Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 577
  1. #211
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Fleet, Hampshire, England
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    Let me know how you get on with it! Sometimes too much anticipation can be a bad thing
    I think it's best we meet for a beer

  2. #212
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Fleet, Hampshire, England
    Posts
    104
    I have not quite finished the book yet and I really like it. It feels like something a bit different, which is hard in this busy genre. I also like a dark side to my fantasy (the reason a friend recommended the book I think).

    However, I do feel slightly short-changed - I will try to explain (may have been mentioned in the thread - I haven't read it all, so apologise if so).

    Fantasy has an annoying habit of producing trilogies. This is fine for me when we have a vast worlds and huge story to tell. This however, is not part of a trilogy; it is more like a novel cut into three. How can the series justify a trilogy, when the first book is one of the shortest I have read for years? Triple it in size and we still have a normal size book. This means 3 times the charge to the customer. I will certainly not be buying the next hard back for sure, and will think twice about the paperback now.

    Mark, maybe you can comment. I hope you don't think I am being rude, but it doesn't feel right to me.

  3. #213
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercue View Post
    However, I do feel slightly short-changed - I will try to explain (may have been mentioned in the thread - I haven't read it all, so apologise if so).

    Fantasy has an annoying habit of producing trilogies. This is fine for me when we have a vast worlds and huge story to tell. This however, is not part of a trilogy; it is more like a novel cut into three. How can the series justify a trilogy, when the first book is one of the shortest I have read for years? Triple it in size and we still have a normal size book. This means 3 times the charge to the customer. I will certainly not be buying the next hard back for sure, and will think twice about the paperback now.

    Mark, maybe you can comment. I hope you don't think I am being rude, but it doesn't feel right to me.
    Well, novels and series do have different forms. If it's Modesitt, you end up with a bunch of loosely connected books that form a series (with some trilogies and duologies in there for good measure), sometimes a book is actually cut up (it's happened to Martin over here) or so on.

    I wouldn't say Prince of Thorns is particularly special in any regard. It's book one of what I think is a trilogy. It's been like that from the start as far as I'm aware, rather than a big book cut into three parts. Just because it's the shortest you've read, it doesn't mean it's actually short (if that makes any sense whatsoever).

  4. #214
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Fleet, Hampshire, England
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    Apologies At least you know my trilogy is written. If I were to lose an argument with a bus the books would still reach you.
    Following my previous post - reading this makes me feel even more short changed.

    I assumed you (Mark or publisher) just wanted to get something out quickly, but the story is finished and chopped into three? Can't see the justification based on the tiny size of the debut. Is the 2nd book 3-4 times the size?

  5. #215
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Fleet, Hampshire, England
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Well, novels and series do have different forms. If it's Modesitt, you end up with a bunch of loosely connected books that form a series (with some trilogies and duologies in there for good measure), sometimes a book is actually cut up (it's happened to Martin over here) or so on.

    I wouldn't say Prince of Thorns is particularly special in any regard. It's book one of what I think is a trilogy. It's been like that from the start as far as I'm aware, rather than a big book cut into three parts. Just because it's the shortest you've read, it doesn't mean it's actually short (if that makes any sense whatsoever).
    I don't think you have really understood my point.

  6. #216
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercue View Post
    I don't think you have really understood my point.
    That might be true.

    You're saying you feel short-changed because the trilogy is already written?

  7. #217
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Fleet, Hampshire, England
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    That might be true.

    You're saying you feel short-changed because the trilogy is already written?
    Not exactly. I feel short changed because I understand why a 3000 page story is broken into three books and called a trilogy. I am happy to pay for three whole books to read that.

    This feels to me like a normal sized story, that could be published as one book, especially at is complete, that has been chopped into three to triple returns.

    If the other two books are as short as that - I cannot understand any other reason why it was not sold as one book. I am happy to hear the explanantion.

  8. #218
    Jack Bauer Bastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bastard Books
    Posts
    1,829
    So, you came up with this whole conclusions without reading books 2 or 3... how do you know how they will fit together?

    I will never understand when people complain about length. I mean, if it's that important to you, why not check you know, the details?

    It's like people complaining about vampire books when buying books about vampires. In any case, publishers by what it looks like are quite averse at big book debuts. Though in general, Prince of Thorns was a bit short, but so are most debuts coming out from what I see.

  9. #219
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercue View Post
    Not exactly. I feel short changed because I understand why a 3000 page story is broken into three books and called a trilogy. I am happy to pay for three whole books to read that.
    A 3000 page story is broken into three books because a 3000 page book is not commercially viable, but also because it could take a long time to write, edit and so on. Series allow an author to write it in chunks, and a publisher to prepare it in such a manner.

