Northwest Indiana, not far from Lake Michigan.

Retro Sci Fi... The future as it used to be.

Exhibit 1: The Ralston Rocket, which traveled around the U.S. from city to city during the 1950s. Most likely this stunning Cold War technological leap left the Soviets terrified. Note the headgear worn by many of the shorter spectators. Each one of them was probably hoping for a boarding pass.

Last edited by greymouse; December 27th, 2012 at 08:51 PM.

What about the headgear of the women? There are a lot of them with scarves tied in a European fashion over their heads.

Northwest Indiana, not far from Lake Michigan.
    The wearing of headscarves was very common in the 1950s. Women generally covered their heads when they went out, even when it wasn't as cold as it appears to be in the above photo. A fashionable scarf or hat was the rule, even for young women. Men wore hats. I think every adult male in my extended family wore a fedora. I've been expecting such headgear to make a comeback at any time. Fedoras are cool, and quite utilitarian. (I'm not so sure about bow ties.)

The Space Patrol headgear could be obtained by mailing in 25 cents and one Ralston Cereal box top. Here's a video of the original television offer.