Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Faux friendly misanthrope Szron666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    Contrarius clearly has good sources!

Actually I was thinking of Empire of Thorns but the publisher told me Emperor had worked its way into the system too deep to be uprooted. So yes, Emperor of Thorns. Last one!

Book due August 2013. Very glad you enjoyed the first two. If you tell a friend/write a review/get a facial tattoo of the cover/carve it into a large cornfield etc then I'll stand further in your debt
    That's kind of why I didn't want to make assumptions Cannot wait to get my hands on it though! I will get to making the crop circles now sure. But seriously, I will tell friends etc definitely.

Is there anywhere where I could read a recap of Prince of Thorns? I've started KoT and can't remember much.

The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpKnight View Post
    Is there anywhere where I could read a recap of Prince of Thorns? I've started KoT and can't remember much.
    Can't think of anywhere. You could just read PoT again

I don't think there's an awful lot you need to remember to be honest...

I just went and flipped through. That'll do.

100 pages into KoT and it's great. Forgot how much fun I had with the first one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    That will be fun. These remain some of my favorite fantasy covers. :-)
    The third one is in gestation! http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.co.u...f-cover-i.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    Ha, of course Jorg would have to crown himself. Great start on the cover!

I thought I might just pop in and say that I was thoroughly enjoying King of Thorns (more than Prince of Thorns) on audiobook up until the audible file I downloaded started glitching and warping the narration to demonic proportions. It was utterly terrifying. Anyways, I am just re-downloading it now. I don't know if anyone else here has commented on the audiobook version, but I am finding it to be a pretty decent production.

Just finished King of Thorns last night - up to midnight. A highlight of my fantasy reading over past few years and very much looking forward to the third in the series. Highly recommended. Now I need to figure out what I purchase for my next fantasy read.

Quote Originally Posted by xcessive View Post
    I thought I might just pop in and say that I was thoroughly enjoying King of Thorns (more than Prince of Thorns) on audiobook up until the audible file I downloaded started glitching and warping the narration to demonic proportions. It was utterly terrifying. Anyways, I am just re-downloading it now. I don't know if anyone else here has commented on the audiobook version, but I am finding it to be a pretty decent production.
    Yeah, I listened to both Prince and King in audio. IMHO the narrator suited the material pretty well.

Good luck with your re-download. I didn't have any trouble with my copy, so hopefully that was just an isolated glitch in your original download process!

I read King… while on holiday in Italy, and had a real battle between taking in the vistas of the Amalfi coast and diving back into the book, really enjoyed it once the two concurrent tales clicked. Well, I say enjoyed…

I have to ask though Mark, do you sometimes step away from the keyboard feeling you need to take a shower? Some of the narrative is really grim, I personally struggled with the section dealing with
    Spoiler:
    Justice
    , yet despite the vileness of the whole vignette it all helps to make Jorg that much more believable and rounded as a character.

All told the difficult second album an improvement on the first all round – I even recommended it to Silvercue (look back into the depths of this thread), honestly answering his immediate question “Is it a bit bloody longer than the first” when we were at the pub the other week He will be picking it up, so there is another 8% for you, and be interested to see his comments.

Looking forward to the conclusion, although given the size of the fractured empire how you fit all the nastiness that the world still has to offer into a single book will be interesting. Oh, and if you get tired of sitting here soaking up praise, and fancy blasting the heads off some cyberpunk goons instead, I will be around on Steam for some Borderlands 2 fun and games – an open invite – us 40-something prowlers of 2nd hand bookshops need to stick together
    Last edited by Snowy; September 18th, 2012 at 05:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    I have to ask though Mark, do you sometimes step away from the keyboard feeling you need to take a shower? Some of the narrative is really grim, I personally struggled with the section dealing with
    Spoiler:
    Justice
    , yet despite the vileness of the whole vignette it all helps to make Jorg that much more believable and rounded as a character.
    Interesting question, especially as I got my first bit of hate mail this week

-----
    I really think you are one sick disturbed person. <snip> That sentence is seared into my brain and has given me nightmares. It might be fiction but it is just horrible. There is no excuse for this sort of thing. The torture of an innocent animal. <snip> I will never ever read another book by you as long as I live. I dont know where all this darkness comes from with you but you are quite obviously disturbed. I don't care if you are with 10 kids and 5 dogs. Sick sick sick...
    -----

And the answer is, no, not in the least. Some scenes are emotionally draining but the overwhelming sensation when I'm done writing is a mix of wonder and satisfaction. I've always envied the singer and/or musician their skill whereby they can with a handful of notes raise the hairs on the back of your arms and stir the strongest emotions in you. And here am I just hitting little plastic letter keys on a board ... and yet somehow tens of thousands of people are seeing what I see, getting involved in the fate of people (and animals) that have never existed - that I made up off the top of my head - and I'm somehow beating that emotion and passion through these little black marks on the page or screen ... and people are actually laughing and crying, or approaching it, each depending on their nature.

It's marvellous.

That woman thought she was ripping me a new one, but all I'm thinking is - a single sentence and it's seared into her brain!

And if you have the ability to capture something like that - to take people into new places and situations - it seems to me it would be a criminal waste not to push it to extremes, not to plumb the highs and lows and try to squeeze out of what ever minor skills I have the very most that's given to me.

Anyhow, that's my take on it

Some more detail for you then Mark. At that point in the story it had not 'clicked' for me - I was a little confused by the two timelines and trying to work out what the hell was going on, and was not sure I was enjoying the book.

Then I read the section about the luckless mutt, and unquestionably found it hard going - absolutely right you hit emotional triggers there - and wondered if I wanted to continue. I had exactly the same response when reading other books, Irvine Welsh has a hideous scene involving poochicide in one of his books, and the end of a certain billy-bumbler made this grizzled 40-something very teary eyed.

But.

It was, for me, such an important scene. As a reader I was there in the room, I WAS Jorg, I felt everything he was feeling and you managed to get the words down in exactly the right place on the page to capture where I was in my head right then (I don't know if that comes across, or makes sense, but I hope so).
    Spoiler:
    Every utterance of "One more...", every swing of the hammer, every agonised howl, each served to shear away human emotion, to harden Jorg more, and the final throw of the torch was the final blow. I am no writer, but the pyre of Justice in my head cauterised the wounds inflicted on Jorg, leaving a harder but much less human creature in its' wake. It left me in a similar state, drained, saddened, hardened, and more understanding of and affinity with the boy I had spent one and a half books in the shoes of.

The ‘being’ Jorg, especially in a book written in the first person, stayed. For the remainder of the story (which was superb) I looked out from his eyes, and it is very rare that I am that engaged by a book.

You won’t get any hate mail from me, distressing as that chapter was, as in this case you pulled my strings masterfully.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to say, thanks for the interesting reply in the first place!

EDIT 2: I also think you paint your ability in a poor light. You hit plastic keys on a board, the musician makes a bit of metal vibrate over a magnet, both can be disparagingly described...
    Last edited by Snowy; September 19th, 2012 at 09:55 AM.

I find it funny that with all the things that are done to men, women, and children in the books, she got all upset about a dog.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthar View Post
    Finished KoT last week.

I thought it was very good, with an interesting device (plot and physical) to help bridge 2 different timelines. Jorg is less odious than from my perception of PoT, but still cagey and brutal when needed.

Neither of the next 2 books in my to-read list have no chance of grabbing my attention as much. Well done Mark.
    Thanks! I missed this one. When you make 29 posts in 3 years you deserve a reply!

Does less odious mean better? KoT is beating out PoT quite heavily in this poll: http://www.twiigs.com/poll/Entertainment/98323

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I preferred the brashness of Jorg in PoT to the Jorg of KoT.
    ; however, KoT is a better developed book and it shows a little more growth in your writing.