Hybrid View

A house on a hill somewhere in Australia.
    Blog Entries

Comic book movies

Which ones do you think they did right? Wrong? What annoys you?

Personally...

Right: Xmen First Class, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Ironman (both), Spiderman 2 (even if they really exaggerated the whole *particular* screaming thing) those really did it for me. And Watchmen. Though that's Graphic Novel. In fact, Graphic Novels, period. Kick Ass. SCOTT FREAKING PILGRIM!!! (okay, not superhero stuff but appeals to the same crowd, Michael Cera aside). But especially Watchmen.

Wrong: Batman Forever, outdone ONLY by Batman and Robin (stupid nipple obsession). Spiderman 3 really annoyed me. Xmen 3 wasn't great either. Wolverine was at least so bad it was good. Fantastic Four? More like Ordinary Four.

Also, when superheroes in general just have stock-standard Superman powers. Laser eyes, flight, speed, strength, and it's all played straight. Sky High had a great angle, as did The Incredibles and Megamind (oh god, was Megamind good). Venture Brothers has a funny take on the Fantastic Four: stretchy guy is the only one with useful powers, everyone else has realistic versions of the FF powers - the girl, her skin goes invisible... and that's it. The fire guy, he only lights up in oxygen, and it hurts him, so he has to be comatose 24/7. And Ned, the Thing analogue, has itchiness and a mental impairment. Good times.

And Hancock. That made me lol. Will Smith as a drunk, angry Superman. Brilliant.

Anyone else heard of No Ordinary Family? I haven't seen it, but it looks like a cheap, lazy, pandering rip-off with utterly pedestrian setup with powers taken straight from Superman and hoping to cash in on Heroes' success without any creativity or anything. From what I've seen of the ads, anyway. Point is, it doesn't *look* particularly interesting, not the way Heroes was. He has super strength. She has flight or super speed or something. The kids have... I don't know, but I have the power of the Channel Changer, so beat that
    Last edited by SilentDan; June 8th, 2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: wrong batman

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDan View Post
    Anyone else heard of No Ordinary Family?
    Watched the first two eps and gave it up. Meh.

As for "done wrong" - that abomination of a Hellblazer movie with Keanu Reaves in it was the wrongest sort of wrong in all of wrongdom!

I thought the first Batman reboot was pretty good (Batman Begins? Can't remember).

Blog Entries
    Aww, but Keanu Reeves plays a very convincing robot! It's like he's *actually* robotic!

"Graphic novel" and "comic book" mean the same thing to me, except one is intended for adults so there's supposedly less stigma attached to liking it. Anyway, I enjoyed Kick-Ass a lot as a hilariously brutal deconstruction of the genre, and Scott Pilgrim for its 90s nostalgia. (Not a superhero? He has implausible fencing powers, travels through subspace and turns his enemies into coins - how are those not superpowers?)

The first Spider-Man movie was pretty good. The others... not really. I didn't like the X-Men movies much either. They didn't feel like the franchise to me.

Blog Entries
    Well he's hardly hero type, nor are his powers 'traditional'. I think 'video game hero'. But the distinction is probably moot.

I quite liked Sky High. I watched it on BBC iPlayer one day and enjoyed it much more than I'd thought I would.

I'd like to say they did the Hellboy movies right, but they didn't. They weren't bad movies, but they moved from the source material too much. It was still Hellboy, just not the same kind of Hellboy. The two animated films were a little better, however. There was also the Judge Dredd movie that was both bad and good. Sly Stallone was perfect as Dredd, but it was hardly a great film.

I think you're kinda forgetting the more artsy graphics/comics, too. I watched the film of Persepolis and quite enjoyed it. Struggling to think of any others right at this moment, though.