Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    Spoilers and how we should handle them

    I am at about 80% in A Game of Thrones and watching the 4th season, but my friends are already reading the 4th book and dropping some spoilers. Should I read the summary on those books and be done with my paranoia of spoilers?

    How do you deal with spoilers?

  2. #2
    Fulgurous Moderator KatG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In a Cloud
    Posts
    12,440
    Spoilers are going to be everywhere (be careful with threads in these forums.) The first season, my husband hadn't read them yet and he kept asking me questions and I would go, "I can't tell you." Then he ripped through the books in a couple of months (and keeps forgetting details.) Your friends should be nice and not talk about spoilers when you are around. But if they feel they must, tell them to warn you first and you can stick your fingers in your ears and go la la la, or leave the room.

    I'd say that it really is kind of fun if you don't know stuff and get to see it. But if you feel it is too burdensome, you can read summaries. You will probably still enjoy the books and the show. (Well except for the rape scenes they keep adding to the show maybe.)

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Spoilers are going to be everywhere (be careful with threads in these forums.) The first season, my husband hadn't read them yet and he kept asking me questions and I would go, "I can't tell you." Then he ripped through the books in a couple of months (and keeps forgetting details.) Your friends should be nice and not talk about spoilers when you are around. But if they feel they must, tell them to warn you first and you can stick your fingers in your ears and go la la la, or leave the room.

    I'd say that it really is kind of fun if you don't know stuff and get to see it. But if you feel it is too burdensome, you can read summaries. You will probably still enjoy the books and the show. (Well except for the rape scenes they keep adding to the show maybe.)
    I've decided to read all the summaries, and I find that I still enjoy the books. I also take it slow now, because I don't want to just rush through and forget important details (my friends completely went over details about Jon Snow's parents, and found it unimportant)

    The rape scenes don't really bother me, I don't get easily offended.

    And now that I know everything, it's a lot more fun to talk about ASoIaF with my friends, discussing all the intricate details and potential plot developments. Also, reading about Jon's parents, and potential theories, it blows my mind - it could change everything.

  4. #4
    Fulgurous Moderator KatG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In a Cloud
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Dukai View Post
    I've decided to read all the summaries, and I find that I still enjoy the books. I also take it slow now, because I don't want to just rush through and forget important details (my friends completely went over details about Jon Snow's parents, and found it unimportant)

    The rape scenes don't really bother me, I don't get easily offended.

    And now that I know everything, it's a lot more fun to talk about ASoIaF with my friends, discussing all the intricate details and potential plot developments. Also, reading about Jon's parents, and potential theories, it blows my mind - it could change everything.
    It can be difficult to talk with fans who haven't read the books when you did, so I'm glad it's working out for everybody. Though I am still having fun with teasing my daughter -- she's in the middle of Storm of Swords, so much of this current season is new to her.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Dukai View Post
    I am at about 80% in A Game of Thrones and watching the 4th season, but my friends are already reading the 4th book and dropping some spoilers. Should I read the summary on those books and be done with my paranoia of spoilers?

    How do you deal with spoilers?
    Your friends are something else! My brother doesn't even read the books and he ruined crucial plot lines for me by reading summaries on the internet. I think that the books and the show are taking off in different directions. Meaning, the characters and some of the plot changes quite a lot. Like in the Red Wedding, Jeyne's never in the picture. And the one who teaches Jaime to sword fight is not Bronn. You could read the summaries but you know, it's only a 10 episode season. Maybe you could tell your friends to stop being that way? Or don't talk to them about GOT till it's over. I know it's hard to do but I don't know what else will work!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •