Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    OK, I just got the answer for my first spoilered point. Yeah... Not sure what to think about it.

Just bought the book today. Should be here in about a week. I am so stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    Just bought the book today. Should be here in about a week. I am so stoked!
    This thing got reviewed WAY to early by the blogs. I've been anticipating this so long now that it's here I'm almost burned out, haha.

Looking forward to reading it soon myself.

Blog Entries
    I ordered my copy last night. Buzz is good and I like the descriptions I've seen. I'm sure this will be a good one.

I breached page 150 today, and I have to say I'm doing a bit of a reversal on my original thoughts. I'm not entirely sure what I think about this book, but that chapter with Sally the Whore was pretty good.

I enjoyed this, comparisons to Martin are ludicrous imo, my copy came with a sticker on it saying as good as Martin or something similar, but it was a solid read. Jorg worked for me, the mysterious background players were interesting, and the brothers both amusing and well realized.

Sure there were a few moments where coincidence seemed stretched, but I think they were for the large part forgivable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Wyvern View Post
    I enjoyed this, comparisons to Martin are ludicrous imo, my copy came with a sticker on it saying as good as Martin or something similar,
    To be honest, and I mean no offence to Mark here, I think this book is riding on the wave of Martin-philia currently in the US and UK. Leviathan Wakes has Martin mentioned, Prince of Thorns was given away with preorders for ADWD in a UK book chain and it has that big sticker on it. I think it's also published by Martin's ASoIaF publisher (Fevre Dream and Dreamsongs are Gollancz, whereas ASoIaF is Harper Voyager), hence the Bearded One over it.

The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I did an interview here:
    http://danieljeffreygoodman.wordpres...nce-of-thorns/

From which I will lift these pertainent portions:

Q: For example, being associated as the ‘British answer to GRRM’s ASOIAF series’ – with it being in the peak of its prime, with the tremendous triumph of the HBO series and (finally!) the release of ADWD- must help getting readership, surely. How does it make you feel, your work being called that?

A: Being compared to GRRM whilst obviously a compliment is more of a burden than anything else. GRRM is my favourite fantasy writer and probably the only fantasy writer I read whilst writing ‘Prince of Thorns’, but my book is nothing like ASOIAF and my style is not like his. In fact we’re quite possibly polar opposites. I’m given to brevity and have used a single first person point of view.

Q: Very true. While I did find both the books in ASOIAF and your debut extremely gritty, it would be a stretch to say that they’re similar. One’s stretching leagues and histories, but the other is focused strongly on one amoral person.

A: In fact, I call the comparison a burden as I’ve seen on multiple occasions people take it as a personal affront and then be prejudiced against my work because of a marketing statement made by someone I’ve never met – a marketing statement that I only discover once it’s in print. I have no control or input to these things. Seriously . . . bash me because a publisher rolls out the most predictable hype since everything was ‘comparable to Tolkien at his best’ in the 80′s?

I did hear that one bookseller was considering a sticker that read ‘As good as George Martin, or your money back’. I emailed my publisher a ‘please God no’ letter, and fortunately that never happened.

Let’s be real here. The chances are that like most ‘next big things’ I will be gone in a season or two, and that in five or ten years nobody will remember me. That’s fine. I have already vastly exceeded my expectations and at this stage everything is a bonus. I have both feet on the ground and the hyperbole just makes me smile.

<end section>

In case that's not clear - yes, GRRM is a much better writer than me. And pretty much everyone else too.

To those who it may concern or interest, Borders is shipping my pre-ordered book of Prince of Thorns.

The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    To those who it may concern or interest, Borders is shipping my pre-ordered book of Prince of Thorns.
    If you google on:

"prince of thorns" bastard

you will see the two have a close association

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Very interesting, Mark: thanks for adding that. Obviously we all hope it continues to go well!

Mark
    Mark

Lol, I thought that might be the case Mark. I don't think the comparison is valid, as you say your work is very different. I think most works would suffer from such a comparison, but thankfully stickers peel off easily .

I'm looking forward to the next book. And also wonder if you have considered trying to get Graphic Audio to record an audio version? I note there is no audiobook currently offered on Amazon. Having just listened to their recording of The Night Angel trilogy, I think the style would suit Prince of Thorns very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    If you google on:

"prince of thorns" bastard

you will see the two have a close association
    Looks like we were meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Wyvern View Post
    I'm looking forward to the next book. And also wonder if you have considered trying to get Graphic Audio to record an audio version? I note there is no audiobook currently offered on Amazon. Having just listened to their recording of The Night Angel trilogy, I think the style would suit Prince of Thorns very well.
    Oh please God not Graphic Audio. I'd LOVE to see an audio version of this -- but unabridged text, pretty pretty please!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    ...Let’s be real here. The chances are that like most ‘next big things’ I will be gone in a season or two, and that in five or ten years nobody will remember me...
    Let's hope you're wrong about this! Kindle copy of PoT downloaded today and read is well underway... great going so far!