View Poll Results: Thoughts on the scene?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heart Wrenching! How could GRRM do this to me!

20 46.51%
  • I'm sad, but mostly because GreyWind was so cool!

12 27.91%
  • Rob and Cat, meh. They had it coming.

5 11.63%
  • Didn't really care.

3 6.98%
  • I still soil myself whenever I think back to that moment.

6 13.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was a bit sad about Robb's death. I thought he would have more story, so I was quite shocked. And he wasn't a character I really cared deeply for anyway. But I was more horrified to find out what they did to his body.

I already knew Catelyn would die and be tossed in a river, what with the "woman who is a fish" prophecy, and since I didn't really care that much about her character anyway, I was just 'meh' about her death. I was more pissed off about what she did in the moments beforehand.

For me, the saddest part of the Red Wedding was when Cat killed Jinglebell. He was just a half-wit fool. She only killed him after they killed Robb anyway, so why not just make a leap for Lord Frey? Sure, he's going to die soon anyway, being super-old, but at least he's of more importance than Jinglebell. And in the time that ASOIAF is set, most people wouldn't care about people like Jinglebell - especially the Freys, who have heaps of spares anyway.

Unlisted Option 6 - I thought it was an excellent bit of storytelling. Suddenly "obvious hero of the series guy" is, um, not any more, which really makes you look at some of the other characters a bit harder IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by stormborn View Post
    I already knew Catelyn would die and be tossed in a river, what with the "woman who is a fish" prophecy.
    That's just a reference to her originally being a Tully (their heraldry is a leaping trout) surely?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    That's just a reference to her originally being a Tully (their heraldry is a leaping trout) surely?
    The fish part is, definitely. The full prophecy is:
    I dreamt of a roaring river, and a woman who was a fish. Dead she drifted, with red tears on her cheeks, but when her eyes did open, oh, I woke from terror.
    I knew it'd have to be a Tully, but Lysa didn't seem very likely, so I figured it was Cat. So it didn't come as a surprise to me when she was killed.

Right, got you. I'd forgotten that bit.

That is clearly more than just a reference to her being a Tully. Kind of spooky really.

"Dime Store Rock"
    Quote Originally Posted by stormborn View Post
    The fish part is, definitely. The full prophecy is:
    I dreamt of a roaring river, and a woman who was a fish. Dead she drifted, with red tears on her cheeks, but when her eyes did open, oh, I woke from terror.
    I knew it'd have to be a Tully, but Lysa didn't seem very likely, so I figured it was Cat. So it didn't come as a surprise to me when she was killed.

Great prophecy

Have to catch it when I do a re-read.

I was a Stark fan, but in a way this scene is what ended my love affair with them.

See... I had little sympathy for Catelyn anyway. She's okay as a character, but she just wound me up with her attitude at times, and a lot of her later chapters basically became "i am sad i only have robb now and he has that queen and i am miserable and i dont like this" - justified, sure, but it just got dull. I think Robb also brought it on himself. Maybe he didn't deserve what he got, but it was pretty clear from the start that the Freys are not to be messed around with (particularly Lord Frey himself) and when Robb did what he did? Well, it's his own fault in a way.

I'm just glad it means an end to chapters of battle plans and lots of characters whose names I forgot

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    I was a Stark fan, but in a way this scene is what ended my love affair with them.

See... I had little sympathy for Catelyn anyway. She's okay as a character, but she just wound me up with her attitude at times, and a lot of her later chapters basically became "i am sad i only have robb now and he has that queen and i am miserable and i dont like this" - justified, sure, but it just got dull. I think Robb also brought it on himself. Maybe he didn't deserve what he got, but it was pretty clear from the start that the Freys are not to be messed around with (particularly Lord Frey himself) and when Robb did what he did? Well, it's his own fault in a way.

I'm just glad it means an end to chapters of battle plans and lots of characters whose names I forgot
    I'm so glad someone else out there agrees with me.

Way Too Human
    Well, I finally got to this part of the book. I had accidentally exposed myself to a spoiler for this scene, however I still knew very little. The whole scene shocked me, however inevitable. Although he could manage and army and win battles, he wasn't good at playing the game of thrones. Catelyn, however, is (was) very cabable, which I think is part of the reason people don't like her. She just couldn't convice Robb to do what he needed to do. He was like his father in that respect.

With that said, Robb was cursed by Stannis, so was his death really solely as a result of his actions or as a result of some deadly magic? I have read up to Edric's escape. At that point the three cursed kings are dead, so the curse seems valid to me.

Angry He killed a GUEST under his roof, and that the Gods cannot forgive.

I was shocked. Horrified and sad, a bit, but mostly shocked. The Freys broke a major taboo at the Red Wedding.

As GRRM foreshadowed with the Rat Cook children's tale.

Yes, House Lannister was an accomplice, but only behind the scenes, and they are a Great House, too powerful at that point to become a focus of popular/political/religous loathing. The Freys, though - just an upstart minor House who have commited a loathsome public crime. Worse than cannibalism in Westerosi culture, if the Rat Cook fable is any guide.

I'm really, really, really looking forward to their brutal karmic payback the moment another powerful group takes an opportunity to kill Freys and take their stuff (to the sound of popular applause).

Quote Originally Posted by oasis seeker View Post
    I think I kinda hoped there was some trick to it. Like by the end I was gonna find out Rob didb't really die.

Then, when I read about them grafting the wolf's head to his body, I knew it was for real and began thirsting for revenge.

As for Catalyn, she's far from the most logical person, in my opinion. It's no mistake that GRRM named her Catalyst(n). She's the cause of just about every bad thing that happens in the beginning:

She makes Ned go to King's Landing though his instincts tell him not to.

She's mean to Jon Snow and causes Ned to send him to the Wall.

She uses Littlefinger mercilessly when young, emotionally scarring him and causing him to become who he is today.

She kidnaps Tyrion and causes the war that destroys the North and the Seven Kingdoms.

She releases Jaime, all for the selfish pursuit of getting her daughters back, even though many others have lost loved ones also and her son's bannermen want his death. This also causes his grip on his alliance to loosen, with Karstark being killed, Roose Bolton betraying him and the Frey's killing him.

She brings Tyrion to the Eyrie, bringing the Vale into conflict, bringing the singer to her sister and allowing Tyrion to recruit clansmen to the Lannister cause.
    All this, very much.

Also:
    • Cat failing to negotiate seriously with Renly. Offering submission-in-name-only to Renly could have ended the war very quickly and on outrageously favourable terms. And was far from unprecedented.
    • Cat NOT berating Robb for breaching a sworn oath, or ordering him to repudiate the marriage. Or resurrect polygny. Yes, Robb did the wrong thing, but he was a fifteen year old boy, in a war for the first time, responsible for thousands of lives, who just found out his brothers have been murdered (according to reports...). Cat is a supposedly mature woman, raised in a ruling Great House and Lady of Winterfell for 17 years. NO excuse there.
    • Finally, Cat murdering defenseless Jinglebell.

Every bad thing that happened to House Stark has her failures and follies printed all over it; and her last living act was to lower House Stark/Tully to the level of its enemies.

I hope UnCat falls into a well and slowly rots, along with the whole Brotherhood Of Anomie.

I am sad when I read the scene. I like Robb as a character. I do not like the fact that he died so young.

Looking back, I didn't react with the shock that I perhaps might have. I remember just putting the book down and going "Oh **** that was so cool!", which I'm not sure was the reaction that GRRM intended haha.