View Poll Results: Thoughts on the scene?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heart Wrenching! How could GRRM do this to me!

20 46.51%
  • I'm sad, but mostly because GreyWind was so cool!

12 27.91%
  • Rob and Cat, meh. They had it coming.

5 11.63%
  • Didn't really care.

3 6.98%
  • I still soil myself whenever I think back to that moment.

6 13.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Reaction to "THAT" scene in Storm of Swords [SPOILERS!!]

What was your reaction?
    (Spoilers if you haven't read all the books!)

This may have been done before. Just want to see some funny, emotional, surprising, anything reaction you guys got from this scene. I've seen some stuff online of people at work reading it in the breakroom, and throw their book and say "F*k that" and walk out leaving the book behind. lol

Personally mine wasn't that eventful. I did have to put the book down. Sit
    there and think for a minute.

"Did that really just happen?"
    Spoiler:
    "Did I just read that right? My favorite person to become King and hopefully together with Daenerys ...just died?"
    "The most logical thinking person in this series, Cat, just got her throat cut. WTF!!"
    Last edited by chris777; July 15th, 2011 at 11:16 AM.

I think I kinda hoped there was some trick to it. Like by the end I was gonna find out Rob didb't really die.

Then, when I read about them grafting the wolf's head to his body, I knew it was for real and began thirsting for revenge.

As for Catalyn, she's far from the most logical person, in my opinion. It's no mistake that GRRM named her Catalyst(n). She's the cause of just about every bad thing that happens in the beginning:

She makes Ned go to King's Landing though his instincts tell him not to.

She's mean to Jon Snow and causes Ned to send him to the Wall.

She uses Littlefinger mercilessly when young, emotionally scarring him and causing him to become who he is today.

She kidnaps Tyrion and causes the war that destroys the North and the Seven Kingdoms.

She releases Jaime, all for the selfish pursuit of getting her daughters back, even though many others have lost loved ones also and her son's bannermen want his death. This also causes his grip on his alliance to loosen, with Karstark being killed, Roose Bolton betraying him and the Frey's killing him.

She brings Tyrion to the Eyrie, bringing the Vale into conflict, bringing the singer to her sister and allowing Tyrion to recruit clansmen to the Lannister cause.

I rather liked it. I think GRRM should have spent more time making Rob a likable character to give the scene a bit more of an emotional impact. I hate to say it, but many members of the Stark family strike me as too-stupid-to-live, and Rob was definitely one of them.

I don't think Ned would have ruined an alliance during a war because he slept with someone other than his wife-to-be.

Sorry forgot to put spoilers on this originally.

I think I kinda hoped there was some trick to it. Like by the end I was gonna find out Rob didb't really die.

Then, when I read about them grafting the wolf's head to his body, I knew it was for real
    Yup same. I had to read over a couple places a few times to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by hippokrene View Post
    I rather liked it. I think GRRM should have spent more time making Rob a likable character to give the scene a bit more of an emotional impact. I hate to say it, but many members of the Stark family strike me as too-stupid-to-live, and Rob was definitely one of them.

I don't think Ned would have ruined an alliance during a war because he slept with someone other than his wife-to-be.
    Ya that was very immature. He felt obligated to marry her because they had sex? He needed to realize he had more larger obligations. I was a big fan of his though. Or I should say, I was a huge fan of Greywind. That probably upset me more than anything.

I don't really try to avoid spoilers, so I knew it was coming in some form. From that perspective, I very much appreciated how masterfully GRRM plots his way to it. He earned the reaction.

I was sort of spoiled beforehand that something bad was going to happen, but I was always under the impression that it was going to occur during Joffrey's wedding so when the moment came it was really quite shocking to me. Joffrey's wedding certainly had it's moment though.

Angry He killed a GUEST under his roof, and that the Gods cannot forgive.

I was shocked. Horrified and sad, a bit, but mostly shocked. The Freys broke a major taboo at the Red Wedding.

As GRRM foreshadowed with the Rat Cook children's tale.

Yes, House Lannister was an accomplice, but only behind the scenes, and they are a Great House, too powerful at that point to become a focus of popular/political/religous loathing. The Freys, though - just an upstart minor House who have commited a loathsome public crime. Worse than cannibalism in Westerosi culture, if the Rat Cook fable is any guide.

I'm really, really, really looking forward to their brutal karmic payback the moment another powerful group takes an opportunity to kill Freys and take their stuff (to the sound of popular applause).

Quote Originally Posted by oasis seeker View Post

Then, when I read about them grafting the wolf's head to his body, I knew it was for real and began thirsting for revenge.

As for Catalyn, she's far from the most logical person, in my opinion. It's no mistake that GRRM named her Catalyst(n). She's the cause of just about every bad thing that happens in the beginning:

She makes Ned go to King's Landing though his instincts tell him not to.

