Deana Zhollis

Single Name Fantasy Novel

Okay. So I remember very little. It was a single name novel--the name of the actual character. I remember it was really, really, really thick hardback novel with a wonderful, beautiful silver and purple cover with a woman's face on it. She was very, very white/pale. She might have had something in her hair, but not quite a tiara (?); flowers maybe (?).

She's a slave girl, or became a slave girl and for some reason throughout the book, she's the only one who knows how to swim. I remember a scene where she jumped into a still lake and the people on shore started screaming at her to get out, and she, of course, thought they just didn't know how to swim like her, but she came out and felt stinging, and there were leeches all over her. It was a funny scene. And the only scene that's vivid in my mind.

I think her fellow friend/slave was African American that she met when enslaved. I think this Black character took on some gruesome sexual project with somebody with authority in place of the main character (?) dealing with rods or toys? Not sure. Which got this authority figure to do something that they wanted.

I think the main girl had to learn how to dance or learn some slave/sex trade. Not sure. I might be mixing that part up with some other novel.

The book, I think was titled with a "C" or "S"...I could be wrong here, but it was her name which was given to her--her slave name(?). And it wasn't a very long name, maybe 5 or 6 characters long? Not sure.

It's definitely not any of the Gor novels, for certain.

Is it Maia by Richard Adams?

EDIT: This might be the cover you're thinking of.

Deana Zhollis
    OH! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!! Yes! That's it!! I don't know where I thought it began with a "C" or "S". YES! It's Maia! My goodness! I didn't think I provided enough information at all. I so glad I gave it a shot. WOW!

Yes. Maia. That's it! Now I have to buy it again.

Thank you so much!

You might also be interested in Shardik, which was written before Maia but takes place later in the history of the same world.

Deana Zhollis
    Yes, I saw that when I went to rebuy the book. I might take a look at it, but I really sure this book is big enough and I had loved the story.

thanks DailyRich

Thanks DailyRich! When I was reading the request I totally forgot I read this novel, loved it, and I couldn't remember the name either! Thanks again!