Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Books Focused on heavy political intrigue.

I've recently finished Adrian Tchaikovsky's Shadow of the Apt series. I enjoyed but just to much endless war and battles and not enough on the political intrigue and scheming. I also like books with a more magical presence.

I really like GOT. I also really like my books to be real (as in no obviously purely good or evil characters)

I'm reading David Anthony Durham's Acacia right now and it fits your bill. So far it is very good. It probably helps if you're a bit far removed from your reading of GoT as there are some who find some similarities between them and find that to be frustrating. It's not an issue for me.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up The day after tomorrow

Allan Folsom died in may of this last year and I just happened to pick up his book in the one dollar bin of wonder book. Greaaaaaaaat politicos thriller dawgggg

You might give Daniel Abraham a try. Both his series have quite a bit of political intrigue.

Have you read the Empire trilogy by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts? It's all about political intrigue and scheming.

Quote Originally Posted by Nechtan View Post
    Have you read the Empire trilogy by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts? It's all about political intrigue and scheming.

I have not. Sounds good though

Seconded! This'll be a perfect fit.

Another good one is the Sun Sword series by Michelle West. That has lots of other stuff too, but a fair amount on politics and intrigues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitleyrr View Post
    your reading of GoT
    Is aSoIF series officially GoT series now?
    I actually don't follow it.

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvuce View Post
    Is aSoIF series officially GoT series now?
    I actually don't follow it.
    No, but since the HBO tv show, they tend to be used interchagably. Also the OP may have just been referring to the first book.

I like this sort of thing too, might have to give these a look - thanks!

I'm surprised she hasn't been mentioned yet, but most of Robin Hobb's books fall into the political intrigue category. Especially her Tawny Man trilogy (that of course must be read after her fantastic Farseer and Liveship Traders trilogies).

Guy Gavriel Kay has lots of intrigue in his books. The mosaic dulogy (Sailing to Serentium and Lord of Emperors) is a Byzantine/Rome themed low fantasy with lots of political intrigue. Kay's books have less characters and than ASOIF, but still have strong characters and intrigue. He has excellent worldbuilding.

Do you have to read riftwar series first?

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellequin View Post
    Do you have to read riftwar series first?
    Short answer: No. The Empire series is set on a different world, with its own cast of characters and storyline. While Pug from Riftwar shows up briefly in Empire, that's about the extent of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Davis Ashura View Post
    Short answer: No. The Empire series is set on a different world, with its own cast of characters and storyline. While Pug from Riftwar shows up briefly in Empire, that's about the extent of it.

Do you recommend reading it first?