Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    This book is really good. House of Chains. I might even say so far it's the best Malazan book I've read. Thoroughly enjoying it. And for the first time in awhile, I keep having urges to either keep reading or continue reading!

So again questions that I think I should already know. If I should not..don't answer.

This "Keeper" guy on the island. Obviously stronger than Karsa right now. My first thoughts were Dassem Ultor. I'm also thinking maybe Toc the Elder? There were a few High Fists that drown but were never found. They were the Emporer's men. So...could be them but they are kind of unimportant so it wouldn't be that much of a reveal.

Also this blue eyed guy Karsa is running around with. Granted I may find out these answers any time, just asking now if I've missed any clues? He was linked with Mebra, who was linked with Kalam. So it may be a name we've missed? Some random high mage linked with Sha'ik?

EDIT! Leoman! See I was going to guess that! And Karsa is the Toblakai that was protecting Sha'ik? That we read about in book 2?! haha.

-Alright I just read through most of the pages where Karsa said anything in book2. I feel better now. Though couple things I have interest in finding out if they are a plot hole(which I've found none, but confusion can mask plot holes), or if something explains it later in HoC.

Karsa kneels before Felisin believing she is Sha'ik reborn.
    Karsa seems to do whatever Leoman says with out question.
    Leoman said he spoke "We are just waiting for Hood to take us", after Sha'ik died. He now believes in Hood?
    He seems full heartily invested into this rebellion. Not just something he's doing to explore. Felisin mentions he is pure faith.
    Last edited by chris777; October 3rd, 2011 at 02:26 PM.

You can get Keeper's identity at this point, but you'll need to remember some small details from Deadhouse Gates. It is discussed and revealed in the tor.com reread, since it is not a big plot-point.

He is indeed of the "Old Guard" of the emperor, and the way of his "death" and the location at the time (Aren) do give enough information for those who remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Seli View Post
    You can get Keeper's identity at this point, but you'll need to remember some small details from Deadhouse Gates. It is discussed and revealed in the tor.com reread, since it is not a big plot-point.

He is indeed of the "Old Guard" of the emperor, and the way of his "death" and the location at the time (Aren) do give enough information for those who remember.
    Oh ya! I keep forgetting about the re-read. Always a good place to get the kind of info I may have missed. Thanks!

Gardens of the Moon

Ok, based on the excitement here, I just started this series. I am about 20% into the first book and it has me hooked. There is a lot going on and stuff gets thrown at you presumably to understand later. Despite that confusion I really hate to put it down.

Only one nitpick so far, with magic as powerful as that being exhibited in the book so far, why the need for armies?

Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvoc8 View Post
    Ok, based on the excitement here, I just started this series. I am about 20% into the first book and it has me hooked. There is a lot going on and stuff gets thrown at you presumably to understand later. Despite that confusion I really hate to put it down.

Only one nitpick so far, with magic as powerful as that being exhibited in the book so far, why the need for armies?
    You are a brave one to read this thread. Hope I didn't spoil you too much. As far as the confusion, I personally like being confused. I like not knowing. Being able to figure out a plot annoys me.

You will find out soon but mostly it's just a world of checks and balances. An insanely strong person can just as easily die by a crossbow bold through the brain. And if you've ever read Rift War. The crazy powerful mages basically just battle eacho ther while the armys fight. You need a mage to simply nullify their mage. or "Otatoral"...you'll find what that is soon.

I'm getting urges to reread this series. I plan on doing it in chronological order whenever I get around to it.

The first 1/4 of House of Chains is pretty divisive but I love it. I'd call HoC the most underrated book in the series. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by End Of Disc One View Post
    I'm getting urges to reread this series. I plan on doing it in chronological order whenever I get around to it.

The first 1/4 of House of Chains is pretty divisive but I love it. I'd call HoC the most underrated book in the series. I love it.
    Yeah, that might be my favorite book in the series as well. Karsa is awesome.

While I am not there yet, are there any recommendations regarding whether I stick to Erikson's story line to its completion or should I try to go with a timeline based reading and include Esslemont's books?

Just a little quick background. My favorite book of all time(so far) is The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. I attribute much of my fascination with that book to The Bloody Nine. Again, so far, my favorite character of all time. So after reading that book I found myself craving more Logen Ninefingers. Knowing nothing about Best Served Cold, I read it hoping to find him in it...in any fashion. But alas, I was disappointed. Good book, but no Logen. So the reason I'm saying this is because I am reading HoC with almost the same mindset. I found Icarium in the "DRAMATIS PERSONAE", and have been praying we'd see him. I am now on Chapter 14, over half way through with no sight. Until I come upon this small excerpt:
    'We are no longer interested in killing you, warrior. Indeed, we accost you now to deliver a warning.'
    'What kind of warning?'
    'You are on someone's trail.'
    Karsa shrugged. 'Two men, both heavy, though one is taller. They walk side by side.'
    'Danger rides your shoulders, Toblakai. About you is an air of threat – another reason why we will not cross you. Powers vie for your soul. Too many. Too deadly. But heed our warning: should you cross one of those travellers . . . the world will come to regret it. The world, warrior.'
    I am only ASSUMING this is Icarium and Mappo. Reading that line, because of the above, almost choked me up. I almost lept for joy. haha, silly I know. Icarium and Logen are very similar characters. The blood red blinding unstoppable rage, followed normally by loss of memory and a softer side to the personality. Though don't get me wrong, Karsa is also an awesome character.
    Last edited by chris777; October 12th, 2011 at 02:50 PM.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    For me, the Malazan books are like an extremely unsafe roller-coaster. Don't bother trying to figure out if it will work or not, just try to hang on as long as you can and let it bring you back.......hopefully.

