Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have enjoyed the first three books in the series so far. I did feel that book three, Mantis, was a bit drawn out but it sets up book four. I understand that book four completes most of the story arcs and the remaining books start you on a new journey. I am looking forward to see what happens next.

I enjoy the idea human/insect hybrids and the world is quite interesting. Not sure why the Apt series hasn't garnered more attention as they all feel well written and unique in the genre for the most part. I will probably pick up a few more books in the series come payday.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar

Where?

For a month now, I have been looking for Heirs of the Blade, book 7 in Tchaikovsky's series. Amazon has none and offers only imports, some of which are from Book Depository. The Book Depository lists it as "currently unavailable." Purportedly, it was released in October. I checked Tchaikovsky's blog and....nothing. Does anyone around here have any idea when it will be out?

Waterstones lists a release date of March 2, 2012. Haven't heard why it was pushed back again though.

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    For a month now, I have been looking for Heirs of the Blade, book 7 in Tchaikovsky's series. Amazon has none and offers only imports, some of which are from Book Depository. The Book Depository lists it as "currently unavailable." Purportedly, it was released in October. I checked Tchaikovsky's blog and....nothing. Does anyone around here have any idea when it will be out?
    Heirs of the Blade was released on October 7 in the UK - I have no idea though about US releases (even if they are still on) for books 6/7; it is in the new tpb format and looks really cool - I bought a copy and then received two from the publishers after i read and reviewed the book which i gave away to friends to show how screwy sometimes stuff is...

If like myself you think that The Scarab Path was the best book of the series to date, Heirs of the Blade won;t disappoint as it comes close to that; magic, more magic and an ending for the ages that kind of finalizes the "middle part" of the series with the finale to start in the Air War

Air War is next year sometime, not sure when though
    Last edited by suciul; November 7th, 2011 at 09:09 AM.

Although I felt it was padded, I did like The Scarab Path. Particularly, I am eager to discover what the true nature of the separation between the Apt and the Inapt is. Since I have the first six in the Tor (i.e. Pan Macmillan) mmpb format, I'd like to be able to keep the size/artwork consistent for the shelf. That's why I went to Book Depository looking to buy, only to find "Currently Unavailable."

I am wondering if Pyr will be continuing the series. Book 5, The Scarab Path, is the most recent/last installment they've published and I haven't seen anything about books 6 and 7 coming out from them.

I've only read the first one, liked it (but didn't love it) and plan on continuing with the series.

Yeah, it's out now in the UK in tradeback. I was leafing through it a while back and thought the new maps (of the Commonweal this time) were interesting. However, I'm unsure about getting the book in tradeback and breaking up the shelf organisation of the series, so I might hang on until March for the standard paperback (unless they've also switched the standard paperback size to the new B-class, which would really be annoying). Plenty of books to read in the meantime, including Books 5-6 of this series.

Ugh, possible B-class format? Can't find out until March?

I hate waiting, to quote the swordsman.

Which size is B-Class, Wert/Peter/Rob? Is that the one Harper Voyager and Orbit tend to publish in?

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Which size is B-Class, Wert/Peter/Rob?
    I only buy US books, so I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Which size is B-Class, Wert/Peter/Rob? Is that the one Harper Voyager and Orbit tend to publish in?
    What most think of as mmpb is 'A' format (i.e. 178mm x 110mm). The 'B' format is slightly larger at 198mm x 129mm, and not used much outside the UK.

I see. So, to put this in I'm-an-idiot terms, is it like this?

Yes, I did use Dark Lady's Chosen on purpose, and also an omnibus

Yeah, Loerwyn, that looks about right. The only thing I have in 'B' format here (the middle of the US), is Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. Trade, mmpb and 'B' format....what the hell?! Hey, lets come up with at least four other pb formats and see if we can create total chaos and ruin everyone's shelves.

What's even more annoying is when you get variations in 'B' and 'A' formats. As you can just tell from my image, Among the Ghosts (On the right) is shorter than the others

Should really get back to Shadows of the Apt one day, actually.

Very annoying. I just bought what I guess is a MMPB the other day that is about a 1/4 inch taller (which I've come across before) AND thinner (which I have not) than a normal MMPB. Truly, one of the ugliest book, form-wise, I've ever seen.