    Maybe Mark wrote it as a trilogy? I'm not speaking for him, but because the first is short it doesn't necessarily mean that the others will be, nor that it was a story cut into three just to sell it as three. The fact it's already written is irrelevant.

  10. #220
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Fleet, Hampshire, England
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    So, you came up with this whole conclusions without reading books 2 or 3... how do you know how they will fit together?

    I will never understand when people complain about length. I mean, if it's that important to you, why not check you know, the details?

    It's like people complaining about vampire books when buying books about vampires. In any case, publishers by what it looks like are quite averse at big book debuts. Though in general, Prince of Thorns was a bit short, but so are most debuts coming out from what I see.
    It is called an opinion and I stand by it. Where I got the book from did not have detail about length. I would not mind as much if it was a stand alone.

    Would you be happy then buying a trilogy of 3 x 100 pages? There is a limit and that will be down to individual's views. I have told you mine, that is all.

    And your vampire analogy doesn't really fit.

  11. #221
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercue View Post
    Not exactly. I feel short changed because I understand why a 3000 page story is broken into three books and called a trilogy. I am happy to pay for three whole books to read that.

    This feels to me like a normal sized story, that could be published as one book, especially at is complete, that has been chopped into three to triple returns.

    If the other two books are as short as that - I cannot understand any other reason why it was not sold as one book. I am happy to hear the explanantion.
    Errr....why does there need to be an explanation?? That's simply the way the book came out in Mark's head.

    If you want examples of other series with short books, try Earthsea. Or Narnia. Or Lewis' Space trilogy. Or Conan. Or John Carter of Mars. Or Vorkosigan. There's lots of examples out there.

  12. #222
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Fleet, Hampshire, England
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    Errr....why does there need to be an explanation?? That's simply the way the book came out in Mark's head.

    If you want examples of other series with short books, try Earthsea. Or Narnia. Or Lewis' Space trilogy. Or Conan. Or John Carter of Mars. Or Vorkosigan. There's lots of examples out there.
    There doesn't need to be an explanation - I just said I am happy to hear one if there is, especially as the author posts here. My opinion, which I am entitled to, has been posted. If Mark wishes to comment he may change my mind. You certainly won't.

    I do love threads about books from authors who post here - people do seem to behave so differently

  13. #223
    Jack Bauer Bastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bastard Books
    Posts
    1,829
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercue View Post
    It is called an opinion and I stand by it. Where I got the book from did not have detail about length. I would not mind as much if it was a stand alone.

    Would you be happy then buying a trilogy of 3 x 100 pages? There is a limit and that will be down to individual's views. I have told you mine, that is all.

    And your vampire analogy doesn't really fit.
    I personally don't give a rat's ass about book length, I like the book I like the book, that's all that matters to me.

    What I am saying is, if that's something that is important to you then just do your research. If you don't like short books or whatever, that's fine, as you say...your opinion. But, don't see why come here and complain about length of a book when that information is readily available practically everywhere. Then, while asking for explanations, come up with a concoction of assumptions while crying about how you won't buy HC and maybe not even the paperback of the sequels just because the book is short.

    In all I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense to me when people complain about something they experience when reading a book when that information was readily available in many places before you even had to decide to buy the book, that's where the vampire analogy came from. Keep seeing people saying how they didn't like a book because it was about vampires, then why the heck would you buy a book which the description says it's about vampires in the first place? That's all I'm saying, you don't like short books, well that's cool.

    But why complain about buying a short book just because you didn't do proper research, since it's obviously something that it's important to you. And, I don't think 900+ pages is normal sized (using your assumption that all books would be about equal in length), at least from what I can see from recent trends.

    I personally like short books, they're usually are more fast paced which is more of my pace. But that's just a matter of opinion, but the idea still stands that if length is important then I guess one should hunt down that info before buying.

    I'll just leave it at that before derailing the thread more into a discussion of book length and buying practices.

  14. #224
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Fleet, Hampshire, England
    Posts
    104
    We have differet opinions Bastard - that is what makes forums worth using.

  15. #225
    Jack Bauer Bastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bastard Books
    Posts
    1,829
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercue View Post
    We have differet opinions Bastard - that is what makes forums worth using.
    I'm cool with your opinion, just saying that what you're complaining about (book length) is something that is evitable from a book buying perspective (so if you don't like reading a short book, you can put the blame squarely on your shoulders). So to me, these types of complaints don't make much sense to me as long as information is readily available (which it is) and buyers aren't being mislead.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •