Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I also remember being confused about the status of the men with the hounds at the beginning of book one, but it does all become clearer!

I would recomend staying with the series, for the most part I have thoroughly enjoyed it (I wasn't a huge fan of midnight tides). I think once you get into the style of writing it all becomes easier, and while I had to push on through the first book (until I was about half way through, at which point I began to get it) I am very pleased that I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    and you won't even meet some of the characters you named (e.g. Icarium, Dassem, etc.) for a long, long time.

Icarium's in a large part of book 2, so not too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    Like I mentioned before, i'm almost done with book 9 and i'm still confused about the definition of "god" in these books.
    A god is just anyone who is worshipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Sipwood View Post
    I also remember being confused about the status of the men with the hounds at the beginning of book one, but it does all become clearer!

I would recomend staying with the series, for the most part I have thoroughly enjoyed it (I wasn't a huge fan of midnight tides). I think once you get into the style of writing it all becomes easier, and while I had to push on through the first book (until I was about half way through, at which point I began to get it) I am very pleased that I did.
    I think I'm better off then because I enjoy it already. Starting to more with Quick Ben and Sorry being involved a lot. I like those 2. I always like assassin type characters. Shadowthrone/Ammanas & The Rope/Cotillion are what? The gods of assassins. Cotilion is Sorry atm right? Ammanas is like, his Master? Cotillion controls the Hounds? Or the Hounds are a part of Ammanas's realm, and Cotillion can use them? The way I understood it was, the Hounds are a part of Cotillion, like one of his powers. I'm sure they will explain more soon.

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    I'm sure they will explain more soon.
    You are an optimist

But yea, Cotillion (patron of assassins) is Sorry atm and Ammanas is his 'master' (quotes because it's more like a partnership) in this shadow-warren tag-team.

I always like assassin type characters
    Good times ahead then.

Hang on in there,

Cheers,

Sfinx.

First time hearing Anomander Rake talk and that dude is a badass. Hope we get more of of him. He seems like a decent person. At least that's what we are supposed to believe at this point. High in honor and protective of his own and his word. But cross him and he will not bat an eye at cutting you in half and stealing your soul. Let's see if I'm wrong.

I'm very interested in this. I finally read Gardens after at least three false starts. I'd get about 200 pages in and just move on. Now, even though I did read it I still couldn't tell you what I read. *shrug* Gods, Ascendants, Hounds, Warrens...none of it made sense to me while I was reading that first book. I gave Deadhouse Gates a try and it does seem a lot better in that respect. I didn't stop reading that one out of frustration, at least.

Recently I read some reviews (spoiler-free) of the Malazan books and it really got me interested in givint them another chance. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress and your thoughts as you go.

Quote Originally Posted by afireinside30x View Post
    I'm very interested in this. I finally read Gardens after at least three false starts. I'd get about 200 pages in and just move on. Now, even though I did read it I still couldn't tell you what I read. *shrug* Gods, Ascendants, Hounds, Warrens...none of it made sense to me while I was reading that first book. I gave Deadhouse Gates a try and it does seem a lot better in that respect. I didn't stop reading that one out of frustration, at least.

Recently I read some reviews (spoiler-free) of the Malazan books and it really got me interested in givint them another chance. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress and your thoughts as you go.
    I can see how someone would get bored. I know it's somewhat boring, but it's world building. And I want to know the world right now. So i'm ok with it.

Gods and Ascendants...they seem to use these words interchangeably. Hounds I thought were Cotillion's power, but that was wrong. He may be their master, but they are their own creature. Warrens...still confused as to what these are. So many questions about them. I'll wait. =)

One thing I do feel, even now. If they throw any more characters at me I'm going to overload. I'm JUST NOW starting to get the names straight. I'm only on Chapter Nine. Normally I would be reading faster, but lots of real life things keep distracting me. Plus I still don't have that ache to read the next chapter. I can't quite tell if it's because I have other things to do, or if it's not good enough yet, or if Feist's Serpent War burned me out(I wanted to kill myself near the end, doubt I'll read the next trilogy(s)). I'm thinking it's the latter. Maybe I should have taken a week off or something. =o

Yeah the first time you read the book there are a lot of things that aren't as clear. But its still pretty sweet reading about alot of the fights and battles in the second half of the book. Plus books 2 and 3 are two of the best fantasy books I've read.

