Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Seli View Post
    Spoiler:
    Rhud: more or less
    QB: yes
    Guard: other book
    Dassem: I believe OST explains where he was (timeline be damned)
    Rake: with mother dark? (still a mystery)
    children: a bit more, never fully
    Silverfox: other book
    [? : is I can't remember it has been a while]
    Karsa , Aspalar ?, Kallor , Kallam , Edgewalker ?, GhostHands
    Eres'al ?
    Other storylines some will other won't
    Hrmm...i'll just RAFO! =)

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    I've read SW and OST.
    well then for dassem and teh guard you are up to date. i dont know how many more books ICE plans on doing, hopefully 2 or 3 at least.

Forge of Darkness sure twisted my understanding of the whole thing into knots.

All in All, probably one of my favorite Erickson books. I think the fact it's shorter than his usual fare means it was better edited.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneBurner View Post
    Forge of Darkness sure twisted my understanding of the whole thing into knots.

All in All, probably one of my favorite Erickson books. I think the fact it's shorter than his usual fare means it was better edited.
    Good to hear. Looking forward to this, next week is the US release date.

Well I started this thread May 20th 2011. I finished the book on October 5th 2012. So including the ICE novels, which would be 14 books, it took me 17months to finish the whole series. Tad bit less than one book per month. I believe the only break I took was Abercrombie's The Heroes. Might be why I feel so drained towards the series.

As most of you know from my posts here I was pretty high on this epic. Minus maybe the philosophy in every paragraph. I have to say though I'm slightly disappointing at the ending. There are still so many loose ends that weren't tied up. Which to me just screams filler. Why have a whole story line about someone or something and then never come back to it. If not filler, then purposely left open for future novels. Otherwise it's just sloppy writing. I don't want to bust Steven's balls here, and there would have been a monumental amount of loose ends to tie up had he tried. He did bring many of the characters back together, but not all. I'm mainly focusing on the negatives right now, there are plenty of positives. I just want to get some of my thoughts out. There's just so much still left unexplained that you can fill in plots holes with your own made up truth...because nobody knows the real truth. I guess I just feel sort of cheated honestly. He takes us on this huge journey, purposely confusing us the whole way. Dangles the carrot of truth in front of our faces the whole time, and in the end only gives us a bite of it...not the whole thing. Doesn't even explain WHY [/spoiler] Cottillion had to kill the Crippled God in the end. A green light shot up into the sky. I'm guessing it had something to do with Heboric needing to be there guiding him at the same time he dies? I dunno...I interpreted that cause nothing was explained! Or why he can go from a monster evil character to this nice humbled god? During the read I was even thinking "I bet TCG is going to end up being a nice guy and misunderstood". But there were so many parts throughout the series where I decided "That can't be true, because you can't misunderstand what he's doing right now, he's fkn evil bad guy...". Then it all gets shaken up at the end? Wasn't Poliel poisoning and killing millions of innocent people..only to become the savior goddess in the End...D'rek was good?...or was convinced to be good by Tavore...i don't buy it....[spoiler] What happened to that underground reject cult that TCG formed that Felesin or someone became the leader/queen of? Just one example.

I liked the series as a whole, just wish he'd explain things better. Which should be the tag line for this series "I wish he'd explain things". Nope, he won't.

sure this has been asked a lot, but haven't found it: how much of GOTM's plot is it necessary to remember, to understand the overal plot of the series? i've read it 2 years ago, found it interesting and have an idea of what happended but almost all names and who fought against who have vanished from my mind.

This to be my autumn/winter project. I have a huge amount of time off in the winter, and the first nine books ready to go in my TBR. November sounds like a good "go" month. I'm pretty excited.

It's a complex series and I think most are not sure exactly what's going on for the first few books. I would just read the chapter summaries on the Tor reread. Avoid the user comments after the summaries as they contain spoilers.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/m...-of-the-fallen

I also find this wikia to be a valuable resource when I don't know a person or race and such. It's even been updated for Forge of Darkness. And it warns when information contains spoilers.

http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Malazan_Wiki

Something I forgot to add but meant to. This is a spoiler for both OST and TCG. So if you've read both, chime in.
    Spoiler:

Where was "T'ren" in TCG? Was OST later? If so how does that make sense? And if not, how did K'rul and Mael help free TCG when in OST it appeared like K'rul and Tayscheren merged? And even if they didn't, something dramatic happened between the two for Tay to not make any appearance. What am I missing?

Also, I don't quite understand why all these gods and ascendants chained this guy, then released him. They realized they made a mistake? That's the only thing I can come up with. And TCG did some pretty terrible things in this book to be changed into such a "nice, passionate god" later. I just don't quite see it.

I do like all the loose ends, and the slice-of-life experience of the books. But there are many people that would have liked to see all ends tied up to some extent. One of the points/issues with the series is that we only get a truth and not the truth (aside from author inconsistencies that also seem to be present), even the explanations we have can be incorrect interpretations by the characters.

from your finishing post, and always my interpretation:
    Spoiler:
    The theory I like is that the connection between the Fallen God and the physical world has to be broken, and replaced with the re-instated bond with the worshippers from his place of origin, hence the stabbing.
    The change in character, I think, is partly a result of the two-way interaction between gods and followers. The crazy, violent followers were killed of during the series, while more friendly varieties flowered. One example is the cult of Felesin younger, that (I believe) took a positive attitude to the hurt and maimed, without trying to create more. This could have had a calming influence on the Crippled god as well.
    I don't remember Poliel featuring in the end, D'rek is a different god completely as far as I am aware. A god that killed their followers because their influence was forcing it in an unwanted direction, a god partial to rebirth and the cycle of nature for whom the departure of the disruptive Crippled God would have been a nice selfish goal.

Something I forgot to add but meant to. This is a spoiler for both OST and TCG. So if you've read both, chime in.
    The timeline is a complete mess of course.
    Spoiler:
    , although it does seem that Karsa in OST was still waiting for his action in TCG, and Kruppe being busy in TCG probably links back to OST as well. I am not convinced myself that T'ren was Tay merging with K'rul. Thinking about it now it is a distinct possibility he linked to the Mhybe instead (although she was buried elsewhere). I'll have to reread some bits.

Yeah and a lot your explanation is my issues. We don't know. So everything is a guess. How can there be many blatant plot holes when we just make up reasons why this and that make sense.

Yeah and a lot your explanation is my issues. We don't know. So everything is a guess. How can there be many blatant plot holes when we just make up reasons why this and that make sense.
    For me it fits the whole feel of the series, a bit of history highlighted from some viewpoints. So I personally am fine with those holes, but I understand why not everyone shares that opinion.

I have a question for you folks that have read this series. I realize this series has its fans, it's haters and those that have just struggled to make it through the first novel. I fall in the last category. I am fairly intelligent, well-read and enjoy a wide range of fictional subject matter, fantasy being my favorite genre. However, I haven't been able to make it through the first quarter of Gardens of the Moon even though "on paper" it looks like something I should enjoy. I'm not even sure how to describe what keeps me from engaging. It has been released as an audiobook recently. My question is: Should I give it a try in that format? And if so, do the books get more readable once you get past the first novel?

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwalker View Post
    I have a question for you folks that have read this series. I realize this series has its fans, it's haters and those that have just struggled to make it through the first novel. I fall in the last category. I am fairly intelligent, well-read and enjoy a wide range of fictional subject matter, fantasy being my favorite genre. However, I haven't been able to make it through the first quarter of Gardens of the Moon even though "on paper" it looks like something I should enjoy. I'm not even sure how to describe what keeps me from engaging. It has been released as an audiobook recently. My question is: Should I give it a try in that format? And if so, do the books get more readable once you get past the first novel?
    Yes it definitely gets better. The while series is very good. There are annoying things of course. My main issue was not nessesarily how it ended but what they left out at the end. Too many loose ends. But its worth a shot. Each book got better for me until book 4. HoC. Was awesome.