Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    STILL stuck in wind up girl. It really is all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post

Speaking of which, have now started reading Reynold's latest novella, Troika.
    Ooo, sounds interesting. But $25 for a 100 page hardcover is a bit much for me. Ill try to catch it when cheap used ones come out

Im reading Spider Star by Mike Brotherton. Interesting and well written so far.

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by livens View Post
    Ooo, sounds interesting. But $25 for a 100 page hardcover is a bit much for me. Ill try to catch it when cheap used ones come out

Im reading Spider Star by Mike Brotherton. Interesting and well written so far.
    Troika is also available in the Godlike Machines anthology which may be easier to find.

Blog Entries
    I'm about a third of the way into Downbelow Station by CJ Cherryh and like it a lot so far though I've come to realize that it is the third book in the Earth/Union anthology. Will just have to get the others now. Anyone else out there familiar with the series?
    I saw an earlier posting on Ky Vatta earlier. I am four books into the series and it just keeps getting better. If you like Moon's science fiction, give the Heris Serrano/Esmay Suiza series a try; it reads a lot like the Vatta's war series and is also quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by pox View Post
    STILL stuck in wind up girl. It really is all over the place.
    finally coming to some sort of gratifying conclusion I think maybe.

Read interesting books
    I started two major sf releases of 2011 - Vortex by RC Wilson (3rd Spin universe novel) and Flashback by D Simmons; both are asap page turners though I think I will focus on Vortex first since it is more unpredictable and I am curious where it goes.

Flashback is more standard post-apocalyptic though of course it is Dan Simmons so it's an almost guaranteed great read with world building that I love though of course it will annoy the pc crowd badly; at the start it is not unlike the Morden Petrovich series which had a great first book, a good second book that started great but then got stuck in predictable stuff and a somewhat disappointing third novel that failed to exploit the great series potential, devolving in UN kumbaya run-of-the-mill anti-Americanism which grated badly

Quote Originally Posted by livens View Post
    Yeah, I would never buy it in it's current format - luckily the local library likes to stock Reynolds books, even single novellas.

They also have "The Six Directions of Space", another expensive Reynolds novella which was a great read (I liked it better than Troika).

Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    I started two major sf releases of 2011 - Vortex by RC Wilson (3rd Spin universe novel) and Flashback by D Simmons; both are asap page turners though I think I will focus on Vortex first since it is more unpredictable and I am curious where it goes.
    I'm looking forward to both of them too (Vortex should be arriving from BD any day, and Flashback from the library).

Think I'll start on Vortex first. I've heard that Simmon's political views become very (overly for some) apparent in Flashback?

finally coming to some sort of gratifying conclusion I think maybe.
    Sounds like you're really enjoying it!

Read interesting books

Think I'll start on Vortex first. I've heard that Simmon's political views become very (overly for some) apparent in Flashback?
    The author himself wrote about that HERE; from what I read from the book, I cannot say it is overtly political in the action - the geopolitics of course will make the leftist liberals scream, but imho the world building is quite moderate compared with Kratman or Ringo and it is based on current realities in various countries, just projected on a larger scale

Finished up David Louis Edelman's Jump-225 trilogy last week. Pretty damn good reads! Moved on to Iain M Banks' first Culture novel, Consider Phlebas. Should be a good month

I started The Age of Zeus by James Lovegrove this morning, ~50 pages and I like it so far.

Starting Leviathan Wakes tonight. Windup girl was OK.

Sounds like you're really enjoying it!
    there was a lot that didn't feel consistent with a plausible future, there was a lot that didn't go anywhere, the plot wobbled a lot, and it ended a bit like a JG Ballard book but without the desperate feeling of not wanting to have read it. Was OK.

Windup girl was OK.
    I was planning to read it this month, but that's not really encouraging.

Rob, did you ever finish The Quantum Thief?

I read the Quantum Thief immediately beforehand and it was good! Should/could have been longer and expanded on stuff maybe. It's a 1 sitting read and to be fair doesn't really suffer for it.