Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I see. The edition I want (Tor US hardcover) is flipping expensive, so I might wait to see it they carry the cover over to the paperback, as I really don't like the UK (Gollancz?) one. Thanks!

Read interesting books
    After a quick read of Ring of Fire III anthology (mediocre, the series should focus on its main story which is superb, the rest is generally sub-mediocre with the rare gem) I read some 100 pages from Vortex and despite being a little apprehensive from the blurb, RC Wilson style is just irresistible and the book rolls on the page; now of course tonight it is Dragon time so I will probably finish Vortex only Wed or Thursday, but it seems another winner

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Rob, did you ever finish The Quantum Thief?
    Yes, I finished it on Saturday and thought it was pretty good. It loosened a bit as the novel progressed, in that the narrative wasn't as tightly woven for me, but still a good, interesting read that I would recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Yes, I finished it on Saturday and thought it was pretty good. It loosened a bit as the novel progressed, in that the narrative wasn't as tightly woven for me, but still a good, interesting read that I would recommend.
    Oh, excellent! I've heard the beginning is a bit of an infodump, but I might just have to pick it up when the current book well dries up a little more.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I finished The Postman by David Brin. A little late to the party, but I have a strong allergy to Kevin Costner's movies, and probably this coloured my perception of the book merits.
    I liked it, I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, and I had some issues with some Cold War memes, but overall I appreciated the study into the power of Myths to shape sciety and ethics, and how some of those myths came into being. I also liked how the book is focused on a message of hope, not on the cynical existential angst that all our efforts are in vain and we live in a state of perpetual war.

I was planning to read it this month, but that's not really encouraging.
    Opinion on it seems fairly divided to me.

Last night I finished Leviathan Wakes. It's not a great book, but it's quite good and it's exactly the solar system space opera story that SF has been missing lately. One drawback is that I could tell the parts that each author was writing, which felt like reading a book by a schizophrenic. That got better by the end though. Looking forward to the second book.

Have to work today, but will be picking up A Dance with Dragons afterward. Woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by beniowa View Post
    Opinion on it seems fairly divided to me.
    That's why it's not encouraging. For everyone who likes it, someone doesn't. I'll maybe get to it after I finish the book I'm on.

hmm, well, I should be able to tell you my opinion in a few days. Seems ok so far but so far is 8 pages. I am so not up for Dance with Dragons...

[shudder]

Just finished James Tiptree Jr's collected short stories and novellas, Star Songs of an Old Primate. Some of the stories are really incredible and none are less than thought provoking and very well written. She really was a distinctive voice.

Now on to John Wyndham's The Trouble with Lichen.

I've finally started The Windup Girl, and my first impressions are that it's a massive infodump that's fairly well written, but so far I don't care for it in the slightest. That may change, however.

I've finally started The Windup Girl, and my first impressions are that it's a massive infodump that's fairly well written, but so far I don't care for it in the slightest. That may change, however.
    let me know if you start to get into it just before the end then go off it again.

I'm not going to get that far. The writing is horrific, the use of four languages is irritating and that rape/forced sex scene was just unnecessary.

Not even hit page 100 and I want to burn the bloody thing.

I'm not going to get that far. The writing is horrific, the use of four languages is irritating and that rape/forced sex scene was just unnecessary.
    Actually (and this is one of the few times I'll ever actually say this), the forced sex scenes here are pretty much mandatory for where he's going with certain characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    Actually (and this is one of the few times I'll ever actually say this), the forced sex scenes here are pretty much mandatory for where he's going with certain characters.
    Maybe, but I still didn't want to read it, and sometimes allusion is much worse than the somewhat graphic ones.

But if there's more, I'm definitely not continuing.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    I'm not sure they are you know.... A good stuff beating and the heat could have been an equivalent plot device. None of the morality of windups as objects is expanded/explored sufficiently to warrant what is occasionally gratuitous objectification. The point is made reasonable well in street scenes for that matter.

Loerwyn, I'd say if you're going bin it (fair enough for you), then read like the last 2/3 pages which are harmless and show you exactly how anticlimactic it manages to be in wrapping up all the loose ends, just so you know.

I thought it was just 'ok' but I confess I skipped some paragraphs/pages under my standing rule of never generating nightmares.
    Last edited by pox; July 14th, 2011 at 03:56 AM.