Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I won't bin it (What a waste!), I'll just sell it.

I knew as I wrote the word 'bin' I was risking book club angst. You can't hate the content so much that it would be wrong to sell it then, which is why I left such an evocative word in. I'm not a book binner, just like to clarify.

really though, last few pages...

Quote Originally Posted by pox View Post
    You can't hate the content so much that it would be wrong to sell it then
    I didn't "hate" The Windup Girl. I was irritated and annoyed by it to the point of giving up within a very short period of time. Might as well try and get a little bit of my money back, and in the process, allow someone to read it without having to shell out too much for it.

Simple.

Read interesting books
    I finished The Kings of Eternity by Eric Brown; I am not sure i will have time to review it on FBC since a bunch of books piled up during my month a half moving hiatus but I will try to help spread the word.

It got very enthusiastic reviews from Mark Chitty and Rob here and those made me read it, reviews to which I agree to a large extent, especially in wishing that this book would have been released by a publisher with the muscle of the one that put out A map of Time, since The Kings of eternity has the same appeal and it is much better imho, but the way it's been marketed (not available in stores...) almost guarantees it will vanish soon and people won't know what they miss as the book is a great one for the non-sf reader to see what the fuss is all about.

The book is very well written, compelling and i stayed way too late to finish it. Reclusive writers, tragic romances, artists, Greece, a great premise for the sf newbie and great writing make the right combination for a hit on the Time Traveler's Wife scale but as mentioned that needs a completely different marketing, to a completely different audience than the readers of sffworld or FBC for that matter

This being said, as a sf novel there are some drawbacks - the story is one I read for the 100th time so I could predict it in general lines very early, the sf content is pure 30's pulp (ray guns and all) and the book verges on solipsism on occasion. The biggest failing though was the complete seriousness the sfnal part is taken - here it shows the difference between a decent sf writer like Mr. Brown and a top level one like say C. Priest who would have inserted enough ambiguity to make one wonder if the aliens and all are real or everything comes from the delusions of the narrator. That would have raised the novel to possibly a masterpiece of sf; this way it is a very good book, highly recommended and one that should appeal a lot to sf newbies and show them why the genre is so well loved by its fans

I just finished Spider Star by Mike Brotherton. This was a book that I really wanted to like but the author ruined it for me.

The action, and the dialog between characters for that matter, was broken up by huge blocks of ramblings. The main character would say a sentence, then you read 3 of 4 paragraphs of back story, a few more sentences of dialog, a page and a half of the characters inner thoughts. I dont mind this in the beginning when you are getting to know the characters and the world they live in. But all the way through the book right up to the end? I read the last half of this book skipping through until someone actually said something meaningful.

I am now starting A Canticle for Leibowitz. Just a few pages in and I'm hooked. With writing this good I really don't care what the story is about.
    Last edited by livens; July 15th, 2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: forgot my next book

Read interesting books
    I finished Vortex by RC Wilson and it was superb; after Axis expanded the universe of Spin but felt very middle book without a real resolution, this one both carries the story forward and explains the mysteries, etc with Turk Findley and Isaac Devli as main protagonists, but also doubles back in time to the first post-Spin generation and a story which shows RCW at his best - storyteller and creator of great characters in several "normal people" that deal with strange events

Not unlike Kings of eternity in some ways, but here the sfnal part is much, much better, while the literary part is as good if not better; Vortex is for now one of my top 5 sf novels of the year and maybe it will beat Embassytown for #3 (very unlikely that anything can beat Clockwork Rocket which is my #1 novel of the year so far regardless of genre since the Riemannian universe and the sentient shapeshifters there beat even the dragons of GRRM for me and then there is Leviathan wakes as #2 sf and the one epic out of these 4)

Just in the last 40 pages of Leviathan wakes now. Very enjoyable. All the correct buttons for me.

I finished Vortex too, and thought it was a good finish to what started in Spin. As usual RCW builds and presents interesting characters and his prose is so easy to read, but I found myself losing interest a bit after about half way through. I don't know if this is because Spin was so good, and/or I've read many great books by other authors since, but I found it a bit lacklustre overall. Still a good book, but I was expecting more.

Leviathan Wakes rates much higher for me, and Embassytown to a lesser degree (though this needs a re-read to try to get the full picture).

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    I finished Vortex too, and thought it was a good finish to what started in Spin. As usual RCW builds and presents interesting characters and his prose is so easy to read, but I found myself losing interest a bit after about half way through. I don't know if this is because Spin was so good, and/or I've read many great books by other authors since, but I found it a bit lacklustre overall. Still a good book, but I was expecting more.

Leviathan Wakes rates much higher for me, and Embassytown to a lesser degree (though this needs a re-read to try to get the full picture).
    I really like RCW's "human" stories - eg Blind Lake, Chronoliths, Spin, Julian etc more than his sfnal speculations overall and here the story of the doctor, the policeman and the patient raised the book a notch for me, while the Vox part and the latter stuff that explains all was good too, but did not set the house on fire so to speak

I am still in a sfnal mood (finally mustered energy to go through Low Town aka Straight Razor Cure aka the supposedly new wonder in noir fantasy and I still found it bland and boring and turning the final page was a big relief - would have put it down long ago, but to my woe I requested it from Amazon Vine due to a review comparing it to Mieville - ha, ha!! - and I felt compelled to give it a 2 star review since it was not atrocious to deserve one star, just overrated banal stuff) so either Flashback or some reading pile books like Glamour from which i read 100 pages (or other CP like Inverted World or Extremes from the ones I have not yet read) and i am savoring it slowly, Transformation Space or some steampunk indie

A copy of Reamde is making its way to me and that's a huge, huge asap

I'm not sure but I may have burnt out all easily availably options again. I think it has to be Horus Rising by Dan Abnett... I'm 'unsure' about WH40K....

Quote Originally Posted by beniowa View Post
    Last night I finished Leviathan Wakes. It's not a great book, but it's quite good and it's exactly the solar system space opera story that SF has been missing lately. One drawback is that I could tell the parts that each author was writing, which felt like reading a book by a schizophrenic. That got better by the end though. Looking forward to the second book.
    I just started it the other day. I like it so far.

I'm not sure but I may have burnt out all easily availably options again. I think it has to be Horus Rising by Dan Abnett... I'm 'unsure' about WH40K....
    waaa this faux spartan language style might suite people who're into the canon but I think I might bleed out reading this..

waaa this faux spartan language style might suite people who're into the canon but I think I might bleed out reading this..
    I'm confused as to why you're reading Warhammer 40k novels if you're not 'into' the series.

Talking of franchise novels, I read BioShock: Rapture by John Shirley over the weekend. Thoughts coming soon.

I'm out of books to read.... Someone told me it's as good a place as any to start if you HAVE to get into it.

I'm out of books to read.... Someone told me it's as good a place as any to start if you HAVE to get into it.
    If you feel you HAVE to get into a series, you really shouldn't bother. If you WANT to, then fair enough...