She's mean to Jon Snow and causes Ned to send him to the Wall.

She uses Littlefinger mercilessly when young, emotionally scarring him and causing him to become who he is today.

She kidnaps Tyrion and causes the war that destroys the North and the Seven Kingdoms.

She releases Jaime, all for the selfish pursuit of getting her daughters back, even though many others have lost loved ones also and her son's bannermen want his death. This also causes his grip on his alliance to loosen, with Karstark being killed, Roose Bolton betraying him and the Frey's killing him.

She brings Tyrion to the Eyrie, bringing the Vale into conflict, bringing the singer to her sister and allowing Tyrion to recruit clansmen to the Lannister cause.
    All this, very much.

Also:
    • Cat failing to negotiate seriously with Renly. Offering submission-in-name-only to Renly could have ended the war very quickly and on outrageously favourable terms. And was far from unprecedented.
    • Cat NOT berating Robb for breaching a sworn oath, or ordering him to repudiate the marriage. Or resurrect polygny. Yes, Robb did the wrong thing, but he was a fifteen year old boy, in a war for the first time, responsible for thousands of lives, who just found out his brothers have been murdered (according to reports...). Cat is a supposedly mature woman, raised in a ruling Great House and Lady of Winterfell for 17 years. NO excuse there.
    • Finally, Cat murdering defenseless Jinglebell.

Every bad thing that happened to House Stark has her failures and follies printed all over it; and her last living act was to lower House Stark/Tully to the level of its enemies.

I hope UnCat falls into a well and slowly rots, along with the whole Brotherhood Of Anomie.

My opinion falls somewhere between option 1 and 2 on the poll. I wouldn't quite describe it as heart wrenching, but I was shocked and a bit dismayed by the outcome.

For me, it was more about Catelyn than Robb. Robb always seemed like a secondary character (did he ever have a POV chapter in the series?), so it wasn't that big of a deal. But Catelyn I found an interesting read; I liked her POV chapters, even if some of her decisions made me shake my head.

I really like Robb so it was quite of horrifying for me when he died so suddenly.

"Dime Store Rock"
    I've been surprised in this series before, even mad, but this made me angry. Robb was my favorite character, even though I don't think he ever had his own chapter. I was hoping, and believing that he would win the war and have children of his own.

At the same time, this is a big reason why I love GRRM and one of the main reasons I decided to pick up the first book after reading dozens of reviews of the series: He isn't afraid to make you love a character and then kill them off. It keeps you on your toes, you're never sure what will happen next. Most authors keep their main protaginist alive no matter how bad it looks, which to me takes alot of the suspense away.

P.S. I just finished ASoS fifteen minutes ago. I've been waiting awhile to read this thread and see which of the many crazy scenes was being talked about.

I am sad when I read the scene. I like Robb as a character. I do not like the fact that he died so young.

Looking back, I didn't react with the shock that I perhaps might have. I remember just putting the book down and going "Oh **** that was so cool!", which I'm not sure was the reaction that GRRM intended haha.

I was a bit sad about Robb's death. I thought he would have more story, so I was quite shocked. And he wasn't a character I really cared deeply for anyway. But I was more horrified to find out what they did to his body.

I already knew Catelyn would die and be tossed in a river, what with the "woman who is a fish" prophecy, and since I didn't really care that much about her character anyway, I was just 'meh' about her death. I was more pissed off about what she did in the moments beforehand.

For me, the saddest part of the Red Wedding was when Cat killed Jinglebell. He was just a half-wit fool. She only killed him after they killed Robb anyway, so why not just make a leap for Lord Frey? Sure, he's going to die soon anyway, being super-old, but at least he's of more importance than Jinglebell. And in the time that ASOIAF is set, most people wouldn't care about people like Jinglebell - especially the Freys, who have heaps of spares anyway.

Unlisted Option 6 - I thought it was an excellent bit of storytelling. Suddenly "obvious hero of the series guy" is, um, not any more, which really makes you look at some of the other characters a bit harder IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by stormborn View Post
    I already knew Catelyn would die and be tossed in a river, what with the "woman who is a fish" prophecy.
    That's just a reference to her originally being a Tully (their heraldry is a leaping trout) surely?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    That's just a reference to her originally being a Tully (their heraldry is a leaping trout) surely?
    The fish part is, definitely. The full prophecy is:
    I dreamt of a roaring river, and a woman who was a fish. Dead she drifted, with red tears on her cheeks, but when her eyes did open, oh, I woke from terror.
    I knew it'd have to be a Tully, but Lysa didn't seem very likely, so I figured it was Cat. So it didn't come as a surprise to me when she was killed.