. I finished Stormlight Archives under a week so by all means the more the merrier. I don't know if any novel or series will live up to it though. I read Raven's Shadow Bloodsong & the Night Angel trilogy the following couple weeks and as much as I liked them, Vaelin & Kylar/Azoth just couldn't match the awesomeness of Kalidan and co. Don't tell Durzo Blint I said that though. The way Sanderson writes, it feels like the first time I read LOTR, Harry Potter, or Ender's game. Giving me the wow factor that few books evoke.
    First of all, Stormlight Archive is a 10 book series. So I assume you just meant Way of Kings. =) I'm not sure I would pin my hopes of meeting your expections of best series ever on Night Angel or similar stories. They are fun fast reads. But they aren't as well written as some others. First Law, ASOIAF, Malazan & King Killer are ones that might come close imho.
    Last edited by chris777; June 12th, 2014 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    First of all, Stormlight Archive is a 10 book series. So I assume you just meant Way of Kings. =) I'm not sure I would pin my hopes of meeting your expections of best series ever on Night Angel or similar stories. They are fun fast reads. But they aren't as well written as some others. First Law, ASOIAF, Malazan & King Killer might come close imo. =)
    Well book 2 is out Words of Radiance and I actually enjoyed it more than Way of Kings. I have a feeling this will become the most epic awesome fantasy series of all time.

Yeah night angel trilogy was a super fast read. I enjoy the easy reads once in awhile in between reading more complex material.

I am going to add Prince of Nothing and Malazan to my list I think I will definitely enjoy them.
    I've heard Malazan as being the best fantasy series out. I just have to get into it, saving it for a special time.

I think I am just going to not read riftwar and dragonlance maybe one day when I feel like reading classical fantasy. They are probably amazing stories nonetheless, I just prefer to read newer material.

I am going to also add Riyria Revelations and Acts of Caine to the list. I actually read the Dark Tower series and enjoyed it if I recall correctly (long time ago)

If anyone has sci-fi books for recommendations like Ender's Game or the Tripod series, I would be open to those as well.

Summer Reading List:
    warbreaker
    correa's grimnoir
    gentleman bastards
    lightbringer series
    steelheart
    black company
    first law
    prince of nothing
    acts of caine
    riyria revelations
    malazan

nice this list is looking damn good hadn't realized I was missing out on so much and not even sure if I could finish all these in a summer lol.
    Last edited by whelweh89; June 12th, 2014 at 05:03 PM.

Summer Reading List:
    warbreaker
    correa's grimnoir
    gentleman bastards
    lightbringer series
    steelheart
    black company
    first law
    prince of nothing
    acts of caine
    riyria revelations
    malazan
    I did the same with Malazan. Waiting until a moment where I felt ready and excited to start. And I couldn't stop after that. I read all 14 books, with only one break in between(Abercrombie's Heroes came out). I devoured them.

I consider you lucky. To be reading Acts of Caine, Prince of Nothing, Malazan, First Law all in front of you to read for the first time. If I could erase those books in my mind and re-read.

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    I did the same with Malazan. Waiting until a moment where I felt ready and excited to start. And I couldn't stop after that. I read all 14 books, with only one break in between(Abercrombie's Heroes came out). I devoured them.

I consider you lucky. To be reading Acts of Caine, Prince of Nothing, Malazan, First Law all in front of you to read for the first time. If I could erase those books in my mind and re-read.

Haha I definitely won't take it for granted then. I decided to start reading Riyria Relevations and I am going to follow with Acts of Caine, looks like an extremely interesting plot (Running Man/Hunger Games -ish except very dark I'm assuming)? I like
    Last edited by whelweh89; June 13th, 2014 at 04:20 AM.

Haha I definitely won't take it for granted then. I decided to start reading Riyria Relevations and I am going to follow with Acts of Caine, looks like an extremely interesting plot (Running Man/Hunger Games -ish except very dark I'm assuming)? I like
    First book of Acts of Caine is awesome, pretty sure you'll love it, most do. Second book is garbage imho. A lot of people don't like the second book much, and even people that do like it admit its stylistically totally different from book 1. Its more a second adventure in the same world than a necessary sequel, so you don't need to read them all. Chris feels differently, as do a significant set of folks -- there is a split. But given how many great books are on your list, I sure as hell wouldn't plan on reading the whole series at this point. Just add the first book for now.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
    First book of Acts of Caine is awesome, pretty sure you'll love it, most do. Second book is garbage imho. A lot of people don't like the second book much, and even people that do like it admit its stylistically totally different from book 1. Its more a second adventure in the same world than a necessary sequel, so you don't need to read them all. Chris feels differently, as do a significant set of folks -- there is a split. But given how many great books are on your list, I sure as hell wouldn't plan on reading the whole series at this point. Just add the first book for now.
    Yeah I went ahead an ordered just Book 1 of acts of caine as well as:
    monster hunters international
    warbreaker
    riftwar saga 1-4
    belgariad vol. 1-3
    entire riyria chronicles
    lies of locke lamora
    dragonlance chronicles trilogy

turns out I already had first law trilogy at home hiding so im probably going to read those while I wait for my books.

I chose to get riftwar, belgariad, and dragonlance because I feel like id really enjoy them and I want to get the farm/orphan boy saving the world genre or the classical good vs evil plot out of my system before I dive into erikson, bakker, etc.

riyria and locke lamora I don't think they will disappoint me either. should be a fun ride.

and warbreaker well sanderson. enough said.
    Last edited by whelweh89; June 13th, 2014 at 07:18 AM.

I chose to get riftwar, belgariad, and dragonlance because I feel like id really enjoy them and I want to get the farm/orphan boy saving the world genre or the classical good vs evil plot out of my system before I dive into erikson, bakker, etc.
    This is very good. I did the same unknowingly with Riftwar. And I wish I would have done so with Drizzt and Dragonlance. And several others.

I'm not saying you should read these, but here are a few classics that people love...but IMO they don't hold up to re-reads lately. They may only be good if you haven't dipped into all the new stuff. So if you find you really like Riftwar, Dragonlance, and Belgariad...try these possibly.

The Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe
    The Dying Earth Trilogy - Jack Vance
    Earth Sea Trilogy - Ursula K LeGuin
    The Legend of Drizzt - R. A. Salvatore

Oh and to respond about Acts of Caine. Yes there are 4 books in that series and they are so totally different from each other. Not that the plot or characters change, it's always the same. Just the style. (Correct me if I'm mis-remembering) Book 1 is like action, gritty, fun. Book2 is more narrowing in plot, introspective, philosophical. Book 3 I don't quite recall. I think it was more dark and depressing. Book 4 is just WEIRD. Confusing. Philosophical yes, but more mind bending quantum time flux..stuff. I liked them all!

Some people actually like the latter books better. But a majority agree that book1 is amazing, with heavy debate about how good the rest are.
    Last edited by chris777; June 13th, 2014 at 09:09 AM.