Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Books you read over and over again

Hi, Well I've read Lord of the Rings for the 18th time, since i was a kid, recently and I can safely say that for me, it never gets old. I absolutely love it and sometimes (not all the time) precede it with the Hobbit. I've read The Kingkiller Chronicles 3 times and have just started reading Malazan again and many others. The point is I really like re-reading my favourite books, i dont think theres a book I've really liked that I haven't read at least twice. Anyone else have their faves that they re-read over and over, or do you just read once and never again?

Having a weak memory, I can re-read most of the stuff I really enjoyed -- maybe not stuff that is twist based, but most other books. But I need to wait a number of years and couldn't do exactly what you enjoy doing. Also, some of the oldest stuff no longer works for me at all do to my changing tastes.

Recently, I've re-read ASOFAI, and the first book (name is eluding me) of Sanderson's 10 volume series when the second volume finally came out.

I've read The Circus of Dr. Lao by Charles Finney at least 5 times, Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes at least 6 times and Jonathan Carroll's The Land of Laughs three times. Recently reread The Face in the Frost by John Bellairs, and I expect I'll read it again in the not distant future.

It's getting close to time to reread The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. If I do, it will be at least the fifth time I've read it.

I often reread short stories.

Randy M.

LoTR
    Harry Dresden series
    Miles Vorkosigan series
    Earthsea trilogy
    Martian Chronicles

and a coupla non-sff series.

And I wouldn't mind reading Harry Potter again -- maybe one of these days. And the Riyria books could easily go on the reread list in the future.

Wildside
    Replay
    The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
    Tau Zero
    The Light of Other Days

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    LoTR
    Harry Dresden series
    Miles Vorkosigan series
    Earthsea trilogy
    Martian Chronicles

and a coupla non-sff series.

And I wouldn't mind reading Harry Potter again -- maybe one of these days. And the Riyria books could easily go on the reread list in the future.
    You have just reminded me, I need to find the Martian Chronicles, not read it sisnce i was a kid (a long time ago)

Man of Ways and Means kennychaffin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ochos View Post
    You have just reminded me, I need to find the Martian Chronicles, not read it sisnce i was a kid (a long time ago)
    and it's available as an ebook now.

I rarely re-read novels. I have re-read Dhalgren a number of times, it's the only one that comes to mind that I've actually re-read. Now short stories I have a number of them that I've read over and over and over....

Don't want to drag this off topic if the idea is really to discuss books (BTW The Martian Chronicles is really a set of short stories ) but here's my current list:

The Prophet from Jupiter - Tony Earley
    The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas - Ursala K LeGuin (Incredible Story)
    The Story of Your Life - Ted Chiang (also Hell is the Absence of God...and others he is an excellent short story writer)
    Wild Horses - Rick Bass
    Frost and Fire - Ray Bradbury
    The Jilting of Granny Weatherall - Katherine Anne Porter
    Rescue Party - Arthur C Clarke
    The Star - Arthur C Clarke
    A Rose for Ecclesiastes - Roger Zelazny
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
    Cathedral - Raymond Carver
    Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes.
    The Lottery - Shirley Jackson
    The Fall of the House of Usher, The Cask of Amontillado, The Tell-Tale Heart - Edgar Allen Poe
    A Boy and His Dog - Harlan Ellison
    An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge - Ambrose Bierce
    The Hills Like White Elephants - Ernest Hemingway
    The End of Something - Ernest Hemingway
    A Clean Well Lighted Place - Hemingway
    A Rose for Emily - Faulkner
    Chicxulub - T.C. Boyle
    Bullet in the Brain - Tobias Wolff
    Where Have you Been, Where are you Going - Joyce Carol Oates
    The Ceiling - Kevin Brockmeier

I have a bunch of books that I used to read multiple times basically through my 20's and 30'. I got to the point where I had read them enough that I could not really enjoy them anymore so I stuck them in a box (or 2) in the attic with a "for a rainy day" label.
    Dune and most books by Zelazny among others. I then made a concerted effort to find new books. Strangely enough but since then (it has been 15 years ish) I have not found many books I want to re-read. Probably more of a habit change than anything. Unfortunately I am always straining to find new books that I want to read.

