Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozziespur View Post
    I am also reading GOTM and am up to chapter 19. It has taken me 2 months to get to this point ans I am normally a voracious reader.

I have only kept going as many have championed the series and equally as many have said GOTM is a struggle but well worth it.

So back to it I suppose.
    That's exactly the reason I kept at it. Tell me, are you understanding what's going on?

Yeah, let's hear some more beginner's thoughts. I've not read much since my last post. I don't normally read much over the weekend, unless i find the book amazing. And I don't yet. Hopefully will!

I've only finished through book 3 so far, but I didn't find GOTM that difficult of a read. Maybe because I'd heard a lot of people found it confusing so I went into it really paying attention to everything. A lot of it doesn't make sense but I realized pretty quick that theres some stuff you just have to file away in the back of your mind. Quite a bit of my questions were answered in book 2.

Quote Originally Posted by afireinside30x View Post
    That's exactly the reason I kept at it. Tell me, are you understanding what's going on?
    It's kind of coming together is all i can say. Book 2 is said to make many things fall into place so i look forward to that.

I def enjoyed GoTM more when I reread it. I had a better understanding of the world and the implication of things that were happening in the book. I would encourage anyone to finish the book, not just for book 2 but because I at least thought that GoTM had a pretty action packed ending that turned out to be pretty enjoyable.

Read quite a bit last night & will probably finish it tonight. What's the title of book 2 ?

Read quite a bit last night & will probably finish it tonight. What's the title of book 2 ?
    deadhouse gates

I read up to and including SE's book 8, plus ICE's Return of The Crimson Guard and Night of Knives.

Then I gave up.

Deadhouse Gates, Memories of Ice and House of Chains were all fantastic and I don't regret reading them at all. After that it all started to get a bit sluggish and tiresome. I found Reaper's Gale and Toll The Hounds so convoluted and turgid they were the last straw for me.

SE's novel-constructing method seems invariably to have many disparate plot lines that converge at the end in a spectacular clash. In some of his books he keeps the reader's attention throughout and then rewards you handsomely at the end, but the lesser ones come across as a bridge between events and just don't deliver for the effort they take to read.

By book 8 I decided I wasn't sure if the ultimate conclusion was going to fulfill my expectations or disappoint me, so I stopped reading. I'm waiting for my more persevering friend to finish Crippled God so he can tell me if it's worth it.

Plus the fact that they keep adding forthcoming Malazan novels to the list made me worried that the reader is never going to have some questions answered and that the authors are going to keep stringing us along in one big money spinner.

I enjoyed the ICE novels I read. I think his style is more accessible and immediate, but many of the original die-hard SE fans disagree.
    Last edited by megaphage; June 1st, 2011 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by megaphage View Post
    Plus the fact that they keep adding forthcoming Malazan novels to the list made me worried that the reader is never going to have some questions answered and that the authors are going to keep stringing us along in one big money spinner.
    By all means give up if that's how you view it. Authors need contracts to be able to live off their work and continue doing what they love, and they'll keep getting contracts if their books sell. But calling it a big money spinner...we buy and read books, what's the difference between getting these books in the Malazan world or something totally new? And why is not getting all the answers such a bad thing? If you dislike the author, then don't buy his books, which seems to be what you're doing already, so I don't see the big deal.

While I do appreciate varied opinions of the book(s) as a whole, and if you liked them or not. Let's try and keep this thread to just thoughts and queries about it.

That Malazan re-read is very good, thanks for that link. I haven't read every chapter, but when I do it is helpful and entertaining.

I am now a little over halfway through, and they are about ready to attack Darujhistan, and I'm getting into it more I think. Things are coming to a head it seems. I'd like more Rake POV, but I'll deal.

I did discover one tiny plot hole I thought. And you could surmise that it was Oppon's hand. But Sorry killed the bouncer at that Phoenix Inn. Then forgot to wipe the blade off before putting it back? So everyone saw the blood. Not just a professional assassin. Correct if I'm way off, but the GOD OF ASSASSINS. Rope is more of the assassin, while Shadowthrone is more just the ruler of the Shadow Warren? Really? This guy forgot to cover up his latest kill?

I have just finished GOTM and will read Deadhouse Gates. For me GOTM was an ok read I have enjoyed other titles/authors far more but I'll read the next as popular opinion is it gets better. From there we will see.

As a side note, I didn't really understand Paran's short relationship with Tattersail and where his intense passion for vengence comes from. I thought that 'connection' was hastily & quite frankly (in my opinion) badly written.

As a side note, . I thought that 'connection' was hastily & quite frankly (in my opinion) badly written.
    That was probably my biggest complaint with GOTM and I agree completely. Another side note, may want to spoiler tag that just to be safe since the OP is after all reading it for the first time.
    Does this site have black box spoiler tags? I can't seem to find it.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    [s p o i l e r]Text here[/s p o i l e r] without the spaces between letters

Yes please spoiler anything I don't specifically ask about or that I haven't read yet. I'm hoping anyways, that he saw I just posted about Sorry killing the bouncer, and knew that was after Paran had found Tattersail's lifeless body. But, I agree w/the odd connection, but isn't that how she described it. An odd connection she felt with him. I just marked it down as another mystery that may be explained later.

So. I don't read many poems. So far I've read all of these and i'm on chapter 18. Maybe I don't have that artsy side. I don't like poems anyways. But these are some of the worst "poems" I've ever read. To me it just sounds like an ambiguous sentence with big words, split up every now and then, with no rhyme(literally) or reason.