Hybrid View

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar

Shadows of the Apt

While I have seen a thread for Empire in Black and Gold, I decided to start a thread for the entire series. Having recently finished Dragonfly Falling, I wanted to start discussing the series.

Dragonfly Falling was an increase in intensity, tension and drama from Empire in Black and Gold, but many of the criticisms of the first book hold true for the second. The majority of characters the reader has become familiar with are still alive and kicking, somewhere amidst the Empire's constant and expansive warfront. The various love interests and liasons in the book have something of the teen drama feel to them. One does get the sense that these are rough edges that are being trimmed away as the series continues.

I would have delved directly into Blood of the Mantis, but did not have it available. I have since ordered books 3 through 6 and will probably begin Blood of the Mantis as soon as the order arrives.
    Last edited by PeterWilliam; June 19th, 2011 at 01:06 PM.

I got halfway through Dragonfly Falling, and I just started to not care. I don't know what it is about Tchaikovsky's writing, it just doesn't inspire me. I just find it quite exhausting to read.

He's got quite a good world set up, though.

I stopped on the Blood of the Mantis. I just lost interest - plot line was stretching for too long, with new branches and no resolution in sight. I seems recall I've heard that in the 5th or 6th book there is a resolution of some kind, but it become more chore than enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by s271 View Post
    I stopped on the Blood of the Mantis. I just lost interest - plot line was stretching for too long, with new branches and no resolution in sight. I seems recall I've heard that in the 5th or 6th book there is a resolution of some kind, but it become more chore than enjoyment.
    Book 4 is the one with some measure of resolution, so it might be worth reading that to you.

I took a break from Dragonfly Falling to adjust to being a new dad and then when I was ready to read something again I went to the White-Luck Warrior by Bakker, I'm trying to get back into the Apt saddle but it doesn't seem to grab at me very hard.

I gotta say though the setting and action are very fun, the concept is strong too.

Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    I took a break from Dragonfly Falling to adjust to being a new dad and then when I was ready to read something again I went to the White-Luck Warrior by Bakker, I'm trying to get back into the Apt saddle but it doesn't seem to grab at me very hard.

I gotta say though the setting and action are very fun, the concept is strong too.
    Agreed. It's just something about the books that isn't right. I can't put my finger on it - Tchaikovsky's writing, whilst slightly bloated, isn't poor. The setting is great, the races rock, the characters are well developed and different from each other. It's a great mix on paper, but something in the execution just doesn't work for me.