Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvoc8 View Post
    After GotM, should I read Night of Knives or Deadhouse Gates? The Tor re-read hits NoK next and I am leaning that way unless someone tells me that Esslemont's books are inconsistent or pose any problems.
    I'd recommend reading NoK between books 5 and 6. That's when it was published and it also reveals a lot of information about a certain character that IMO you shouldn't learn until later.

This was asked before. The best reading order is:

# Gardens of the Moon (1999)
    # Deadhouse Gates (2000)
    # Memories of Ice (2001)
    # House of Chains (2002)
    # Midnight Tides (2004)
    # Night of Knives (2005, written by Ian Cameron Esslemont).
    # The Bonehunters (2006)
    # Reaper's Gale (2007)
    # Return of the Crimson Guard (2008, written by Ian Cameron Esslemont).
    # Toll the Hounds (2008)

Basically Publication order.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Publication order is always the best recommendation, but for the end of the series, I think the reader has to stop after Toll the Hounds and consider carefully.

#9 - Dust of Dreams ("1st half of final story")

ICE - Stonewielder

#10 - The Crippled God ("2nd half of final story")

Publication order splits books 9 and 10, while events in Stonewielder, from what I have read elsewhere, take place a continent away from the events of 9/10. In the above scenario, there is a fair argument for reading Stonewielder either first, second or third.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    Publication order is always the best recommendation, but for the end of the series, I think the reader has to stop after Toll the Hounds and consider carefully.

#9 - Dust of Dreams ("1st half of final story")

ICE - Stonewielder

#10 - The Crippled God ("2nd half of final story")

Publication order splits books 9 and 10, while events in Stonewielder, from what I have read elsewhere, take place a continent away from the events of 9/10. In the above scenario, there is a fair argument for reading Stonewielder either first, second or third.
    Ya I guess what I pasted was before the final book. I would be curious what people think of that last order as well.

Just to add my additional thoughts. I am on the last chapter. Stuff is hitting the fan of course. Since I am reading through with the re-read I'm not posting as many comments because they are usually addressed on there as well. Regarding the re-read there are pros and cons to it.

On one hand it's nice because they will often tie things together that you may have missed, or explain a confusing chapter or page. On the other sometimes these re-readers are a little too good at guessing. So it takes some of the guess work for you, and the surprise out. Plus it's a little annoying to read a chapter, then read the re-read's summary's, then two peoples long POV's of each chapter. I've been going straight to "Amanda's" section. Skip the summary's and I don't read Bill anymore. No offense, but I find his descriptions incredibly boring. He normally focuses on what SE is trying to convey to the reader, and how this effects real life scenarios...etc. BLEH. Amanda have some good theories and guesses as well.
    Last edited by chris777; October 24th, 2011 at 04:11 PM.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd argue for TtH and TCG to be read back to back, they're one book split in two so no point confusing things with SW when it has little bearing on the main story.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kater View Post
    I'd argue for TtH and TCG to be read back to back, they're one book split in two so no point confusing things with SW when it has little bearing on the main story.
    I think you confused DoD and Tth there.

Blog Entries
    Good call, I did

DONE WITH HOC!

Good book.

Did Aspalar Ascend? Is that why she is gone? Do you have to leave to Ascend? Where do you go? Rake is an ascendant yet walks around as a normal being. The bridge burners ascended too? What does that even mean? Death is such a strange concept in these books.

Now do I read Heroes or the next one? hmmmm

Midnight tides goes to a new setting with mostly new characters. If you want to take a break, or want to read other good books on your pile, this is a good time to pause.

Quote Originally Posted by Seli View Post
    Midnight tides goes to a new setting with mostly new characters. If you want to take a break, or want to read other good books on your pile, this is a good time to pause.
    Good to hear cause I started The Heroes last night. I miss Abercrombie. Though I feel like I'm going from one dark and gritty universe to another. I'd rather break w/something light...oh well.

I know the re-read girl said she wasn't feeling HoC as much as the previous books because she didn't care for several POV's. One of which was Karsa's. Which I adamantly and extremely disagree with. Karsa is AWESOME. As of right now he's my favorite character. Cotillion and Icarium are a close second, and may surpass if we ever get some more Icarium POV's. The book was great. Like any SE book so far there is a lot of fluff. I skipped several sentences and paragraphs simply because he was describing for instance every detail and sound to portray how a characters senses were reacting to something(Ex: When Ghost-Hands became Treach's Destraint). But it doesn't really take much away from the book. Another complaint is the ending.
    Spoiler:
    I expected a big battle. A heart wrenching meeting between Tavore and Felesin. Sure that was one way, but for Felesin to never get an explination from Tavore... *sad face*
    I don't really understand the conflict between Karsa and Icarium. Was it just to show how strong Karsa actually is? Because isn't Icarium is supposed to be the baddest of badasses? Then....according to their encounter; If Mappo didn't knock Karsa out he would have killed Icarium because he knocked him unconscious. Am i wrong?
    Last edited by chris777; October 26th, 2011 at 02:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Icarium is a special case of 'you are better of not fighting him'. If you fight him, you are better off losing/running away.

Blog Entries
    Yeah there are two Icarium's, one strong but confused the other berserker unstoppable. Once the second one is unleashed as Arkeus said, it's better to run very fast in the other direction.

1. Icarium wasn't in Hulk mode
    2. Karsa tends to surprise the ancient badasses because they underestimate him and eh doesn't afraid of anything

Does anyone know if this series is going to get the Audiobook treatment?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but this thread has been recently updated so....

The nature of Icarium's power isn't clarified until one of the last books (can't remember which), so it will all make sense to you then.