Your favourite characters, do they differ?

What i mean is, are your favourite characters in the TV series the same as they were in the book?

For example, personally i never liked Eddard Stark, his honor always getting in the way of what i thought were the more rational decisions annoyed me way too much. And i found his dialogue a little dry, to be honest. But here, portrayed by one of my favourite actors, Sean Bean, he's maybe my favourite of the cast just because of the fact that it's Sean Bean and he's done such an admirable job.

anyway, my favourite characters of the first book were

Tyrion
    Arya
    Jon
    The Hound
    Dany

but in the series my favourite characters have been

Eddard

Littlefinger - like Eddard has become my favourite because of his fantastic portrayal. he's just perfect.

Viserys - again. i just felt he played the part of an angry, spoiled brat to perfection, so much so that i actually liked him for all the wrong reasons, and when he tries to steal the eggs i sympathized with him, as i did at the very end. in the books not so much

Jaime - same deal as Viserys really. he manages to hit the right balance of arrogance and charm so that i find him endearing rather than annoying like i did in the books (until book 3)

Tyrion is the only favourite of mine from the books that remains a favourite in the show.

I think it's amazing how an actor can completely change my perspective on certain characters through their acting talent and demeanor. Anyway, discuss. Am i the only one who the series had this effect on?

I feel that Cersei is too "nice" in the series. I thought that she'd be MUCH more well... evil/manipulating in the series

I liked Samwell in the books, but love him in the TV show. Jaime vies with Tyrion for my favorite character from the books slot, but that was not the case until a long way down the line, with Jaime's development, etc. I probably enjoy Jaime more as a character in the TV show than I did in the books at this point.

I think they are all good. I agree that Cersei could be a bit meaner but then you don't really understand the depth of her scheming in book 1.

Some of the ages are way off though. Jon Snow is supposed to be 14 ...yeah, right! Rob, 15 ...

I'd love to punch the Joffrey character full in the face so they have him spot on!

Hodor, Littlefinger, Lysa and John Umber are better in the books

Viserys, Arya, Syrio and Thorne are better than I imagined

Robb, Jorah and Shagga were disappointing at first, eventually greatly improved

Rogue Warrior
    Yeah I'm amazed how good these actors nailed these characters so good! Its hard to remember exactly how I pictured everybody now.
    Like Mark Addy as King Robert? I didn't like the idea of that, but he did a pretty good job playing him.

Registered User SisterChristian's Avatar
    One of my favourite characters in the books is Jon Snow.

Although I think the chose the right actor for him and the actor is doing a great job, I can't help to sympathize less with Jon Snow. I'm not entirely sure why that is, but I suppose I just feel like his dialogue and actions make him seem so much dumber, so much more selfish and also very spoiled (in the beginning).

Rogue Warrior
    Well to me Jon Snow is a plot thread thing. I mean who in their right mind would volunteer for the Wall? Just like my boy Khal Drogo was more a plot device...he coulda been a series by himself.

Registered User SisterChristian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    Well to me Jon Snow is a plot thread thing. I mean who in their right mind would volunteer for the Wall?
    I was wondering that myself but maybe Jon Snow really had no idea what he was getting into and thought it was the honorable thing to. Maybe he saw his uncle and got the impression that good, honorable men volunteer for the wall. After all we never learned why his uncle joined the Night's Watch (and I would really like to know).

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SisterChristian View Post
    I was wondering that myself but maybe Jon Snow really had no idea what he was getting into and thought it was the honorable thing to. Maybe he saw his uncle and got the impression that good, honorable men volunteer for the wall. After all we never learned why his uncle joined the Night's Watch (and I would really like to know).
    That's the thing, Jon DID know he was born and raised in Winterfell, he's seen deserters beheaded for deserting the Wall.

Book:
    Bran
    Dany
    Jon

TV:
    Tyrion
    Dany
    LittleFinger
    Bron

So I guess my only parallel favorite is Dany. But for me, after 3seasons of Game of Thrones I am having a very hard time separating how I felt about someone in the book vs the TV show. I just keep picturing the people from the show when I imagine the character now. Bran does not seem as dynamic, and much more of the background than in the books I think. They seem to be shying away from "magic", even more than the book did. As well as with Bran, my reason for liking Jon is because of his connection with his wolf. This is also not a very big part of the TV show. So I have lost that. Dany and Tyrion both are great characters in both book and TV show. Peter Dinklage is amazing. Simply amazing. One problem I have is he is too pretty. Even for a little person he's a good looking guy right. Tyrion is NOT. But I can look past that and enjoy his portrayal with enthusiasm. And Dany I've been unsure about. She's gorgeous, even though she doesn't have purple eyes. I like her character so much I've held contempt for the actress...until the scene with her black dragon and the releasing of the slaves. Amazing. Loved it. Solidified as my top 2. Little finger is just so sneakily good. Bron is just so hilariously, sarcastically good.
    Last edited by chris777; May 8th, 2013 at 02:34 PM.

I assume everyone has seen this by now?
    Peter Dinklige not returning for season 4.

http://hbowatch.com/peter-dinklage-april-season-four/

Scared the crap out of me.

Carl Alves
    My favorite are Tyrian, Jon Snow, and Arya, and they are pretty much the same on the show as in the novels.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by xElednorx View Post
    I feel that Cersei is too "nice" in the series. I thought that she'd be MUCH more well... evil/manipulating in the series
    I wouldn't call TV Cersei "nice" but she's coming across as smarter, less shallow, which makes her easier to sympathize with -- at times. I suppose that happens any time characters are brought to life on film.

Shae too -- Book Shae was a flighty gold-digger. I never believed Book Shae cared for Tyrion, but I totally believed TV Shae loved him. I like TV Shae and I'll miss her.

I didn't care much for Arya in the books but she's a favorite now.

I think Dany is much less annoying in the show than she is in the book. Giving us a glimpse of her thoughts in the books means that we can see how much of a kid she is and how obsessed she is with Daario. I like Tyrion in both the books and the show. I did prefer his Purple wedding scene in the book. But he gets really boring in Book 5. I hope they change that somewhat. Oberyn has much more screen space in the tv show over the books. They've also made Sansa really dull in the show. But the Arya Hound relationship is much better on the show.

You are more sympathetic to Cersei in the show which really leads me to believe that if they like the actors, they soften their characters up.