Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Just finished this one yesterday and thought it was great. Debut of the year imho. Loved the writing style. It was a breath of fresh air after having just suffered through The Omen Machine. Really enjoyed the first person narritive.

Did have a few minor quibbles:

- As like everyone else itt, Jorgs age. I keep thinking of him as 17 or 18. I think even aging him up to 16 would have been much more plausible.

- The length of the book. I was just really getting entranced in this story/world and then it was over. Kinda reminded me of another great book I recently read, The Adamantine Palace. I could of happily stayed inside of Jorgs head for another 300 pages.

- Finally, the lack of explanation of the "magic system". I hope this is discussed in more detail in subsequent books.

All in all great read. Thanks for the awesome debut Mark. Really looking forward to King of Thorns next summer.

Argh, I had a hunch before I start that it was going to be a bad idea to read this. And of course you just have to prove me right!!

This is just as bad as when I finished The Warded Man and The Name of the Wind. The book was so good that you are driving me crazy waiting in anticipation for the next one. According to goodreads, your second installation won't be out for another 10 hellish months .

Out of curiosity, do you know if most authors have their whole entire series planned and structured when they begin their first book, or do they only keep a vague idea of what they want and fill the rest as they go?

The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttz96 View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you know if most authors have their whole entire series planned and structured when they begin their first book, or do they only keep a vague idea of what they want and fill the rest as they go?
    Hey, glad you enjoyed the book!

My window into other authors is as narrow as yours, but my impression is that practice spreads from one extreme to the other, with most clustering in between those extremes - with broad planning followed by detailed filling in.

With me I generally have no plan at all and just follow the story as it comes off my fingers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttz96 View Post
    Argh, I had a hunch before I start that it was going to be a bad idea to read this. And of course you just have to prove me right!!

This is just as bad as when I finished The Warded Man and The Name of the Wind. The book was so good that you are driving me crazy waiting in anticipation for the next one. According to goodreads, your second installation won't be out for another 10 hellish months .
    Apologies At least you know my trilogy is written. If I were to lose an argument with a bus the books would still reach you. And to whet your appetite you might be interested in the cover for the next book:
    http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.com/

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Nice cover. I rather like the similarity to, but progression from, the first.
    Last edited by PeterWilliam; October 17th, 2011 at 05:37 PM.

Ha. No need to ask whether that's the same artist or not. Good job!

Despite the hooded figure (again) I like it (again). I think it's just like in the first cover, the assumed body language of the character on the cover is very well done.

I reckon Jorgy-poo is brooding over which woman to use as a book stand. He's definitely got that look on his face.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    Apologies At least you know my trilogy is written. If I were to lose an argument with a bus the books would still reach you. And to whet your appetite you might be interested in the cover for the next book:
    http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.com/
    Don't jinx it Mark!

Finished it last night, thought it was great.

One question, since what point:

Spoiler:
    was Jorg being manipulated? Was it since he arrived at the tower to have his revenge on Corion and his uncle? Or was it since he was thrown on the thorn bush? Going to need to re-read some points (but knowing me, I doubt I'll do so).
    Last edited by Bastard; October 20th, 2011 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    Finished it last night, thought it was great.

One question, since what point:

Spoiler:
    was Jorg being manipulated? Was it since he arrived at the tower to have his revenge on Corion and his uncle? Or was it since he was thrown on the thorn bush? Going to need to re-read some points (but knowing me, I doubt I'll do so).
    My understanding was

Spoiler:

that he'd been manipulated since the thorns. But I think that Mark left this very ambiguous on purpose. Is Jorg really this evil son of a bitch? Or was that his revenge being played out on other's as a surrogate for his anger at his mother's killers?

Quote Originally Posted by JustaStaffer View Post
    My understanding was

Spoiler:

that he'd been manipulated since the thorns. But I think that Mark left this very ambiguous on purpose. Is Jorg really this evil son of a bitch? Or was that his revenge being played out on other's as a surrogate for his anger at his mother's killers?
    I think that might be the case, but...

Spoiler:
    I think the ending reveals that he's really that type of person. That what Corion did was maybe make him more successful than he might have been otherwise, and just him manipulate him towards where he should focus his attention.

My question is really about when Jorg has his first kill, when he doesn't remember doing it. So I'm not sure if that was Corion, or Jorg himself, or some other force we haven't been revealed to yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    I think that might be the case, but...

Spoiler:
    I think the ending reveals that he's really that type of person. That what Corion did was maybe make him more successful than he might have been otherwise, and just him manipulate him towards where he should focus his attention.

My question is really about when Jorg has his first kill, when he doesn't remember doing it. So I'm not sure if that was Corion, or Jorg himself, or some other force we haven't been revealed to yet.
    Where's that author when you need him? Not that I even really want the answer. I enjoy the wondering I think. Part of why I thought Prince works really well as a standalone. I'll read King, but I don't feel compelled for plot reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaStaffer View Post
    Where's that author when you need him? Not that I even really want the answer. I enjoy the wondering I think. Part of why I thought Prince works really well as a standalone. I'll read King, but I don't feel compelled for plot reasons.
    Ah yes, I don't want an answer now, unless it's something I actually missed. Might come back to it after the trilogy is done.

Blog Entries
    @Bastard - yeah a little ambiguity is good. You only _think_ you want to know the answer

I'd say that even if it were entirely a stand alone & probably give different 'off the record' versions to different people depending on the weather.

But, yes, it's ongoing...