Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Natalie Dormer looks like she's 18, so that's fine with me.

I stand by my earlier suggestion of Miranda Hart (on the right, obviously) for Brienne the Blue, if she is willing/able to take a non-comedy part - phsically she is just born to do it. And that pic is deceptive - she's 6'1"!!

For the mighty Stannis, lawful and rightful King of all Westeros*, I'd love to see David Morrissey take the role. He's a first-rate actor, and can really do stern and intense and brooding when the part calls for it. He was jaw-droppingly good as Gordon Brown in "The Deal", and our beloved former PM did have some qualities in common with Stannis, albeit not ones he would have wanted. (My actual first choice for Stannis would be Kenneth Branagh, but I don't think HBO would get him for the show. And if you think a Shakespearean luvvie like Branagh isn't able to do Stannis, I'd refer you to his appearance as Reinhard Heydrich in "Conspiracy", which is THE most chilling performance I've ever seen.)

*Yes he is. Shut up.

The problem is that Miranda is a comedian, not an actress. On her TV roles she's pretty much just playing herself. True, she could step up and shine, but based on past form alone, I don't see it. She's also rather older (at 38) than Brienne in the books, and I think Brienne's youth is part of her character.

I much prefer the idea of Eva Damen or Gwendoline Christy, they look much closer to the part. Not sure how old they are though.

I love you Wert but in what universe are either of those women really ugly at all? especially the second one, I found pics of her on a fashion's most wanted site!

Brienne isn't supposed to be sort of off so maybe Renly would toss her a pity bang after a goblet or two, she's supposed to untouchable. I don't think anyone from HBO casting is reading this but please have some balls and get someone the average guy wouldn't hit on without being 16 beers deep, I beg you!

I HATE it when a show has no ugly people, and then the people they do get to be "ugly" are perfectly normal looking. This isn't just a nit-pick, if Brienne isn't ugly the character doesn't make sense. Period. If she looks sort of okay then it would seem dumb like, "she could save herself some trouble if she would put on a dress, I'm sure some homely ass landed knight would be happy with her." The grim reality of Brienne is that that really isn't an option for her. If Renly were straight it's not unlikely it's going to happen, it's impossible. That's the tragedy.

Anyhow, I would like someone at least as ugly as that Beverly from the Voice. That's a good starting point IMO.

Edit: I found some Beverly pics and apparently she photographs better than I thought. So much more ugly than that please.

Edit 2: I thought of a good benchmark. Arnold's maid. That's the level of ugliness we need to strive for, that the world would be struck incredulous at the thought of a man cheating on his wife with her and start assuming it's some kind of ego complex on his part rather than just typical male lust that drives him to do it. If I sound harsh here it's because Brienne's reality is very harsh.

I could live with Eva Damen I guess but honestly I would find it disappointing.
    Last edited by saintjon; July 2nd, 2011 at 07:06 AM.

I never thought of Brienne as ugly per se i always just found her masculine looking an decidedly unfeminine in her apperance which in an alpha male world like GoT would be a major turn off

Catelyn says flat out, "There is nothing so cursed in this world as an ugly woman" or something to that effect.

I think Dominic West would be the perfect Davos.

Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    I love you Wert but in what universe are either of those women really ugly at all? especially the second one, I found pics of her on a fashion's most wanted site!

Brienne isn't supposed to be sort of off so maybe Renly would toss her a pity bang after a goblet or two, she's supposed to untouchable. I don't think anyone from HBO casting is reading this but please have some balls and get someone the average guy wouldn't hit on without being 16 beers deep, I beg you!

I HATE it when a show has no ugly people, and then the people they do get to be "ugly" are perfectly normal looking. This isn't just a nit-pick, if Brienne isn't ugly the character doesn't make sense. Period. If she looks sort of okay then it would seem dumb like, "she could save herself some trouble if she would put on a dress, I'm sure some homely ass landed knight would be happy with her." The grim reality of Brienne is that that really isn't an option for her. If Renly were straight it's not unlikely it's going to happen, it's impossible. That's the tragedy.

Anyhow, I would like someone at least as ugly as that Beverly from the Voice. That's a good starting point IMO.

Edit: I found some Beverly pics and apparently she photographs better than I thought. So much more ugly than that please.

Edit 2: I thought of a good benchmark. Arnold's maid. That's the level of ugliness we need to strive for, that the world would be struck incredulous at the thought of a man cheating on his wife with her and start assuming it's some kind of ego complex on his part rather than just typical male lust that drives him to do it. If I sound harsh here it's because Brienne's reality is very harsh.

I could live with Eva Damen I guess but honestly I would find it disappointing.
    eva damen is pretty gross looking if you ask me lol...

Quote Originally Posted by murf99 View Post
    I think Dominic West would be the perfect Davos.
    I'd actually peg West for Balon, because I think he bears quite a resemblance to Alfie Allen:

Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    I HATE it when a show has no ugly people, and then the people they do get to be "ugly" are perfectly normal looking.
    Not necessarily a casting issue, but I do wonder how they'll handle a certain cosmetic issue that pops up for one of the lead cast members.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I don't think we'll get a very ugly Brienne, but just a strong, atheltic actress.

I also don't think they'll make Tyrion much uglier down the road.

I'm okay with that.

Yeah, we're not going to get a hideous Brienne. At best we'll get 'Hollywood ugly'.

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    eva damen is pretty gross looking if you ask me lol...
    In all fairness when I started that post I'd only seen pics of her that are much more flattering . The one on Wert's link where she's in costume are what led me to say I could live with it but I still want someone uglier. You're probably right Wert but a guy can hope.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    FYI, apparently Eva Damen has confirmed that she will not be playing Brienne.

This is getting to be almost funny now. I'm surprised we haven't heard about anyone else being cast really they should be filming by now shouldn't they?