To Sail Beyond the Sunset - Robert A. Heinlein
    The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury
    Hobbit - J. R. R. Tolkien (The second reading was obligatory for my final exams on high school, but it reminded me that it is book which I can read again and again)
    Jiri Kulhanek - The Night Club

I'd like to read a lot of books again, but the desire to read new books is much stronger!

Shadow's Lure (June 2011)
    Blog Entries
    Although I don't re-read as much as I used to (due to having less reading time and my ever-growing TBR pile), here are some I've enjoyed several times:

LoTR
    The Black Company
    Elric Saga
    Conan Saga
    A Stranger in a Strange Land

Quote Originally Posted by Ochos View Post
    Hi, Well I've read Lord of the Rings for the 18th time, since i was a kid, recently and I can safely say that for me, it never gets old. I absolutely love it and sometimes (not all the time) precede it with the Hobbit. I've read The Kingkiller Chronicles 3 times and have just started reading Malazan again and many others. The point is I really like re-reading my favourite books, i dont think theres a book I've really liked that I haven't read at least twice. Anyone else have their faves that they re-read over and over, or do you just read once and never again?
    Holy Moly,

18 Times!!??

That's amazing. For me LOTR 4 times... never could get through the Silmarillion.... Hobbit 3 times I think. I have done 1 reread of MBOTF.... although I also have been reading the MBOTF reread on TOR.COM which is now on TCG..... so I guess I would have to say 1 reread and 1 cliffnotes version. The MBOTF reread on TOR is excellent BTW.... wish it was around when I first read it.... Amanda is awesome! I have reread the Thrawn trillogy in the Star Wars universe.... Read Chronicles of Thomas Covenant 3 times and the Second Chronicles twice.

Those are the entire series rereads that I can think of off the top of my head. I have had many more rereads of individual books inside a series (usually right before reading the latest book.... My memory is criminal). My latest reread was Blood Song when I got Tower Lord... I just didn't remember enough of Blood Song to feel comfortable. Luckily I read pretty fast as it is, so my rereads take even less time..... but the answer to your question I guess is that there are only a few series that I will reread. If and when I am caught u enough on my current reading list (getting ready to start Mark Lawrence) I will do a re-reread of Malazan..... that will take a couple of months for sure.

Cheers though!

I've never re-read any book or series. Ever. I am starting to feel like I can't re-read just anything now. Whatever I choose to re-read will have a leg up on all the other books when they get together and discuss "who he likes best". I have considered re-reading Malazan, not because it's my favorite, but because it's so freaking dense. I'm sure I missed a million little plot points. The main reason is that my To-Read-List is so large and I feel so many good books are on it, that I don't want to waste time reading a book I've already read and know. If I could erase First Law or Acts of Caine i'd love to re-read those.

The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley. I've read each forty four times. I read them twice a year, and have ever since I first read them. I pretty much have them memorized.

I'm currently near the end of my 3rd or 4th re-read of ASOIAF depending how you count it (5th time through the early books, 2nd through the last 2).

I've read almost all of WOT at least three times, again the earlier ones more that that, but I've still never read the final one. I have a 1st edition hardback of A Memory Of Light on the shelf and I've never opened it. Probably never will.

I've read LOTR six times over the last 30 years, and I still don't really like it all that much.

Dune maybe 6 times (only the first one, the others left me cold).

Tanith Lee's Blood Opera trilogy about 8 times. I keep hoping the third one will be better than I remembered it, and it never is.

All Joe Abercrombie's stuff except Red Country at least three times. Red Country is due for a re-read actually, now that I think of it.

Some of Stephen King's short stories that I really love I've read over and over and over again since the 80s - Crouch End probably has the record, but I've lost count.

The novel I've read the most has to be Tanith Lee's When the Lights Go Out though - I've got an old paperback copy I bought about 30 years ago which I've read so many times it's literally falling apart. This is my go-to, feel-good book I know I can read from start to finish in one sitting. One day I'll figure out what the hell it's about.

The way i normally do it is read a few new books, say 4-5, then go back and re-read a favourite