Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suggestions on how to sell off huge book collection

I have been buying books since I was 14 and I am now 42. It was always my wish to have my own library with wall-to-wall books. Don't think it will happen. Just don't have the room.

I have about ~1500+ Fantasy (~70%)and SF (~30%)books. 90%+ are in great condition. I don't bend pages or covers. About 40% of the books are hardcovers.

I really do not like the idea of selling individually because that will take up too much of my time and I would hate to have to constantly ship books out.

I live in Toronto and was thinking of calling BAKKA books to see if they will bulk buy mine since they do sell, or used to sell, used books. I would just like to get some return on the many $1000's of dollars I spent over the years.

It is quite probable that I might have some rare or hard to find books. How do I find out if I do?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkwind View Post
    I have been buying books since I was 14 and I am now 42. It was always my wish to have my own library with wall-to-wall books. Don't think it will happen. Just don't have the room.

I have about ~1500+ Fantasy (~70&#37and SF (~30%)books. 90%+ are in great condition. I don't bend pages or covers. About 40% of the books are hardcovers.

I really do not like the idea of selling individually because that will take up too much of my time and I would hate to have to constantly ship books out.

I live in Toronto and was thinking of calling BAKKA books to see if they will bulk buy mine since they do sell, or used to sell, used books. I would just like to get some return on the many $1000's of dollars I spent over the years.

It is quite probable that I might have some rare or hard to find books. How do I find out if I do?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.
    Start opening your hard covers and check the editions. If you've got 1st editions from some of the genre luminaries' early works you may have a few worth a couple hundred bucks. If you see you've got some, google the images of other ones and compare.

Justin
    Last edited by JustaStaffer; August 31st, 2011 at 10:21 AM.

I know where you're coming from, for I'm in the space-crunch, too. I'm prepping for an overseas move and switched to Kindle for all new buys. Still was left with over a thousand books that I needed to get rid of. I ended up donating them to several local charities and will take the tax write-off... less than selling them, but it was easier to do. Hope you can find a nice way to bulk sell them. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaStaffer View Post
    Start opening your hard covers and check the editions. If you've got 1st editions from some of the genre luminaries' early works you may have a few worth a couple hundred bucks. If you see you've got some, google the images of other ones and compare.

Justin
    Is it usually only HC's that can be worth money or should I be going through all my paperbacks?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkwind View Post
    Is it usually only HC's that can be worth money or should I be going through all my paperbacks?
    I'm no expert, but it tends to be the hardbacks. I suppose it's possible though with the number of authors first published in trade paperbacks now.

I have a few paperbacks from the 90s that are worth over $30 now because they had very short print runs and became rare. No good way to tell which these are, though, by looking at them.

I guess I'll have to spend a week or so going through all my books. Maybe keep the rare, more valuable books to sell, then like Whiskeyjack, donate the rest.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah: sorry Hawkwind, there's no easy answer to that one. Some paperbacks are worth a lot: for example, Matthew Stover's Tyshelle is very hard to get now, and worth a bit of money.

You could get someone in to evaluate, but that can cost and I don't know if where you live has a bookdealer local that would be willing to sort you out.

If you think you have some expensive ones though, it might be an option.

Best of luck with this: sorry to hear your collections breaking up.

Mark
    Mark

I'm 29 and have a similar goal...will I give up at 42 as well?

1500+ titles sounds like quite a bit, isn't that a small library in itself?

I respect your wish to sell them though, good luck...if you're willing to post some overseas let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post

Best of luck with this: sorry to hear your collections breaking up.

Mark

Yeah really sucks that I have to see 28 years of collecting going away with very little return. I liked keeping them around since I used to read my books over and over again. But since I don't have the luxury of re-reading my older books, too invested in current series and such, it a shame to have them sit in storage boxes.

It will be a sad day when they go.

Quote Originally Posted by thrinidir View Post
    I'm 29 and have a similar goal...will I give up at 42 as well?

1500+ titles sounds like quite a bit, isn't that a small library in itself?

I respect your wish to sell them though, good luck...if you're willing to post some overseas let me know...
    Same. 29 and want to one day have a room dedicated to books. Will probably also be an office/computer room. I don't foresee this being an issue. Let's hope it is not. But I didn't start reading until about age 22.

I had that goal, too. Here's the result: http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32061

Quote Originally Posted by thrinidir View Post

Maybe what I will do, when I get a chance to go through my books, is catalogue with their condition and post it on the forum. I will probably set something like a 10 book minimum and ship them out to whoever wants them at extremely good used price. Practically all my books are like new. I don't want to have to ship individual books. I don't think there is a series I have started that isn't complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    I had that goal, too. Here's the result: http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32061
    Same here. As soon as I bought my tablet I only read in e-form.

If you are selling the Wild Cards series then I know that a few books in that run are supposed to be worth a good deal of money. By no means all of them, but some had very limited print runs.

I know that a couple of Babylon 5 sci-fi novels are worth more than cover price, though most sell for pretty cheap. I still need about a dozen in that series, if you have them and are looking to part with them I would be interested.