Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommendations for Picky Reader

I've always been a very picky with what I read. I love reading but I have read so little it's ridiculous and at times embarrassing when I say "I love reading" and people list tons of books that assume I've read.

My main interest has always been scifi and I prefer outer space adventures but I can enjoy some earth-base scifi books. I love the use of cloning, cyborgs, super power characters with special abilities, duels/sword fighting/combat, space/epic battles.

I can't seem to get into fantasy, no matter how hard I try. I've attempted to read C.S. Lewis's space trilogy several times but I can't get past chapter 8 before getting seriously bored. I thought Ender's game would be an excellent novel for me but the main character(and others around him) are too young for me to make it believable. A ton of 5-10 years old battling, running around and attempting to save the galaxy is weak to me. I like to see character backgrounds and mysteries of their past. These characters have like no past.

I've even tried to read EU novels from favorite films or fandoms but they are so badly written. I've wasted alot of money on novels, but I love to read yet I can't find anything.

I need some recommendations and here are some specifics I know will keep my interest.
    I've noticed alot of older fiction, like 1930's to the 90's I can't get into. The books seem so limited when they shouldn't be and in a sense I understand cause there wasn't a lot about scifi known as there has been in the last 2 decades.
    -So anything from the mid-90's to the present(2011) should be ok for me.
    -I like the use of clones, resurrections(nothing graphic), cyborgs, super powered/special ability characters, telepathic connections, bonds between characters...etc
    -For a series, focusing on the original characters from the first novel
    -A series set, trilogy or more.
    -Limited on the romance. (I hate when the romance/character relation dominates the story/adventure.)

I do also have an interest in ancient cultures, so if there is some scifi like or mythology book or book series that takes place in the ancient culture or futuristic with ancient culture style, then that's good too.

I appreciate the help anyone gives me with finding something to read

ETA: Also wanted to add anything with alternate dimensions/universe/realities.
    Last edited by Jade1157; July 7th, 2011 at 04:45 PM.

Locked in the Golden Cage HellsGuardian's Avatar
    Hrm how about...
    The Culture series by Ian M. Banks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_series

i.e Excession or Consider Phlebias. They're all independent but set within the same universe and often not too long from eachother.

Or some works by Peter F. Hamilton
    i.e the Nights Dawn trilogy (The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist, The Naked God)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night%27s_Dawn_Trilogy

or the Void trilogy (The Dreaming Void, The Temporal Void, The Evolutionary Void)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Void_Trilogy

Just a few off the top of my sleep deprived head

That's a broad list of requests.

I agree with the recommendation for Iain M Banks and reading this...

Quote Originally Posted by Jade1157 View Post
    I do also have an interest in ancient cultures, so if there is some scifi like or mythology book or book series that takes place in the ancient culture or futuristic with ancient culture style, then that's good too.
    ..I'd say one of his recent books, Matter, should work well for you.

I could recommend Hyperion by Dan Simmons also. Although I didn't enjoy it that much myself many people seem to and it fits your criteria reasonably well.

I'd like to second the Peter Hamilton reccomendation. I am reading the Night's Dawn series now. I really loved Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained. Very vivid characters, great action, and some of the characters have body mods/implants so they are basically superpowered.

I know you want to stay away from some of the older stuff because it is dated, but if you like space expolration and ailien first contact check out Mote in God's Eye by niven and Pournell. Or Legacy of Hereot and Beowulf's Children by Niven, Pourell and Barnes. A great couple of novels about colonizing a planet.

Jim

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    For cloning, space battles, likable hero, adventures and mystery: the Miles Vorkossigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. Possibly with an introduction through Falling Free - a prequel with some relation to next novels, but with different characters.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    I could be reading the OP wrong but I suspect that IMB and Hyperion are going to be too heavyweight for Jade1157's taste.

I would suggest checking out the Baen Free Library (David Weber etc) to get a taste of the mil-sf on offer. I think Algernoninc's recommendation of the Vorkosigan Saga is on the money too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuffalump View Post
    I would suggest checking out the Baen Free Library (David Weber etc) to get a taste of the mil-sf on offer. I think Algernoninc's recommendation of the Vorkosigan Saga is on the money too.
    Weber's military sci-fi isn't heavyweight? It's like an encyclopaedia of technobabble at times.

I'd warily suggest Moon's Ky Vatta series, but it really doesn't seem to fit most of the criteria.

I would third the Peter Hamilton reccomendation. I would suggest starting with Pandora's star/Judas Unchained, which seems to fit most of the criteria.

If ancient culture is your thing you could try Ilium/Olympos from Dan Simmonds. A mixture of sci fi and ancient greek Gods, I mush preferred it to Hyperion and found it an easier read.

Alfred Bester - The Stars My Destination
    Richard Morgan - Takeshi Kovacs
    Jack Vance - Planet of Adventure, Demon Princes

Picky reader

Try Jack L. Chalker. In particular, the Well of Souls series. (But only if you don't need complete resolution.)
    Also "Glory Road" by RHH is a nice, self contained hero tale.

Quote Originally Posted by dheiner View Post
    Try Jack L. Chalker. In particular, the Well of Souls series. (But only if you don't need complete resolution.)
    Also "Glory Road" by RHH is a nice, self contained hero tale.
    Wow! Someone else that remembers Chalker fondly! I think we are rare birds around here. As a teen I *loved* Chalker, though I eventually wondered wth was wrong with him that in *every* single book a male character needed to get body switched into a female body. The series were all different, very creative, but that element was always there. They are pure science-fantasy, with no real attempt at being true science fiction, but I remember them fondly for their creativity and adventure.

Having completed my random aside, OP, dont feel bad about not liking Ender's Game, I gave it a 3 star review myself for the same reasons you stated.

I can also recommend the previously recommened Hamilton's space opera, Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained. I believe someone recommended his other space opera, Neutronium Alchemist, which is also great, if you can get past the wierd premise and the violence.
    Last edited by ArtNJ; July 8th, 2011 at 10:57 AM.

Way Too Human
    As others have said, Peter F. Hamilton.

Add:

Alastair Reynolds Revelation Space novels.

Anything by Neal Asher.

Quote Originally Posted by algernoninc View Post
    For cloning, space battles, likable hero, adventures and mystery: the Miles Vorkossigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. Possibly with an introduction through Falling Free - a prequel with some relation to next novels, but with different characters.
    If you can handle e-books you can get the series real cheap.

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/2...rnCD/index.htm

Reviews:

http://www.lunch.com/reviews/d/UserR..._McMaster.html

http://www.lunch.com/reviews/d/UserR..._M_Bujold.html

psik

Quote Originally Posted by Chuffalump View Post
    I could be reading the OP wrong but I suspect that IMB and Hyperion are going to be too heavyweight for Jade1157's taste.

I second David Weber's Honor Harrington series. It meets much of your criterion and can be found at Baen's Free Library. http://www.webscription.net/c-1-free-library.aspx On Basilisk Station is the first: http://www.webscription.net/p-304-on...k-station.aspx

Definitely recommend the weber safehold series starting with Off Armageddon Reef. Be prepared for overly heavy duty weaponry descriptions. Mixes religion and sea battles and man vs. man.

But try Zelazny's Amber series for dipping into fantasy. You might like the Trump cards communication among the royal family. One or two books go a little far out there with chaos etc. But good family rivalry. I've read every roger z. novel.

Honor Harrington series are very good but I find the space ships must be the worst looking ships ever conceived. If you watched any of the str trek series you'll see weber needs an artist!!!
    Last edited by Floydman625; July 11th, 2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added HH series