Page 1 of 109 1231151101 ... LastLast
    Nick, Destroyer of Worlds nick1689's Avatar

Any word from the HBO Game of Thrones TV series?

Hey guys, has anyone heard anything about the upcoming TV series of Martin's series? Is it still even happeneing? Havent heard anything about it recently so I thought I would ask

Esse Quam Videri
    If it is as slow coming as dance with dragons, you may be watching it on your new Sony Holovision System!

hehe

Actually, the last I heard it was to be years into the future.

Yeah they (HBO people) have been "talking about it" for years upon years...I'm actually re-reading the books because the new one is to be upon us soon!

I believe that the script for the pilot has been written- not sure if its been submitted to HBO or not. TV shows do take a long time to make- especially ones that are going to have to be as detailed and expensive as ASoIaF.

The pilot was written and completed a few months back. GRRM was very happy with it and had very few notes or changes he wanted made. It was then submitted to HBO who are now considering it. Either they'll send it back to be rewritten or will greenlight it straight away, or they'll sit on it and ponder it and the possibly huge budget for some months to come.

So it's all in HBO's hands now. They could announce it as a project tomorrow or they could stay silent about it for six months and either greenlight it or ditch it.

If GRRM likes it, then I do! Now I really want that greenlight. Thanks for the info.

Arse.

George is currently attending the World Fantasy Convention in Saratoga. A few of my cohorts from the Westeros.org board are there and asked him about the HBO series. Apparently a new problem has emerged in the shape of a King Arthur-themed series which the HBO execs are intrigued by. However, if they do the King Arthur show they won't do ASoIaF, at least not until after the Arthur show concludes.

So if HBO announces a King Arthur series in the next few months, then ASoIaF will be out of the running for a few years at least.

Really? Thats bad news. Hopefully itll still happen, I would love to see Westeros on the big screen.

Time to change, Changer. foolofgold's Avatar
    I love Arthur stories and wouldn't mind an HBO version of it. I'm sure they'd do a much better version than Hollywood's big screen versions of it.

I actually like Jack Whyte's Arthur books more than I like ASOIAF.

Hope is kindled. Because the ASoIaF pilot script is completed and some work has been done on the rest of the series, it isn't affected by the imminent Hollywood Writer's Strike, which in theory could cripple Hollywood for the next few months. So if HBO wanted to proceed with new content, they can get moving on ASoIaF straight away whilst they'd have to wait months before anything could be done on the Arthur series.

Hooray! Praise those striking writers! Now all we need is for HBO to start casting.

Quote Originally Posted by nick1689 View Post
    Really? Thats bad news. Hopefully itll still happen, I would love to see Westeros on the big screen.
    Not the big screen (that's the movie theater screen), but I know what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by columbob View Post
    Not the big screen (that's the movie theater screen), but I know what you mean.
    Yeh.. I just wanted to go for the cliche anecdote

Actually, I was talking to a friend at TOR today, the TV/mini-series deal for ASOIAF fell through. HBO decided not to take it and the production company was said to have discontinued with the option In other words, they backed out. I was truly looking forward to seeing how this would be adapted to cinema.

It is a pretty reliable source, but like any only time will tell

Hopefully someone else will be able to pick it up...

Defender of Cononicals Physics Knight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mystar View Post
    Hopefully someone else will be able to pick it up...
    I don't hope so. If HBO can't do it, no one should. I cannot think of a single company that could do Ice and Fire justice without covering up everything and making it mainstream. Can you image, Disney Ice and Fire?