Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews

If not mistaken there about 3 or 4 people here who read Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews, and I've seen the series mentioned a couple of times as of late that I thought it might be worth it to have a thread discussing the series.

I have to say that the first book in the series wasn't a good one, and I think it's what mainly puts people off in the series. But in my opinion, the series improves vastly in quality from the 2nd book on.

At this moment, this series stands a close 2nd to my favorite series in Urban Fantasy The Dresden Files. And the series is all about how kickass Kate Daniels is for me. She talks the talks and walks the walks.

There are 5 books out at the moment with the latest one being Magic Slays that just came out in May. Not my favorite in the series, but another great addition with a good setup for the next installment.

For those that don't know, it seems like there are only a couple of more books planned for the series in addition to two spin-off novels. So for fans of the series, this might not be good news, but for those of you that like to see a series actually end, then this might be enough of an incentive to keep an eye out for the series.

So who here reads this series?

I read the first one, but that's it. I keep seeing people saying that it gets much better, so one of these days I'll have to try the second.

I think my second favorite after Dresden is Felix Castor. Although Felix might have to duke it out with Joe Pitt, depending on my mood at the time.

I love the Kate Daniels series. Hated the first. The chip on her shoulder was the size of Jupiter. I had the sense that she would punch a mailman in the face for looking at her funny, and I had a sense that the authors truly believed that her blind aggression was cool and empowering. The series outgrew that, and I came to love it. I'm impatient for the next book.

I do like bad-ass Kate, but that's not the source of my love.

I've come to see how the secondary characters bring a series to life. The primary characters, like the Protagonist, the Love Interest, the Suspicious Cop, the Vampire King, the Rival, they're like pawns on a chessboard; the author has a purpose for each of them. They move the story along. But it feels to me like the charactes who don't fit into that template are the ones who bring life to a story.

For instance, there's a series where the first book introduces an old man who's a fantastic Creole chef and an incorrigible flirt. His scene is the most lively, fun scene in the book. He gets killed off. Because that series is bad, and it has no room for anyone but its Major Players.

But the Kate Daniels series is good, and there's a southern medic who's a were-badger and makes all his patients drink iced tea, but he makes the iced tea far too sweet. He's not a major character by a long shot; he has no preconceived Role To Fulfill; but when Kate gets a cut on her arm and she starts thinking, "Oh damn, now I'll have to go to the clinic and he'll make me drink that horrible tea," it creates a really enjoyable sense of continuity -- of stepping back into this world I enjoy.

Curran's foster father, the bear. Ghastek's beautiful assistant. Julie. Derek. Jim. Each of these characters adds life and fun to the series, and I'm always eager to learn more of each of them.

That, to me, is why I love this series as I do. Yeah, the authors understand action, and they know their way around a climactic battle. They make their magic interesting. But I return for the characters, especially the ones who are there for more than just Moving The Story Along.

I have similar feelings with the characters in the Dresden Files. I want to know how Michael is doing, what's happening in Thomas' life, etc. I'm eager for more. I tune in to these two series to get my fix of these characters and their world, as much as I tune in knowing that the climax will be worth every second that led up to it.

In most of these series, I don't care about the characters. There's one series where the writing is fun but I hate the characters and want them all to die except the dog.

Reading the Kate Daniels short stories has left me with a sad feeling that all the characters are Meant To Be Paired Up, Romantically. (Spoilers) Kate and _____n. Derek and ____e. Jim and ___i. Andrea and ______l. I don't really go in for this sort of thing, and I hope more ambiguity develops.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    I read the first one, but that's it. I keep seeing people saying that it gets much better, so one of these days I'll have to try the second.

I think my second favorite after Dresden is Felix Castor. Although Felix might have to duke it out with Joe Pitt, depending on my mood at the time.
    same here, are there any new books in either Castor or Pitt series to come out? I've searched the internet, in fact it was looking for news on a new Castor story that lead me to this forum.As for Kate Daniels,these are really good books. Havent read Magic slays yet because its not on download in UK yet but cant wait to read it. Shes a great character and the stories are really good. I cant stand a lot of urban fantasy but series like this and Kim Harrisons Hollows are the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by msaerfen View Post
    same here, are there any new books in either Castor or Pitt series to come out?
    The Pitt series is complete. There is SUPPOSED to be a 6th Felix Castor book out at the end of this year, but I don't know how firm that is.