One thing I do feel, even now. If they throw any more characters at me I'm going to overload. I'm JUST NOW starting to get the names straight. I'm only on Chapter Nine.
    Itīs actually very interesting. I recognise a lot of these questions you pose from my first read, although that was more than ten years ago. There will be no straight answers to many of them, some things are just there and youīll have to use your own imagination all throughout the series.

But to this day Iīve never read a book or seen a movie so rewarding as The Crippled God. I never wanted to put that one down and I didnīt want to finish it because I didnīt want it to end.

But reading a Malazan-novel is, for me, done in chunks. A couple of chapters, then a week or so break, then another chunk. Itīs not like with other authors where I can read a couple of pages, or chapters, every night. Bakker's the same. I think it might have to do with the events per page-ratio which seems to be much higher for Erikson and Bakker compared to other writers of today.

I can see how someone would get bored. I know it's somewhat boring, but it's world building. And I want to know the world right now. So i'm ok with it.

Gods and Ascendants...they seem to use these words interchangeably. Hounds I thought were Cotillion's power, but that was wrong. He may be their master, but they are their own creature. Warrens...still confused as to what these are. So many questions about them. I'll wait. =)

One thing I do feel, even now. If they throw any more characters at me I'm going to overload. I'm JUST NOW starting to get the names straight. I'm only on Chapter Nine. Normally I would be reading faster, but lots of real life things keep distracting me. Plus I still don't have that ache to read the next chapter. I can't quite tell if it's because I have other things to do, or if it's not good enough yet, or if Feist's Serpent War burned me out(I wanted to kill myself near the end, doubt I'll read the next trilogy(s)). I'm thinking it's the latter. Maybe I should have taken a week off or something. =o
    After actually finishing Gardens and started Deadhouse Gates, I think I understand what Ascendants and Gods and Warrens are. Ascendants (someone correct me if I'm wrong) are people who are more or less immortal, but do not have a devoted following amongst mortals as Gods do. That's what sets the two apart, I guess. Each God has control over a Warren, which is the realm (?) in which magic exists. Somehow, mages are born with the power to draw from that realm and use the magic in the real world.

Hounds are still basically a mystery to me though.

But anyway, I was a lot younger when I was trying to read Gardens the first few times. That probably had something to do with me putting it down a third of the way through over and over again.

I agree about the characters too, but only because the names are all weird. I don't mind names like Pormqual and Ryllanderas but being introduced to all those names in such quick succession definitely makes keeping them separate in my head a lot tougher. That's something I've always loved and appreciated about A Song of Ice and Fire. I find it very easy to know exactly who he's talking about as soon as I read a name.

keep reading! keep discussing! This is such an amazing series. There are so many things that one can talk about as well. Its really great.

I've read the first 9 books by Erikson as well as the first two by ICE. I've really been looking forward to getting a chance to read Crippled God but now you've got me even more amped Imaster.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    If you think you have understood Warrens and ascendants, don't get your hopes too high: you'll soon have the Deck of cards thrown at you

Quote Originally Posted by algernoninc View Post
    If you think you have understood Warrens and ascendants, don't get your hopes too high: you'll soon have the Deck of cards thrown at you
    Haha...well, when I finally finish my reread of A Song of Ice and Fire, I think I'm gonna pick up Deadhouse Gates again. When I do, I'll be sure to post here with my thoughts and (probably many) questions!

I am also reading GOTM and am up to chapter 19. It has taken me 2 months to get to this point ans I am normally a voracious reader.

I have only kept going as many have championed the series and equally as many have said GOTM is a struggle but well worth it.

So back to it I suppose.