View Poll Results: Thoughts on the scene?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heart Wrenching! How could GRRM do this to me!

20 46.51%
  • I'm sad, but mostly because GreyWind was so cool!

12 27.91%
  • Rob and Cat, meh. They had it coming.

5 11.63%
  • Didn't really care.

3 6.98%
  • I still soil myself whenever I think back to that moment.

6 13.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reaction to "THAT" scene in Storm of Swords [SPOILERS!!]

What was your reaction?
    (Spoilers if you haven't read all the books!)

This may have been done before. Just want to see some funny, emotional, surprising, anything reaction you guys got from this scene. I've seen some stuff online of people at work reading it in the breakroom, and throw their book and say "F*k that" and walk out leaving the book behind. lol

Personally mine wasn't that eventful. I did have to put the book down. Sit
    there and think for a minute.

"Did that really just happen?"
    Spoiler:
    "Did I just read that right? My favorite person to become King and hopefully together with Daenerys ...just died?"
    "The most logical thinking person in this series, Cat, just got her throat cut. WTF!!"
    Last edited by chris777; July 15th, 2011 at 11:16 AM.

I think I kinda hoped there was some trick to it. Like by the end I was gonna find out Rob didb't really die.

Then, when I read about them grafting the wolf's head to his body, I knew it was for real and began thirsting for revenge.

As for Catalyn, she's far from the most logical person, in my opinion. It's no mistake that GRRM named her Catalyst(n). She's the cause of just about every bad thing that happens in the beginning:

She makes Ned go to King's Landing though his instincts tell him not to.

She's mean to Jon Snow and causes Ned to send him to the Wall.

She uses Littlefinger mercilessly when young, emotionally scarring him and causing him to become who he is today.

She kidnaps Tyrion and causes the war that destroys the North and the Seven Kingdoms.

She releases Jaime, all for the selfish pursuit of getting her daughters back, even though many others have lost loved ones also and her son's bannermen want his death. This also causes his grip on his alliance to loosen, with Karstark being killed, Roose Bolton betraying him and the Frey's killing him.

She brings Tyrion to the Eyrie, bringing the Vale into conflict, bringing the singer to her sister and allowing Tyrion to recruit clansmen to the Lannister cause.

I rather liked it. I think GRRM should have spent more time making Rob a likable character to give the scene a bit more of an emotional impact. I hate to say it, but many members of the Stark family strike me as too-stupid-to-live, and Rob was definitely one of them.

I don't think Ned would have ruined an alliance during a war because he slept with someone other than his wife-to-be.

Sorry forgot to put spoilers on this originally.

I think I kinda hoped there was some trick to it. Like by the end I was gonna find out Rob didb't really die.

Then, when I read about them grafting the wolf's head to his body, I knew it was for real
    Yup same. I had to read over a couple places a few times to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by hippokrene View Post
    I rather liked it. I think GRRM should have spent more time making Rob a likable character to give the scene a bit more of an emotional impact. I hate to say it, but many members of the Stark family strike me as too-stupid-to-live, and Rob was definitely one of them.

I don't think Ned would have ruined an alliance during a war because he slept with someone other than his wife-to-be.
    Ya that was very immature. He felt obligated to marry her because they had sex? He needed to realize he had more larger obligations. I was a big fan of his though. Or I should say, I was a huge fan of Greywind. That probably upset me more than anything.

I don't really try to avoid spoilers, so I knew it was coming in some form. From that perspective, I very much appreciated how masterfully GRRM plots his way to it. He earned the reaction.

I was sort of spoiled beforehand that something bad was going to happen, but I was always under the impression that it was going to occur during Joffrey's wedding so when the moment came it was really quite shocking to me. Joffrey's wedding certainly had it's moment though.

Analyze That
    Oddly, I think I reacted more strongly to Joffrey's wedding. The Red Wedding was one thing, but then when Joffrey started to choke and die, my thoughts were, "Wait, you're doing this again at another wedding?!!! This is insane!!!"

However, the re-read made me want to cry every time I read a Robb scene in Storm of Swords. He could have been such a good king if he was given more time and experience. And Catelyn's crooning about how he was her only son and all she had left wasn't helping matters either. In some ways I feel worse for what Catelyn had to go through during the Red Wedding. Her fate seems much worse than simply dying.

None of the poll options really capture how I felt. I was just completely stunned. That scene made me re-evaluate the whole series and its direction. It was as if GRRM had suddenly flung the doors open all the way and I could finally see the bigger picture, and it was nothing like I had imagined it would be.

I think that's one of the things I especially like about Martin: he is a master of misdirection. His books are full of red herrings - insofar as characters, plots and histories etc. go.

Having just recently finished a re-read of Storm of Swords, I was surprised by how much went down in the last half of the book, on top of the Red Wedding. You've got Joffrey's death, Jon being elevated to Lord Commander, Dany banishing Jorah and discovering Arstan's identity, Tyrion killing Shae AND his father, Petyr shoving Lysa out the Moon Door, and the reveal of Zombie Cat. It's a whirlwind.

Pure anger. I thought Catelyn was a complete moron and Rob an unlucky adolescent given far too much responsibility far too soon, and to see them pay so dearly, after Ned already copped it in AGOT, it was infuriating. The Stark's have had so much bad luck this series. It also served as a strong reminder of something I had forgotten during ACOK; in ASOIAF, everyone is vulnerable.

I think the duel between The Red Viper and Gregor Clegane was a far more memorable, powerful scene though, while we're on this subject. And what transpired at the Red Wedding served to make it all the more intense, since it forced me to be genuinely concerned for the well being of my favourite character in the series, Tyrion. Without the Red Wedding, it wouldn't have been the same.
    Last edited by TooNice; July 22nd, 2011 at 10:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    The thing that bothered me most about the Red Wedding when I read it was not so much Robb and Catalyn, it was Arya. She's my favorite character of the bunch, and I was pretty upset. Fortunately, I kept reading...

My opinion falls somewhere between option 1 and 2 on the poll. I wouldn't quite describe it as heart wrenching, but I was shocked and a bit dismayed by the outcome.

For me, it was more about Catelyn than Robb. Robb always seemed like a secondary character (did he ever have a POV chapter in the series?), so it wasn't that big of a deal. But Catelyn I found an interesting read; I liked her POV chapters, even if some of her decisions made me shake my head.

I really like Robb so it was quite of horrifying for me when he died so suddenly.

"Dime Store Rock"
    I've been surprised in this series before, even mad, but this made me angry. Robb was my favorite character, even though I don't think he ever had his own chapter. I was hoping, and believing that he would win the war and have children of his own.

At the same time, this is a big reason why I love GRRM and one of the main reasons I decided to pick up the first book after reading dozens of reviews of the series: He isn't afraid to make you love a character and then kill them off. It keeps you on your toes, you're never sure what will happen next. Most authors keep their main protaginist alive no matter how bad it looks, which to me takes alot of the suspense away.

P.S. I just finished ASoS fifteen minutes ago. I've been waiting awhile to read this thread and see which of the many crazy scenes was being talked about.