Gift Cards from Borders and Barnes & Noble

Soon I'll have some gift cards from Borders and Barnes & Noble arriving. I've never used one of these gift cards so I'm wondering how do they actually work?

Let's say I have a $25 gift card. Is the gift card a one time use only in that I can only use it to place one order regardless of how much of the gift card is used? Or can I place an order worth $10, which would leave $15 for use in some other order some other time?

Got some decisions to make soon, so I would appreciate if someone that knows could answer me a bit quickly.

Thanks.

Usually it'll tell you on the packaging.

If they're anything like gift cards we have over here, you have a set balance on them that works just like a debit card. If you have $25 and buy a $7.99 book, you'll have $18.01 left on that card to use another day. The Barnes & Noble Website seems to confirm this.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Agreement with Loerwyn. The gift card has an aggregate amount that is used all at once, or periodically until the total amount has been depleted.

You can spend it all at once, or in increments.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if your purchase exceeds the amount on the gift card, you can typically use another form of payment to cover the rest. So for example if you have a $25 gift card and you buy $30 worth of books, you can max out the gift card and then use cash/credit/whatever to pay the remaining $5. I know that this is true when you use the gift card in person at the stores, and I'm fairly certain that it remains true when you order online.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysippus View Post
    Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if your purchase exceeds the amount on the gift card, you can typically use another form of payment to cover the rest. So for example if you have a $25 gift card and you buy $30 worth of books, you can max out the gift card and then use cash/credit/whatever to pay the remaining $5. I know that this is true when you use the gift card in person at the stores, and I'm fairly certain that it remains true when you order online.
    It mentions that on the Barnes & Noble website

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    It mentions that on the Barnes & Noble website
    Sorry, I didn't click the link

Thanks "guys".

Didn't want to start a new thread on this, but any of you have had any experience in using an online coupon in these stores, and then use the printed equivalent of that coupon in a physical store?

They say is a one time use only, but I don't know how that's monitored in an online vs. store basis. So the question is, would I be able to use a one time only coupon online and then use that equivalent of it in the store without any trouble.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    Didn't want to start a new thread on this, but any of you have had any experience in using an online coupon in these stores, and then use the printed equivalent of that coupon in a physical store?

They say is a one time use only, but I don't know how that's monitored in an online vs. store basis. So the question is, would I be able to use a one time only coupon online and then use that equivalent of it in the store without any trouble.

Thanks.
    You should be able to. Fresh and Easy (a grocery store) had online coupons, my Dad printed ten or so, and used them until the expiration date.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Emesis View Post
    You should be able to. Fresh and Easy (a grocery store) had online coupons, my Dad printed ten or so, and used them until the expiration date.
    Difference is that when I buy I use my Rewards Membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    Difference is that when I buy I use my Rewards Membership.
    Does the coupon say "limit one"? You should be able to use them, one per sale. Maybe I am wrong. It is worth a shot though, what do you have to lose?

The coupons I'm thinking about can only be used once, else I would just keep using the same one online.