HBO confirm 7 seasons for the TV show

HBO have confirmed that they envisage GoT lasting for 7 seasons and no longer.

The showrunners had previously held out for 8, but it now looks like they have accepted 7 and are now actively planning for that. They have consulted with GRRM and created a detailed outline for the rest of the story.

According to GRRM, he should get The Winds of Winter out ahead of the TV show catching up, but admitted that the final book would be 'tight' to get out even on the previous 8-season plan. That means it's more likely than not that HBO will overtake and finish the story first.

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    HBO have confirmed that they envisage GoT lasting for 7 seasons and no longer.

The showrunners had previously held out for 8, but it now looks like they have accepted 7 and are now actively planning for that. They have consulted with GRRM and created a detailed outline for the rest of the story.

According to GRRM, he should get The Winds of Winter out ahead of the TV show catching up, but admitted that the final book would be 'tight' to get out even on the previous 8-season plan. That means it's more likely than not that HBO will overtake and finish the story first.
    I just don't see how that will work in reality. Very odd. I could see the publishers being worried that it could affect ultimate book sales. Hardcore fans will still read it (including me) but casual 'fans' ...

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Hard to imagine how they could possibly finish in 7 seasons, without drastic cuts from Books 4 & 5 (and beyond). But considering many people found those books slow, I guess it's understandable.

However, I can't see any way that George will stay ahead of them. They're already including Book 5 stuff this season. George writes at a glacial pace, and he was hoping for 2-3 seasons based on Books 4 & 5. Instead it looks like he'll get 1. I think he was hoping for 10 seasons overall.

The craziest part is that in just 3 short years, we'll "see" an ending to this story!

The recent article below states that just this week, Martin has talked about possibly finishing the screen adaption as a theatrical feature(s). I suppose this isn't the entirety of the conversation and could have been taken out of context.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=858083

So here's my thought. We are on Season 4 right now. Which will take bits from all the previous books it appears. Up until Dance. So it will technically catch up to the books. He will "hopefully" release Winds of Winter before Season 5 is aired, and 5 will be a lot of that book, possibly bits from stuff they didn't cover in previous books if needed. So technically season 6 would cover the FINAL book, Dream of Spring. But since they are doing 7 seasons, then you can cover a little more of each book, or possibly split the final book into 2 seasons. So if they went on a hiatus after season 5 or 6, or maybe even after this season. That would give GRRM one more year to finish the final book. It's not impossible, but it is a bit of a stretch considering his history.

s4 2014 - AFFC, DWD
    s5 2015 - DWD - TWOW
    s6 2016 - TWOW possibly a little ADOS
    s7 2017 - ADOS, finale.

At this rate he would have to have ADOS finished by roughly Feb of 2017 if we have any chance of READING the ending rather than watching a limited view of it. If you throw in a hiatus, it might help. I really want to READ this ending, not watch it, so I am willing to take a break so it can be published first.

This is my best case scenario. I'm not naive enough to believe that will actually happen. What I predict will happen....

2017 they will air on HBO a partial ending, and will say the series will be concluded in a movie. That will give GRRM another 2years or so to finish the final book. And he will use every second of that time, and probably release side by side with the movie. ADOS release date of summer of 2019!

I don't think that they are doing that much from Crows and Dance in Season 4. They have a lot of Storm of Swords left to do and the battle in the north will be Episode 9 out of 10 or so. What they may be planning to do is do Crows and Dance as one season instead of two as originally planned. That would mean three seasons for the last four books, with the understanding that Crows and Dance really form one book and thus gets one season. There is quite a bit that they can cut from both of those books, though it will be rather tight.