Boars, Gore, and Swords

I thought I'd recommend a very entertaining podcast series which you might enjoy. It's on iTunes, and is called "Boars, Gore, and Swords: a Game of Thrones Podcast". Two apparently San Francisco-based stand-up comedians, who had not read the books before the TV show began, go episode by episode with their reviews, reactions, predictions, etc. After season 1 ended, they began to read the books in the hiatus between seasons, and compare and contrast them with the show. I've only discovered it fairly recently so I am currently early in their reading of book 1, which goes a few chapters at a time, again with reactions and predictions. It's refreshing and entertaining to listen to two commentators who clearly don't know nearly as much about ASoIaF as probably any one of us - hearing them stumble and then finally get to grips with names, characters, relationships is fun. And some of the predictions are unnervingly on the mark ("By book four, Bran will be the Stark in Winterfell" - speculation based on early chapters of book 1!). But I think the best thing is seeing the characters afresh through the eyes of people without my preconceptions is the best thing about the podcast. It irritated me at first how they kept describing Lord Eddard Stark as "poor, dumb Ned" but eventually I understood how non-readers just don't see him they way I did, having read all his internal monologues; and their horror on discovering that the book version of the Hound is not nearly as likeable as the show version has been very entertaining. This really is highly recommended - I can't wait for them to hit the high points of the future seasons. After Ned's final scene, they actually start the recording, give a few minutes of instant reaction, then go away to compose themselves before re-starting the podcast. After the Red Wedding they'll probably go on holiday for a couple of weeks.

Just sharing something that might be interesting, on the art side: Game of Thrones 80s and 90s art (thought I'd post it in this thread).

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Dragon View Post
    Just sharing something that might be interesting, on the art side: Game of Thrones 80s and 90s art (thought I'd post it in this thread).
    really nice - love Bronn in adidas. nice usage of props, too, with the hotdog and the popsicle....

Kudos to the artist (or artists) who did that. It was nifty cool.