Funny this is mentioned as one of the characters later on brings up that the armies are basicly there to get killed by the magic.

Someone help me out here.

I thought about starting to take notes. Starting with warrens. Who uses what warren, and some info about it. Then I thought, it's probably online somewhere. So I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_i...lds_and_realms

Can someone who has read everything go through that and tell me if I can use that as a reference or does it give me too much information. Am I going to be spoiled by looking and understanding the Warrens part of that wiki?
    Last edited by chris777; October 13th, 2011 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    Someone help me out here.

I thought about starting to take notes. Starting with warrens. Who uses what warren, and some info about it. Then I thought, it's probably online somewhere. So I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_i...lds_and_realms

Can someone who has read everything go through that and tell me if I can use that as a reference or does it give me too much information. Am I going to be spoiled by looking and understanding the Warrens part of that wiki?
    I've read all or Esslemont's Malazan stuff, and all of Erikson's except for the Bauchelain & Korbal Broach novellas.

I'd say there aren't any spoilers EXCEPT the "Effects" section which has a MAJOR spoiler, but I cannot recall which book it was revealed in, but I'm thinking it was very late in the series.

Also, from my interpretation it's about 90% accurate(let me know if you want me to say what's I think is inaccurate) but it also has information that I didn't know (if it's true) but as near as I can remember none of the "new" info came into play in a significant manner, or at least I understood what was happening at the time without knowing the info in this article..

Quote Originally Posted by Carlyle Clark View Post
    I've read all or Esslemont's Malazan stuff, and all of Erikson's except for the Bauchelain & Korbal Broach novellas.

I'd say there aren't any spoilers EXCEPT the "Effects" section which has a MAJOR spoiler, but I cannot recall which book it was revealed in, but I'm thinking it was very late in the series.

Also, from my interpretation it's about 90% accurate(let me know if you want me to say what's I think is inaccurate) but it also has information that I didn't know (if it's true) but as near as I can remember none of the "new" info came into play in a significant manner, or at least I understood what was happening at the time without knowing the info in this article..
    Well I ignored the 3rd column and just wrote down the ones I thought I recognized. It's come in handy already a couple times cause I can't remember which is shadow, dark, light, etc etc...

Anyways, I'm on chapter 24 right now. Chp25 is the last chapter.

I don't have much to say really. Still really liking it, but honestly most of my points are addressed in the re-read.

I do have a couple thoughts I want to put down.

At first I thought Hood was Dassem. The Jaghut that was his Herald, who is now House of Chains Herald, said "I know who you are Hood". Like it's a secret who he really is? Which reminds me...is Baudin Hood's new Herald or Knight? Anyways, now I think traveler on the Ashaii Island guarding the true Shadow Throne, is Dassem. I did have that suspicion when we first met him, and now in the re-read they are talking as if it's a fact. Was something said I missed?

At the moment I don't like the change they did with Heboric. Going from this calm, subdued, priest like old man who had this surprisingly powerful ability within his "Ghost Hands".....to basically a Gruntle type character. Treach's own. Fast, Angry, Innately powerful(not surprisingly). Even his personality seems much different.

Is Kilava the Whirlwind Goddess? Don't answer that...but I wonder...

So much is coming to a head here. Karsa, Kallam, Topper?, Pearl/Lostara, Malazans, all the Assassins around the camp, the Mages.....things are about to blow up big. And then there's this foreshadowing that Tavore might be able to resolve this conflict with out bloodshed? (A soldier who seems to just "know" things said that). Not to mention Stormy, Truth, Baudin, Gesler are all on the brink of Ascension!

I also had this suspicion a LONG time ago, but never voiced it. But it's now somewhat confirmed by Aspalar. Laseen never really intended to assassinate Dancer and the Emperor. Or at least, it was THEIR idea for her to attempt it. It was planned, rather than coincidentally avoided. Because Shadowthrone seems to be part genius, and has this master plan. Which we will probably find out later was black or white. Meaning his true plan was for the good of mankind/humanity/intelligent species. Or was simply a power play and is Kellenvad vs the Crippled God, and the Crippled God is actually the good guy!(reaching here!)

I am on chapter 16 of GotM. Yes the names and backstories are confusing but , damn, the story is riveting. Reading the Tor re-read as I go along helps, although it is helping less as I am doing a much better job picking up on the smaller bits. The Tor re-read will be much more useful in the future as it pulls in references from past books as I progress.

After GotM, should I read Night of Knives or Deadhouse Gates? The Tor re-read hits NoK next and I am leaning that way unless someone tells me that Esslemont's books are inconsistent or pose any problems.