We seem to have similar tastes. I also like the Hollows series a lot. That gives me hope that I'll appreciate Kate Daniels more if I do try the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    The Pitt series is complete. There is SUPPOSED to be a 6th Felix Castor book out at the end of this year, but I don't know how firm that is.

We seem to have similar tastes. I also like the Hollows series a lot. That gives me hope that I'll appreciate Kate Daniels more if I do try the next one.
    A series you might want to consider trying is the Connor Grey series by Mark del Franco. At times it gets a bit slow paced and a bit dull, but I think you might enjoy quite a bit of what it has to offer particularly if you enjoy a combination of political drama, procedurals, and a epic battle from time to time.

It's currently one of my favorite UFs, even though I didn't care much for the first book. I thought books 2-4 were really good for me though.
    Last edited by Bastard; July 9th, 2011 at 01:59 PM.

I've read a little bit about those, and they look interesting. Unfortunately, I do almost all my "reading" on audio, and none of them are available in audio format. But I see that the first chapters of those books are available on Franco's own web site, so I may check them out!

There's some not-so-good news on the next Magic book[Kate 6], the authors have blogged about it and this is what they had to say:
    "We don’t really know when Kate 6 will be released. It’s not written yet, and typically I would say “May of next year,” however we’re hitting a storyline snag. For the timeline to make sense, we need Andrea/Raphael spin-off to happen before Kate 6 takes place."

I hope we get more news soon about this as I'm sure there are many fans(like me) who are awaiting Kate 6 to see what happens next after the terrific Magic Slays.

Mihir

If you like the Kate novels you should probably check out Andrews' new series "On the edge". It's a paranormal (?) romance series as well. It is quite elaborated regarding the magical setting, same as Kate Daniels, sporting kick-ass heroines and Flavio Type heroes, fun to read, fast pacing action, easy to be absorbed and drawn into. A nice treat after serious reading. Another author you could check out is G. A. Aikens "Dragon" series. Very funny, heavy on the erotic side, slipping into the more conventional sword and sorcery "fantasy" mode in the last two installments. Definatetely worth a read if you like to know that's just the thing to relax and have fun.

I've read On the Edge, and it's certainly not a book to recommend someone who has simply enjoyed Kate Daniels. The interest of the series is on the romance aspects and it's not nearly as kickass as Kate Daniels is.

@Mihir I really don't care much about a Andrea/Raphael spin-off. Seems like a waste to me, but we'll see. If anything I'd prefer a Julie one. Regardless, I hope we get too some more Kate sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by Bastard; August 5th, 2011 at 09:37 AM.

There was already an Andrea/Raphael short story. I really didn't like it. So the notion of a full novel is unappealing to me also.

Dali's short story was very good, maybe even excellent.

Its been a while since I've read the last Kate Daniels book, but thus far I have been enjoying the series. I have to agree that the first book portrayed Kate as a bit too much of a badass, but subsequent books have been an improvement. I'm eager to find out more about Kate's history and mysterious father that she is intent on killing. The romance part really doesn't do much for me (not much of a romance genre lover although the wife is always reading Harlequins (bah - smut books, lol)), so I don't know if 'On the Edge' would be for me...

OK, Ilona Andrews posted yesterday that there will be no Kate Daniels next year, but as assumed before, there will be a spin-off featuring Andrea. Kate Daniels will return in February 2013.
    http://www.ilona-andrews.com/2011/08...o-mass-market/

There's a brand new free Beast Lord & Kate Daniels novella, called Magic Gifts that is only available for download over the next two weeks,

http://www.ilona-andrews.com/2011/12...rry-christmas/

It will be available later as part of Gunmetal Magic, Andrea's book. But why wait?

Thank you AmethystOrator!