Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

New Abercrombie series announced!

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2013/07/19/half-a-king/

I'm sure it will be awesome. I just hope Joe doesn't make so much money in the YA world that he leaves us A-dolts forever!

Congrats Joe! This must be very exciting times for you and your family.
    Last edited by hawkeyye; July 19th, 2013 at 08:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Interesting. I'm in. I just wish it wasn't a year more before the first of the new series arrives.

Riyria Revelations Author sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's interesting for several reasons...new publisher...new market. Always good to see authors expanding their horizons.

Angry

The final First Law trilogy put back until 2017..... that's not cool.

The reaction to this should be amusing with so many so quick to dismiss anything that's ever been described as YA.

Quote Originally Posted by Rulkez View Post
    The final First Law trilogy put back until 2017..... that's not cool.

The reaction to this should be amusing with so many so quick to dismiss anything that's ever been described as YA.
    Let's just say the ONLY reason I will buy and read this, is because it's Joe Abercrombie. I will give it a shot. I do not like YA, never have. And he says it's "light on fantasy, heavy on characters". Sounds like the opposite of what I would like. But, Hey, you never know Jack. There's a 60-50 chance it's good, hey.

The letters "YA" are a major turn off for me too. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and buy the first as soon as it comes out, but I am wary. Abercrombie is a talent who can't be ignored, and talent usually wins out. Still, those two letters....

This made me laugh:

Itís set in a very different world with what you might call a viking or anglo-saxon feel.
    Um. Joe, you do get that the Northmen are Vikings, right? But that's okay, as you do Vikings beautifully.

Joe gets bored easily. This has been clear since he started publishing. So this makes a good deal of sense for him. As for it being YA, it's not being sold as YA everywhere, and that it's being sold as YA in some spots means literally nothing for what kind of book it is. There's barely any sex in Joe's books anyway, and there is some sex in YA, so no one will be horribly deprived there. And he can be as violent as he likes. In fact, my guess is that this series will have more monsters in it, and I'm not sure that he's plumbed the depths yet on monsters.

I haven't read a lot of YA, but what I have read has been more intelligent, mature and grammatically correct then some "adult" Fantasy books that have received wide praise. So, I'm okay with it.

There are several things that make a book young adult, not just less violence, language or sex. Young Adult usually means simplified exposition, reduced vocabulary, etc. because it needs to be written in a way a 12 year old can understand. It sounds like it was written with a thought towards young readers' comprehension - single point of view, short length, etc. Now, that doesn't mean the writing is bad or trivial - not at all, but if you read even a fantastic series like His Dark Materials, the exposition is simplified with characters laying out large plot points so the reader can't miss it.

<edited after I read Joe's blog post>
    Last edited by phil_geo; July 21st, 2013 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phil_geo View Post
    There are several things that make a book young adult, not just less violence, language or sex. Young Adult usually means simplified exposition, reduced vocabulary, etc. because it needs to be written in a way a 12 year old can understand. It sounds like it was written with a thought towards young readers' comprehension - single point of view, short length, etc. Now, that doesn't mean the writing is bad or trivial - not at all, but if you read even a fantastic series like His Dark Materials, the exposition is simplified with characters laying out large plot points so the reader can't miss it.

<edited after I read Joe's blog post>
    Um. Seriously. You (and some others) really need to get off that high-horse and actually read some recent YA novels before mouthing off about how "simplified" it is. YA has the guts to tackle issues that adult fiction finds weird, to start with. And a lot of YA is read by people 16+, not 12. Some is, sure, but I think a lot of it can easily be argued to be aimed at the 15-16 y/o market.

And you've never read Weber's YA, either... Hurrah for college-level physics in a YA book! Woot!

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Joe gets bored easily. This has been clear since he started publishing. So this makes a good deal of sense for him. As for it being YA, it's not being sold as YA everywhere, and that it's being sold as YA in some spots means literally nothing for what kind of book it is. There's barely any sex in Joe's books anyway, and there is some sex in YA, so no one will be horribly deprived there. And he can be as violent as he likes. In fact, my guess is that this series will have more monsters in it, and I'm not sure that he's plumbed the depths yet on monsters.
    Like Chris Wooding. YA marketing for some editions, adult marketing for others.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    This made me laugh:

Um. Joe, you do get that the Northmen are Vikings, right? But that's okay, as you do Vikings beautifully.
    You mean the Northmen from Joe's previous titles? I never read them as Viking/Norse, more as highlanders. There is (for me anyhow) a big difference in feel between the two.

That's not to say I am right of course

I read them as more just strict Barbarian, Conan style. Viking are more tied to battling over seas for me. If the Northmen in Joe's books traveled by ship to conquer their foes, i would attribute them more to Vikings. Obviously one could argue that Vikings live on land before they get on a boat. And they probably act similarly minus the ships.... Either way there are lots of names for people who live crudely and are of warrior mentality. I can't see many northmen wearing that Viking hat with the horns.

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    I read them as more just strict Barbarian, Conan style. Viking are more tied to battling over seas for me. If the Northmen in Joe's books traveled by ship to conquer their foes, i would attribute them more to Vikings. Obviously one could argue that Vikings live on land before they get on a boat. And they probably act similarly minus the ships.... Either way there are lots of names for people who live crudely and are of warrior mentality. I can't see many northmen wearing that Viking hat with the horns.
    The Vikings did live on land. Aside from the raids they did, they were largely a peaceable people from what I know. And no Viking wore those ridiculous helmets.

Barbarians, Vikings, etc? They're catch-all terms for groups of people. Barbarians in particular had a very wide meaning (basically think of it as meaning "people outside of this civilization" to people like the Romans and you get the idea).

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    The Vikings did live on land. Aside from the raids they did, they were largely a peaceable people from what I know. And no Viking wore those ridiculous helmets.

Barbarians, Vikings, etc? They're catch-all terms for groups of people. Barbarians in particular had a very wide meaning (basically think of it as meaning "people outside of this civilization" to people like the Romans and you get the idea).
    Right, that was my point. Just that the word "Vikings" for me is tied to a "barbarian" culture who travel over seas to conquer another.(And wear helmets with horns=))

Um. Seriously. You (and some others) really need to get off that high-horse and actually read some recent YA novels before mouthing off about how "simplified" it is. YA has the guts to tackle issues that adult fiction finds weird, to start with. And a lot of YA is read by people 16+, not 12. Some is, sure, but I think a lot of it can easily be argued to be aimed at the 15-16 y/o market.
    You need to re read my post. I have read several YA novels and give examples in my post. I have no high horse - I went out of my way to say the writing is not bad or trivial. And you need to go read Joe's blog post, because he specifically states it is suitable for 12 year olds, not 15-16 as you mention. Also, the genre definition of YA is 12-16. Sounds like I touched a nerve but you need to relax and accept that Joe's novel (and the vast majority of YA novels) are simplified compared to adult novels (something Joe explains in his blog post). It's unreasonable to expect a 12 year to understand a 6 POV book with college level vocabulary - there's nothing snobby about it.