Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    I finished Greg Egan's The Clockwork Rocket this week. For me it wasn't as strong as the hype I had read. I found it a little boring most of the way through. It was interesting reading about the people and their world, but after a while the physics lessons got to me. I started skimming through some of the most lengthy ones...

But in the end I was into the story and will be reading the next one.

Now Im starting into David Brin's earlier Uplift books. I have read the later trilogy (Brightness Reef...) and really enjoyed that. Ive got Startide Rising and the Uplift War. Startide Rising is really good so far, lots of twists and turns. Not sure if I like it better than the later ones yet.

Blog Entries
    The Vatta's War series is the Best! I really like Moon's Sci-Fi anthologies (I finished Command Decision last month and the final book Victory Conditions is on my to-be-read pile. If you like this series you should try her series with Esmay Suiza starting with Once a Hero which is just as good.
    I just finished a very different book, also with a great female protaganist called Dreadnought by Cherie Priest. It's the second book in her "Clockwork" series. Though I haven't been a big fan of steampunk, I loved this rip-roaring adventure set in an alternate America where the Civil War has raged for over 20 years and the Industrial Revolution has turned all sorts of bizarre and interesting mechanizations. I liked this one even better than her debut story in the series, Boneshaker!

I mainly read fantasy but have decided to read some more sci-fi, and check out some highly regarded novels of the genre. I'm starting with Foundation by Isaac Asimov.

Finished New Model Army by Adam Roberts. Liked it, though explicit homoerotic sex scene was completely unnecessary. War-wiki, new kind of wars etc. The ending was a cliche though.

I'm reading Dancing With Bears by Michael Swanwick. Enjoying it very much.

I read a short story with his characters, Darger and Surplus (The Dog Said Bow Wow - a short story Hugo Award winner and an excellent tale) years ago and enjoyed it very much, so I was pleasantly surprised when I found out he wrote a book with them in it.

For any interested, "The Dog Said Bow-Wow" follows the story of Sir Blackthorpe Ravenscairn de Plus Precieux (better known as "Surplus"), a genetically engineered talking dog of human intelligence, and Darger, his partner in crime. Together they create a plan to con several high officials of Buckingham Palace out of their wealth. The story is set in a not-very-distant future after a war between mankind and its artificial intelligence creations in which humans won, but civilization as we know it was forced to revert to an early Victorian era level of communications technology.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice but unfortunately, our local used book store only sells books that nobody wants! No Cherryh; what a drag!
    I had better luck at a Borders going out of business sale where I found Regenesis.
    Also picked up Illum by Dan Simmons and After America by John Birmingham in a three for one deal. Not used books prices but I'll take it!

In that case I would turn to ABEBooks.

Read interesting books
    Waiting for enough time/energy to get seriously into Reamde, I went fast through a mil-sf coming of age story that I had low expectations about and it confirmed them - ok maybe low is too strong, but the book is so average and unremarkable that I wonder why it was published unless the author has tons of fans and clout since the market is pretty saturated with such and it is not the hot vampire/zombie stuff that today is published in industrial quantities - this being said A Soldier's Duty: Theirs Not to Reason Why by Jean Johnson flows well so it's readable and you may enjoy it more if you have not read it 100 times before as i did, sometimes in considerably better executions

Shoot, well here it is Aug and I see this thread.

Finishing up The Ghost Brigades by Scalzi. Not as good as Old Man's War, but still a decent read. His writing style changed between the two books, I don't like how he breaks up the momentum of story telling with 3 solid pages of RNA splicing/sequencing (and other topics). The story will be chugging along and they he feels the need to give me a small science lecture. It really kills the pacing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chitman13 View Post
    Indeed - one of the better ones this year, although possibly not the image I would have used. Still, it conveys sci-fi very well!
    I liked the cover very much. Are there any similar views with a similar story?

It looks as if a lone cruiser had landed to quietly explore a advanced civilization.

Thanks.

Steve