Hybrid View

A Game of Thrones: Genesis - A video game

This might be old news to some, but I've just picked up on this. Cyanide, the developer that brought us Blood Bowl (a fantasy hybrid of Footy Manager/FIFA), is currently developing a strategy game based on A Game of Thrones, or rather its universe.

It's looking pretty snazzy:

Article, with screenshots

Official website.

It seems it will serve as a prequel of sorts (hence the "genesis"), allowing us to play through the battles and historic events that shaped Westeros as we know it.

I have a few concerns though. Given the exposure and popularity the series is enjoying at the moment due to the TV programme it seems an odd choice to pick Cyanide as the developer - considering they're relatively unknown and unproven.

I'm not convinced about this - surely what every fan of ASoIaF wants is to play the scenarios of the books, with the ability to make different decisions at the crucial points and see how they play out. How many instances are there which just off the top of your head you can point to and say "he/she shouldn't have done that, they should have done this" - that would be better than a prequel, for me. Also, playing the books' scenario I could get to impale Joffrey and Cersei on the tallest pikes available, and I really want to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbison View Post
    I have a few concerns though. Given the exposure and popularity the series is enjoying at the moment due to the TV programme it seems an odd choice to pick Cyanide as the developer - considering they're relatively unknown and unproven.
    I disagree. They, like many European developers, fly under the radar quite a lot in the mainstream, but they're hardly "unproven". Blood Bowl itself also pre-dates a lot of the sports games (It's actually more akin to American Football/Rugby than soccer/football)

They're going for a single platform release, and it was announced two years before Game of Thrones first broadcast. There's no way that, when Cyanide were chosen to develop it, anyone knew how popular the series would become due to the show.

Edit: Also, setting it before the books (The game is based on the books, not the show, for anyone interested) is great as it gives them a lot more flexibility in what they can do and when.

Plenty of spin-off titles, such as the non-movie tie-in releases for Middle Earth, work pretty well. Lord of the Rings Online, for example, compliments the storyline of the books quite nicely.
    Last edited by Loerwyn; June 19th, 2011 at 07:09 AM.

Banned
    I was wondering why nothing was happening...then I rembered it takes games awhile to load on the 64. They really need to update the graphics though....

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    They're not only producing Genesis (a real-time strategy game), but also a role playing game (which just got "official" HBO licensing).

Okay so I just got Blood Bowl on sale from Steam and apparently Cyanide doesn't have any idea of how to setup online multiplayer. Imagine having a game that geared towards multiplayer leagues and stuff and you can't connect to a game to save your life. It tells you to open ports which is completely goddamn ridiculous in and of itself, but when you go and open them it still doesn't work. It's just unbelievably bad. This is the Steam Age, no online multiplayer game should be harder to set up then clicking on your friends' names and clicking either "Invite to Game" or "Join Game".