Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    The numbers are a little deceptive. Many died in infancy or childhood, dragging down the life expectancy. If you lived through your childhood, and your diet was OK, you had a decent chance of living for a while.

[also a former history major]

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazarkis View Post
    The numbers are a little deceptive. Many died in infancy or childhood, dragging down the life expectancy. If you lived through your childhood, and your diet was OK, you had a decent chance of living for a while.

[also a former history major]
    I cannot disagree with you, except to say that's how the numbers come about. Not sure how that makes it deceptive.

[and a former physics major as well it says - congrats on the book btw, JF from Gollancz is a nice place to start]

I was thinking that many people interpret the numbers to mean you'd rarely see someone over forty.

And I agree--Jo Fletcher is great. Thanks.

Nashville Reader
    I just mentioned this "find" on my blog, but thought it was worth posting here. Most ebook stores (Kindle, Nook, Kobo) are selling the Prince of Thorns ebook for $12.99 here in the US. For some reason (I am guessing a mistake, if Penguin is an agency publisher), Books on Board is selling the book for just $7.99. Check it out here.

I bought the Kindle book last night for $12.99, before finding the BoB sale this morning. So far, really enjoying the book. I had written it off as something not for me, based on the reviews saying are dark, gritty, grim, etc the book was. Normally I don't go for much of that, but at the 70 page mark..really enjoying it so far.

The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Wyvern View Post
    I'm looking forward to the next book. And also wonder if you have considered trying to get Graphic Audio to record an audio version? I note there is no audiobook currently offered on Amazon. Having just listened to their recording of The Night Angel trilogy, I think the style would suit Prince of Thorns very well.
    I'm now told there will be an audiobook to be released next summer alongside the paperback (and King of Thorns hardback). I've not listened to an audiobook before so it will be a new experience & weird to hear my own dialogue read back at me Don't know who will be doing it yet.

The book should arrive tomorrow, although with my luck I won't get it until Tuesday.

The cover is one of the very best I have ever seen. Are you okay with people using it as their wallpaper?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    The book should arrive tomorrow, although with my luck I won't get it until Tuesday.

The cover is one of the very best I have ever seen. Are you okay with people using it as their wallpaper?
    I gotta agree I love the cover. I just made the new Best Served Cold cover my wallpaper, but when I start Prince of Thorns this week I think I'll change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    I'm now told there will be an audiobook to be released next summer alongside the paperback (and King of Thorns hardback). I've not listened to an audiobook before so it will be a new experience & weird to hear my own dialogue read back at me Don't know who will be doing it yet.
    Big congrats, Mark. I think that's very exciting.

And I agree with the others about your cover. You got very lucky with your cover artist. I hope you are even close to that lucky with your narrator. Maybe you could even get Stephen (sp?) Pacey, who IMHO is the best British narrator out there for this sort of book. Be sure and let us know when you find out, I'll be dying of curiosity!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post

Surely! *imagines the number of copies required such that their dustcovers could collectively wallpaper a room* Oh, you mean on a PC? That's OK too... *wipes away drool*

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    Surely! *imagines the number of copies required such that their dustcovers could collectively wallpaper a room* Oh, you mean on a PC? That's OK too... *wipes away drool*
    haha that would kind of rock though. Makes me wonder if anyone has ever tried that. Wallpapering an entire room with a book cover.

Cross your fingers for me dude ze book might arrive today. This is all Lev Grossman's fault for releasing his book a week later than yours. They would have both been here already!

Just finished Prince of Thorns, Mark, and thought it was a fun read. Nice to see a less than nice character without a lot of moral baggage, yet still be able to identify with him and his voice. Quick read with lots of action, and great on entertainment.

Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Marquitz View Post
    Just finished Prince of Thorns, Mark, and thought it was a fun read. Nice to see a less than nice character without a lot of moral baggage, yet still be able to identify with him and his voice. Quick read with lots of action, and great on entertainment.

Thank you.
    Thanks Tim, much appreciated. Always nice to see a satisfied customer

I see that Rob has posted a review and interview on SFF World today as well:

http://www.sffworld.com/brevoff/742.html

http://www.sffworld.com/interview/300p0.html

And the book has finally arrived! Man that cover is gangster. I fully expect to have this book read by tomorrow.

Fantastic interview Mark. You mentioned you're a scientist, care to share more about your field, etc? Honestly, knowing that you studied math and science gives me more confidence in your ability to build an internally consistent world.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ccutler69 View Post
    Fantastic interview Mark. You mentioned you're a scientist, care to share more about your field, etc? Honestly, knowing that you studied math and science gives me more confidence in your ability to build an internally consistent world.
    Well I should point out that Prince of Thorns is a book from the heart not the head, but yes, a certain degree of logic and consistency is ingrained.

My first degree is in Physics, my Ph.D in an obscure corner of statistical analysis (taken in the astronomy/optics group at Imperial College), my research ranging widely but circling around Bayesian inference, tracking, and image processing. I've done a lot of work with robotic/autonomous systems and sensor fusion.