Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordwalker View Post
    Does anyone know if this series is going to get the Audiobook treatment?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but this thread has been recently updated so....
    I saw a quote by Erikson in one of the forums that he signed a deal for audiobooks, but I have yet to see any.

Quote Originally Posted by End Of Disc One View Post
    2. Karsa tends to surprise the ancient badasses because they underestimate him and eh doesn't afraid of anything
    His resistance to magic has helped him out too. I'm only on book 7 but there have been numerous times so far where magic user sets up death wards of some kind and Karsa just walks through them, sometimes not even noticing them.

Finally decided to get around to finishing this series. I'm about 300 pages into Toll the Hounds, which I started a while ago but gave up on 150 pages in. Maybe the break is all I needed. I'm actually enjoying the book this time 'round.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    TtH is slow to start but the last 200 or so pages is kinda breathless.

Quote Originally Posted by kater View Post
    TtH is slow to start but the last 200 or so pages is kinda breathless.
    As much as I like this series so far this seems to be an underlying problem with almost every book, and for some the series as a whole. You have to drudge through boredom to get to the good stuff. "Oh the first and second book are mediocre, but the next few books are great!" or "The first half of the first 2books suck, but the second halves are amazing!" It's always worth it! - If you are willing to read the slow stuff.

Then again. What long series of books can you think of that is consistently good each book the whole way through. Not many, if any.

But there are series or books with slow bits and then there are series or books that are mostly slow. Not sure which format people are talking about when they say the last 200 pages are great, but in MMP Toll the Hounds is 1280 pages long. In trade paperback it's 830. Either way, you're talking about 600 to 1000 pages of, "Really, those 200 pages make it worth it..." I think not.

Multiply that by the fact that people say something like that about all 10 Malazan books. Even at a conservative "Oh, the second half is really good", that's thousands of pages of drudge. For me, personally, that's a sure sign of crappy, ineffective writing. There has to be a way to tighten that up somehow. Over the course of the whole series, that's weeks of reading time spent drudging through stuff in the hopes I get to something I'll like.

Call me strange, but I like to like reading all the time. I don't mind reading being work if that means getting to the meat of things later, but it has to be fun work, or why am I doing it?

Of course, I'm the person who when reading someone's comment the other day in one of the Sanderson threads which was lamenting spending $12 on a 320-page book when they've gotten used to 1000 pages books thought, "Gosh, I'd happily pay $12 for a 320-page book. But if you want me to read a 1000-page book, you'd better knock that price down a bit. No way I'll spend that much for what's likely to be 700 pages of dull...." But that's just me.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's prevalent with Erikson because of the intentional structure he uses with pretty much every book - slow build as many/all the threads are drawn together, a few tasty tidbits that end in a convergence that gets bigger every book. The format is particularly visible in TtH, to the point of overuse, but generally I would argue the pages leading up to the end of any of the Malazan books isn't dross or drudgery to read, just a slower burn. I've always compared it to sports contests in that it's amazing how many games come down to the last few minutes of play. The action that takes place prior to the mad scramble isn't wasted, rather the foundation on which the nail-biting hangs.
    Last edited by kater; November 3rd, 2011 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    But there are series or books with slow bits and then there are series or books that are mostly slow. Not sure which format people are talking about when they say the last 200 pages are great, but in MMP Toll the Hounds is 1280 pages long. In trade paperback it's 830. Either way, you're talking about 600 to 1000 pages of, "Really, those 200 pages make it worth it..." I think not.

Multiply that by the fact that people say something like that about all 10 Malazan books. Even at a conservative "Oh, the second half is really good", that's thousands of pages of drudge. For me, personally, that's a sure sign of crappy, ineffective writing. There has to be a way to tighten that up somehow. Over the course of the whole series, that's weeks of reading time spent drudging through stuff in the hopes I get to something I'll like.

Call me strange, but I like to like reading all the time. I don't mind reading being work if that means getting to the meat of things later, but it has to be fun work, or why am I doing it?

Of course, I'm the person who when reading someone's comment the other day in one of the Sanderson threads which was lamenting spending $12 on a 320-page book when they've gotten used to 1000 pages books thought, "Gosh, I'd happily pay $12 for a 320-page book. But if you want me to read a 1000-page book, you'd better knock that price down a bit. No way I'll spend that much for what's likely to be 700 pages of dull...." But that's just me.
    I am quite fond of the other six hundred to a thousand pages. Just because they are not action packed like the last two hundred pages does not mean they are any less interesting or a slog.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    I am quite fond of the other six hundred to a thousand pages. Just because they are not action packed like the last two hundred pages does not mean they are any less interesting or a slog.
    I'm no action nut, but his storytelling style certainly didn't work for me at all.

IMO the slow start was only a problem in Toll the Hounds

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    As much as I like this series so far this seems to be an underlying problem with almost every book, and for some the series as a whole. You have to drudge through boredom to get to the good stuff. "Oh the first and second book are mediocre, but the next few books are great!" or "The first half of the first 2books suck, but the second halves are amazing!" It's always worth it! - If you are willing to read the slow stuff.

Then again. What long series of books can you think of that is consistently good each book the whole way through. Not many, if any.

Probably the only thing Esslemont has over Erikson is the that Esselmont's start quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    This has actually been my biggest issue getting through the Malazan series. The books are all at or near 1000 pages, but I have to push myself through about 600 to 700 of those pages to get to the 300 or 400 pages that are actually interesting.

Interestingly enough, I felt the same way about Dances with Dragons. But that might had more to do with the Mereen parts boring me to death and not moving along at all, than it did with the pacing of the book as a whole. The Westeros parts never slowed down for me, even in the middle of the book.

It's all a matter of opinion, one man's trash is another man's treasure. I'm on book seven but I don't find the books too slow, I love them. On the other hand. I find GRRM slow and boring, but most love him, so to each his own.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by T77 View Post
    I saw a quote by Erikson in one of the forums that he signed a deal for audiobooks, but I have yet to see any.
    I would certainly like to get my hands on the first one at least, if and when it exists.

As I read further through Toll the Hounds, the more it becomes one of those weird novels where half the time I'm enjoying the story, then the other half I'm wondering what the heck I'm reading.

Also, there's just something about the way Erickson writes that's ... headache inducing. I can't even put my finger on exactly what it is. A part of it is (and I'm struggling for the right word or term to describe it) how he makes descriptions of what's going on more fanciful and confusing than it needs to be, as if he's trying to be poetic rather than simply tell the read straight out what's going on.