Thread: No Chance

No Chance

Wife just started book 1, you know, because some of her facebook friends like the TV show (we dont have hbo) and one or two liked the books. Ha. I cant recall her ever reading a fantasy book in her life, and while she has watched TV shows in the fantasy genre (such as Heroes) I cant recall her reading any book at all with anything close to the complexity of SoIaF. Dont get me wrong, I loved SoIaF but I just dont see it as some massive bridge to between fantasy and the masses, and she is pretty much the masses, at least in this context.

I was chuckling to myself at her interest, but I figured let her spend the money, maybe I'll reread it myself.

Hope I'm wrong, but I see no chance...

Have faith, man. Content is king.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    Have faith, man. Content is king.
    Indeed. ArtNJ may have to change his forum name to Dr. Frankenstein, as he may have just created a fantasy fiction monster.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
    Wife just started book 1, you know, because some of her facebook friends like the TV show (we dont have hbo) and one or two liked the books. Ha. I cant recall her ever reading a fantasy book in her life, and while she has watched TV shows in the fantasy genre (such as Heroes) I cant recall her reading any book at all with anything close to the complexity of SoIaF. Dont get me wrong, I loved SoIaF but I just dont see it as some massive bridge to between fantasy and the masses, and she is pretty much the masses, at least in this context.

I was chuckling to myself at her interest, but I figured let her spend the money, maybe I'll reread it myself.

Hope I'm wrong, but I see no chance...
    Wait, now fantasy isn't mainstream, commercial hogwash for the masses that any idiot could read? Well that blows the whole thing out of the water.

George is fairly good at this. He wrote for Beauty and the Beast, a fantasy t.v. show that had a fair number of female fans. So don't count him out yet.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    George is fairly good at this. He wrote for Beauty and the Beast, a fantasy t.v. show that had a fair number of female fans.
    I loved that show. When I was first considering reading his ASoIaF series, I looked him up on the web and saw his credits from that show. I went out and bought the books (AFfC had just been released).

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    Indeed. ArtNJ may have to change his forum name to Dr. Frankenstein, as he may have just created a fantasy fiction monster.
    It was a fairly pointless post I guess. I was bored.

Not a troll post though, as I do think it is sort of interesting that GRRM is grabbing some mainstream love. If my wife actually likes it, it will be a sign of something. Not necessarily the apocholypse, but something.

I would love it it my wife followed your wife's example. Sadly she won't touch fantasy with a ten foot pole (or even 39 and a half).

Quote Originally Posted by Seak View Post
    I would love it it my wife followed your wife's example. Sadly she won't touch fantasy with a ten foot pole (or even 39 and a half).
    Oh, now, there are ways. That is, if she reads fiction. If not, it's easier to get them into a t.v. series. If she reads fiction, try looking into titles like these:

Tea with the Black Dragon by R.A. MacAvoy
    Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susannah Clarke
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    Kindred by Octavia Butler
    A Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin
    Little, Big by John Crowley
    White Apples by Jonathan Carroll
    Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman
    The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue

The historical fiction readers are the easiest to corrupt, but there are always books that will work.

I was going to say that while women aren't seen as being into fantasy, a number of them like historical fiction, which tends to be long, complex, and have lots of politics.

For some women, A Song of Ice and Fire might be a great jumping on place.c.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    About 8 or 9 of my friends just recently read the books, because of the HBO show. Every single one of them LOVED the books. However, I kept doubting that any of them would be able to remember all the characters or grasp all the complexities of the plot. Turns out I was wrong.

So... don't be too quick to judge.

I've tried so hard. She even thought Outlander was too much fantasy and I hear it's all but non-existent. I'll give it a go with some of those you suggested, Kat. Tanks a million.

So she was getting through like 10 pages a day saying "well, I'll give it some more time to grab me" or "who are all these people again?" and I thought, here we go again, sadly proven right...only over the holiday weekend she reported "starting to get into it now" and has started reading bigger chunks, up to page 250 now.

Re-reading book one myself now (after re-reading book 4), and realizing that Martin's skill at making diverse characters and their individual stories shine gives the book appeal for a fairly broad base.

This is literally the first fantasy I can recall her reading.

He, he, he. If she cries out "No!" when she gets to Ned's fate, she may well be hooked for the whole series.

My husband is reading Game of Thrones after having seen and loved the first season of the t.v. series. He's astonished at how closely the t.v. show hewed to the book.