Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by INeedAUserName View Post
    As I read further through Toll the Hounds, the more it becomes one of those weird novels where half the time I'm enjoying the story, then the other half I'm wondering what the heck I'm reading.

Also, there's just something about the way Erickson writes that's ... headache inducing. I can't even put my finger on exactly what it is. A part of it is (and I'm struggling for the right word or term to describe it) how he makes descriptions of what's going on more fanciful and confusing than it needs to be, as if he's trying to be poetic rather than simply tell the read straight out what's going on.
    Ya the poetry, and not just at the beginning of each chapter, starts to get annoying. I took a break from Malazan and am reading The Heroes. And man...imagine if Abercrombie wrote The Malazan series. I just love the way Abercrombie writes his characters and plot lines. And how he breaks up chapters(Malazan's chapters are too long). You can just really feel the difference in personality in each and every character. Love every one of his books. Malazan is good. But it's not great.

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    Ya the poetry, and not just at the beginning of each chapter, starts to get annoying. I took a break from Malazan and am reading The Heroes. And man...imagine if Abercrombie wrote The Malazan series. I just love the way Abercrombie writes his characters and plot lines. And how he breaks up chapters(Malazan's chapters are too long). You can just really feel the difference in personality in each and every character. Love every one of his books. Malazan is good. But it's not great.
    Two different beasts. I doubt Abercrombie could pull off the epic feel of Malazan with its massive world and history, cast of thousands, insane battle scenes, etc. Abercrombie's battles scenes are still very good but not Malazan crazy-good.

And man...imagine if Abercrombie wrote The Malazan series.
    Hmm, northmen that seem a bit too repetitive and indistinguishable, lack of gut punch emotion, lack of the impressionistic narrative building style I love, lack of epic scope crossed with a street level humanity...nah, not to rag on Abercrombie too much given that I've enjoyed some of his stuff, but I have to say I find Malazan to be the more affecting work.

AuthorTHE BLACK ***'S WAR MosesSiregarIII's Avatar
    Hi all, I got to interview Steven Erikson for our podcast at the recent World Fantasy Convention: Adventures In SciFi Publishing 151. It turned into a really cool interview. The good folks at the Malazan forums seem to be enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by MosesSiregarIII View Post
    Hi all, I got to interview Steven Erikson for our podcast at the recent World Fantasy Convention: Adventures In SciFi Publishing 151. It turned into a really cool interview. The good folks at the Malazan forums seem to be enjoying it.
    Sweet. That's awesome man. I only got to listen to about 15min of it, but I'll finish soon!

Wanted to say I just finished THE HEROES. Awesome book. Who expects less from Joe? Anyways, I'll soon be starting Midnight Tides very soon!!

Finished Toll the Hounds yesterday. The last 200 or so pages were great. I just wish I didn't have to go through close to 1000 pages of "meh" to get there.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Finished The Crippled God last night. It was the wrapping up of many, yet not all, plot threads. While I really liked it, there wasn't any lingering after thoughts that persist through the days following a great read/movie.

Quote Originally Posted by INeedAUserName View Post
    Finished Toll the Hounds yesterday. The last 200 or so pages were great. I just wish I didn't have to go through close to 1000 pages of "meh" to get there.
    Just finished Reaper's Gale and am going to start Toll tomorrow probably. Lots of unexpected life and death situations. Really enjoyed it though. Tehol and Bugg are always fun to read. Hopefully the "meh" of Toll has a lot of the characters I've been missing on the original continent.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven of SD View Post
    Just finished Reaper's Gale and am going to start Toll tomorrow probably. Lots of unexpected life and death situations. Really enjoyed it though. Tehol and Bugg are always fun to read. Hopefully the "meh" of Toll has a lot of the characters I've been missing on the original continent.
    I'm almost done with RG and it has been an incredible read. RotCG is next in the reading order in case you're interested in following that, it's what I will read next.

Quote Originally Posted by T77 View Post
    I'm almost done with RG and it has been an incredible read. RotCG is next in the reading order in case you're interested in following that, it's what I will read next.
    Which reading order are you following? The TOR re-read?

Which reading order are you following? The TOR re-read?
    I'm not sure where TOR puts it but the fanbase recommends reading RotCG between RG and TtH.

Quote Originally Posted by End Of Disc One View Post
    I'm not sure where TOR puts it but the fanbase recommends reading RotCG between RG and TtH.
    What is that full reading order?

I am just reading Erikson publication order only. Wasn't sure how important or worth it reading Esslmont's parts were? I'm about to start Midnight Tides, and haven't read Night or Knives yet. Should I?

What is that full reading order?

I am just reading Erikson publication order only. Wasn't sure how important or worth it reading Esslmont's parts were? I'm about to start Midnight Tides, and haven't read Night or Knives yet. Should I?
    Gardens of the Moon
    Deadhouse Gates
    Memories of Ice
    House of Chains
    Midnight Tides
    Night of Knives
    The Bonehunters
    Reaper's Gale
    Return of the Crimson Guard
    Toll the Hounds
    Dust of Dreams
    Stonewielder
    The Crippled God

However you can save Stonewielder until after TCG if you want, since DoD and TCG are like two parts of one book.

Almost done with Deadhouse Gates so I am behind most. I am also reviewing the Tor re-read. I am completely hooked and the Tor re-read helps to keep all of the pieces together and helps to identify things I miss.

The Tor re-read read NoK right after Gardens of the Moon even though that is out of publication order. I am gathering from the comments on the re-read site that it was read in that order due to timeline of events not publication.

Two books in and this series can be slow moving at times, but the character development and little snippets of humor are well done even during the slow times. They are hard to read and if you are looking for something less mentally taxing then this isn't for you. There are times when I want a easy, gripping story. This isn't that. I may get some burnout and need to stop for a bit but for the moment this is excellent.

I'm going with EODO's read order there. I've seen that order many times, and it seems the best.

So far there is only one reason I've noticed to read NoK that early. In HoC there is a part where they are assaulting some building, and one of the guys from NoK comes up behind Fidler(or maybe Kalam) and it's one of those "WHO IS THAT GUY" moments. But we haven't met him yet, because he's only in NoK so far.

From what I've heard there are several reasons against reading NoK that early though.