Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    Still waiting for my copy to arrive. I bought this at the same time I bought Grossman's second Magician book which doesn't come out until 8/9 so it will probably be two weeks until I get it. I am kicking myself I should have had each book shipped separately so POT would get here faster.
    It's very good. I read the ARC though and I understand there have been some fairly large changes in the final version. I'm going to have to read it and find out.

In other news - Mark's book has been whetting my appetite for 8 months. Started it last night around 11:30 and read about 15% of it. Looking forward to having some thoughts this weekend.

Na', all is cool Mark, just 3rdI stirring problems where there are none.

Anyways, I hope my book arrives soon, quite eager to try it myself. Hopefully FedEx will hurry up... but it looks like it'll take a while before it gets here

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    Seriously - I'm not here to 'intimidate' anyone out of speaking their mind. I have worried that some people might feel authors who join threads on their own book are somehow cramping posters' style and would rather have these as 'private' conversations - if you know what I mean. If that were the case I'd be more than happy to bow out. I just enjoy taking part is all. Certainly don't want to polarise things.
    You are cool. We appreciate the dialogue. Just want the damn book to get here so I can take part in the conversation man!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    Seriously - I'm not here to 'intimidate' anyone out of speaking their mind. I have worried that some people might feel authors who join threads on their own book are somehow cramping posters' style and would rather have these as 'private' conversations - if you know what I mean. If that were the case I'd be more than happy to bow out. I just enjoy taking part is all. Certainly don't want to polarise things.
    It's not your fault, Mark. Personally I think you should get involved, because at the very least it reflects well upon yourself. What matters, in my opinion, is how an author takes criticism, constructive or otherwise. I understand one of your editors raised this issue earlier today, funnily enough. Over the past few months, I've spoken to you over Twitter, and found you a perfectly agreeable person. That goes for interviews, discussions you've been involved with here and on Fantasy Faction, and so forth. I have no issue with you as a person, and that's partially why I felt bad when I wrote the review. I felt the same with one of Jim C. Hines' books and also Mark Charan Newton's. Heck, I even felt bad over not caring for Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksenarrion, because she was a fairly active and approachable member of SFFWorld at the time (or just before I got the books, anyway).

As a staff member of SFFWorld, I don't want you to feel like members are stopping you from posting in topics about your own work. Your book has done incredibly well, and you should be proud of that, and you should also be able to feel as if you can interact with your fans and get feedback. After all, you are an author, and I assume that part of the reason you're here and on other sites is to gauge feedback to your book. On the other side of that, one reason members are here - and why this topic is here - is to discuss your book. It's not here to heap praise upon praise on your book, it's to allow people to discuss it. Most of that discussion has been very positive, but it also allows for the less positive - such as my review.

For those who don't know, Mark did encourage me slightly to post my review. I mentioned on Twitter that I wasn't looking forward to doing so, and I'm sure Mark was aware that it wasn't going to be a glowing review.

I have known Mark online for some time, and I know that he can take criticism, and take it well, and very often do good things with it.

Most authors who have reached the point of publication have been through a lot of criticism, and much worse criticism than I see here. This is a thread for discussing the book, good and bad, and in my opinion it's entirely fair to say negative things about it. But then I'm not a moderator so I'll stop acting like one

I like the book very much. In my house we already have five copies--one on a kindle, one on a Nook, two hardcovers for reading, and one signed hardcover which nobody is allowed to touch. I gave it five stars on goodreads and on amazon.

edit: ah, I see we are all agreed. Never mind!

Holly ****, are you trying to save the book industry by yourself?

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And well done Mark for doing so.

Not my intention to take things astray but I think I'd better explain 'the SFFWorld line', as it is, just in case people are not sure. There seems to be a little confusion here.

It's quite simple really. We are all fans as well as staff members. We all have our own opinions, which can often be VERY different. Staff are first and foremost members as well as staff, and are perfectly entitled to make their opinions known in the Forums, same as any other member.

What we don't do is that we don't write official reviews 'for promotion', though they are sometimes used for that and we like our egos stroked by doing so.

However Rule #1 is honesty. If we don't like something, we will say so, in the same way as if we do. You can usually be sure that we will justify our reasons. We are very aware that different people may give different reviews, and on occasion we will run two reviews of the same book or even two reviews from different people together.

Personally, I think it would be wrong if people changed their opinions just because they felt they should. Following the 'honesty rule', the negatives can sometimes be just as informative as the positives, even when you may disagree with what's said. However we do ask for civility and manners even if the review is negative.

This, of course, applies to any author/book/thread, not just Mark's, though as it has appeared here, I thought I'd take the opportunity to explain to those not in the know. Hope that's been useful.

Thanks all!

Mark
    Last edited by Hobbit; August 4th, 2011 at 10:46 AM.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    Holly ****, are you trying to save the book industry by yourself?
    Heh, is that addressed to me?

I wish I could save the book industry, but I just don't have the money for it.

I'd like to think I've helped a little bit in the Boston area, though, and also boosted Barnes and Noble a bit.

[also I'm not the only person in my house]

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That's great, Mazarkis: some people would just buy one and share it around.

(I'm hearing of this now being done a lot on readers in households.)

But perhaps not that signed hardcover...

So kudos for you: spreading the word!

Mark
    Mark

I just wanted to add my voice to the discussion.

I started reading this last night. I'm up to chapter 11 now. So far, it seems very well written and attention-grabbing. I'm not sure I'd say that I'm "enjoying" it, but IMHO the level of craft is high. It'll be very interesting to see whether Jorg stays this insane throughout the entire book....

Also -- I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I LOVE that cover!

edited to add -- Oh, btw -- I'm actually READING this one. Y'all should be impressed. I hardly ever actually read these days -- I almost always listen on audio. Unfortunately, this isn't available in audio format. I wouldn't have bothered to buy the text version of this one, except for the threads about it here and on the Westeros board....
    Last edited by Contrarius; August 4th, 2011 at 11:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    Here's my policy... If an author has the stones to be here taking the good and the bad with some class and a sense of humor... I buy some of their books to give them a try.
    I just added this series to my list of things to do. This does not mean I'll like it, but it deserves a chance because I might love it. I'm in.
    Last edited by Twinner; August 4th, 2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Typing on my phone.... is... beyond me it seems.

All of this discussion is really pushing the book up my proverbial to-read pile.

Blog Entries
    Say one thing about Spears&Buckler. Say he's jazzed that Prince of Thorns will be in his mailbox when he gets home from work today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    All of this discussion is really pushing the book up my proverbial to-read pile.
    Seems like the controversy caused by my review isn't such a bad thing after all, then.

I do love some of the phrases in this book --

"It's one of those swords they say can make the wind bleed."

Mmm mmm gooood.